UConn-Oregon game thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn-Oregon game thread

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Concentrate on Wilson. Limit her touches and frustrate her. Not easy to do but Vanderveer can figure it out.

I didn't see any of the game, but Arizona St. nearly took out South Carolina. Maybe Coach CTT will share some thoughts w/ VanDerveer.

Reaction Score
UConn has now won 17 games this year against teams that were either ranked in the Top 25 when we played them, or were subsequently ranked in the Top 25. So 17 of the 36 games against ranked teams. Yet Connecticut still matched and exceeded the all-time consecutive victory mark.

Simply amazing!!!

Reaction Score
Interesting comments from Geno's post-game interview with Holly Rowe about the team's consistent, even keel attitude. At the beginning of the season he seemed miffed at their lack of emotion and engagement as if he was looking for more. A completely unexpected run through the regular season to get where they are now, and seems like he's starting to openly give credit for their unprecedented maturity at such a young collective age ("unfazed" "never hold onto anything too long" etc.).

Ironically, do I remember (correct me if I'm wrong) Geno giving an in-practice rant following the Stanford loss in 2014 to the likes of "We can't go through the season like this..." implying their inconsistent emotions and focus level? When you compare the accumulated experience level of that team of Juniors and Seniors to this year's Sophomores and Juniors it really puts this team's maturity into perspective. Question marks have turned into true strengths.

Reaction Score
thinking you have a problem that's needing a group intervention....:)

And, what are you going to do when she takes a job as the weatherwomen in Tuscon or something? :)
Tuscon is nice this time of year ha.

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts about game.

1. Kia nurse off the ball denisl defense against I was masterful.

2. Again thank god for Chong.

3. NC is amazing. Makes every shot.

4. GW is amazing.

5. We just stopped on there heart from minute one.

6. Oregon bright spot was number 10. She was good. Lexi something. Also the Oregon cheerleaders/ dance team were very entertaining.

On to the final four.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just checked the 538 site and the live trend line on this game was FLAT Uconn at 100% and UO at 0zero from start to finish.

Reaction Score
I can't believe it!!!! I don't believe it!!! What these kids have done this year is shocking! Outstanding! Amazing!!

Incredible!!!
Compared to prior expectations, this season has been about the unexpected meteoric rise of Napheesa and Saniya. I expected Pheesa to be a solid starter, and for Saniya to be riding the pine watching Crystal show how it gets done. Gabby and Lou were expected to become elite players. Anyone who predicted Collier would be a Naismith and Wade finalist, I did not read your posts.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Random historical fact: This 38-point victory is the second-largest margin ever in a regional final. The largest was UConn's 90-50 win over Florida State back in 2010.
Thanks, Jimbo. I was wondering about that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... I know taking posts from another board is frowned on but from a LV thread this was just a great line:

at this point I think geno could split his team in half and play each other and somehow both would win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Compared to prior expectations, this season has been about the unexpected meteoric rise of Napheesa and Saniya. I expected Pheesa to be a solid starter, and for Saniya to be riding the pine watching Crystal show how it gets done. Gabby and Lou were expected to become elite players. Anyone who predicted Collier would be a Naismith and Wade finalist, I did not read your posts.
Gabby was not predicted to be the player she is. Geno has often talked about the Gabby of this year compared to her previously. When KLS and Pheesa came in, they were rated very close to even and some people felt that Pheesa actually could be the better all around player. KLS was the national player of the year but Pheesa was so close it was scary. Pheesa played okay last year but didn't get the minutes because of Tuck and Stewart. Gabby's performance this year is a bigger surprise to me because I was resistant to her ability to be anything more than an exceptional athlete. She's proven me so wrong and is MY player of the game and MVP for the year on this team. Napheesa has been great too but as in todays game, Gabby started the rout with some stupendous offensive and defensive play while Pheesa was cold shooting early when UConn jumped out in front to that big lead. Pheesa ended up making probably 11 of her last 13 shots after something like a 1 for 7 start. Saniya, as mentioned has played remarkably consistently and her once weak defense, is anything but right now. She's turned that around in a major fashion. I'm so happy for Saniya and she's really proven to be invaluable. She's played very nicely all season but had a few really special games, where her contributions really made a BIG difference.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Tuscon is nice this time of year ha.

I'm not going to suggest that you Google search images using "Justine Ward Model" as your search key. The photos are very nice and entirely tastefully done. But I won't suggest that, as it would be enabling of your disorder, and I would never do that.

:p

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts about game.

6. Oregon bright spot was number 10. She was good. Lexi something. Also the Oregon cheerleaders/ dance team were very entertaining.

On to the final four.
I went to the Rose Bowl Parade a couple years ago when Oregon played Florida State. So both teams' cheerleaders were in the parade. Gotta say the Oregon cheerleaders were much more 'entertaining' than FSU's - not even close. This was not a 'personal preference' thing - everyone sitting around us said the same thing. Awesome!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So ... I know taking posts from another board is frowned on but from a LV thread this was just a great line:

at this point I think geno could split his team in half and play each other and somehow both would win.
Next year, this will be completely accurate:D:D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I went to the Rose Bowl Parade a couple years ago when Oregon played Florida State. So both teams' cheerleaders were in the parade. Gotta say the Oregon cheerleaders were much more 'entertaining' than FSU's - not even close. This was not a 'personal preference' thing - everyone sitting around us said the same thing. Awesome!!

I've seen so many positive comments regarding the Oregon cheerleaders and I just do not get it. :confused: I was at the Oregon / MD game and
all I could think of (besides how poor MD played) is how much better the MD cheerleaders were than the Oregon cheerleaders. I kept joking with my family that they should be playing instead of the BB team. The MD squad was 3x larger and did a lot of difficult routines including stationary backflips and pyramids (with girls at the base) . So much so that at times, I did not want to look for fear they would fall. The Oregon squad ( about 5 in number) limited themselves to some suggestive dancing. Perhaps I have gone crazy but I feel better getting that off my chest. :)

Reaction Score

It's a great point, and it's not a slight on our cheerleaders. Oregons were a cut above the usual. I was also very impressed with the arena sound system it was a fantastic in game experience. Combo that with brewport it was a great night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom