UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has enough 6'2" players in my opinion and the ones they have are good players. No need to add a player who won't solve the post problem.
Even if that player gave you problems?

Reaction Score
Nice defense by Barker. She looked like she was trying get Dauda's attention for an autograph.
Probably was on the verge of fouling out. Barker has the skills, but her maturity and decision making have held her back IMO.

Reaction Score
And height has nothing to do with ability. Aneesah Morrow is 6-1 (10.0 reb/game), Angel Reese 6-3 (13.4 rpg), Saylor Poffenbarger is 6-2 (11.2 rpg), Villanova's Christina Dalce who is also in the portal is 6-2 (9.4 rpg), and so on.
I think about Chantel Osahor at Washington a few seasons ago who was averaging a double double (15 and 15) as a 6'2, arguably shorter, Center. She was Plums right hand woman during her tenure there. It's all about reading the ball off the rim and fighting for position. This whole we need a 6'7 post player argument is crazy to me.

Reaction Score
I think about Chantel Osahor at Washington a few seasons ago who was averaging a double double (15 and 15) as a 6'2, arguably shorter, Center. She was Plums right hand woman during her tenure there. It's all about reading the ball off the rim and fighting for position. This whole we need a 6'7 post player argument is crazy to me.

Exactly, my daughter was 5'10-5'11 battling girls over 6 ft. She scooped up over 1000 rebounds for her career and holds the record at her school. Rebounding is about wanting the ball not height.

Reaction Score
Height, strength and quick leaping ability are all certainly helpful for rebounding, good rebounding instincts are certainly a plus, but you just got to want that ball more than the other players. That's what made Dennis Rodman such a great rebounder...he wanted it more.

Reaction Score
And height has nothing to do with ability. Aneesah Morrow is 6-1 (10.0 reb/game), Angel Reese 6-3 (13.4 rpg), Saylor Poffenbarger is 6-2 (11.2 rpg), Villanova's Christina Dalce who is also in the portal is 6-2 (9.4 rpg), and so on.
Let's not forget 6'1" Nepheesa Collier who is #4 in UCONN Career Rebounds. Averaged 8.1 per game in her career and 10.8 her Senior season.

Reaction Score
Charles Barkley is a generous 6'4" and he wasn't the Round Mound of Rebound for no good reason. It's about wanting to rebound. Look at Nika and Paige. You need some size of course to get position, but you have want to fight on the boards more than anything. You can do both effectively at 6'2" or 6'3". I'd be happy with Liz Karlen as a one year rental.

Reaction Score
Everyone seems to be focused on rebounding but the way I look at the Center we need has got to play defense against similar tall centers. A 6 foot 2 against the 6 foot 6 is not really getting it done defensively. Yes they may hustle and get rebounds, but certainly more is needed from that position, it would be nice not to have to double and triple down on a Center if we could play one on one at that spot it would allow our perimeter defense to stay with their man keeping open threes to a minimum.

Reaction Score
Everyone seems to be focused on rebounding but the way I look at the Center we need has got to play defense against similar tall centers. A 6 foot 2 against the 6 foot 6 is not really getting it done defensively. Yes they may hustle and get rebounds, but certainly more is needed from that position, it would be nice not to have to double and triple down on a Center if we could play one on one at that spot it would allow our perimeter defense to stay with their man keeping open threes to a minimum.
Yeah that would be nice but it’s not all about height. There aren’t too many 6 foot 6 plus girls out there who are actually dominant like Kamilla was. It’s still about heart, we had Amari at 6 foot 6 and she barely rebounded when she was on the court. LSU won a championship with a 6”3 center in angel Reese and last year Iowa with a 6”2 center beat South Carolina which had multiple players that were 6”3 , 6”5, and 6”6 on the court at the same time.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Charles Barkley is a generous 6'4" and he wasn't the Round Mound of Rebound for no good reason. It's about wanting to rebound. Look at Nika and Paige. You need some size of course to get position, but you have want to fight on the boards more than anything. You can do both effectively at 6'2" or 6'3". I'd be happy with Liz Karlen as a one year rental.
I doubt that Liza would be interested in UConn. She was a multi year starter at Marquette and, IMO, would be looking at schools where she was almost guaranteed to start and play meaningful minutes. I don't know if coming to UConn would meet that criteria. Don't get me wrong, if she did commit, she would be a great addition and I would be speechless.
I would also like Nova's Christina Dalce as a possible pickup and had mentioned this when she put her name in the portal.

Reaction Score
Yeah that would be nice but it’s not all about height. There aren’t too many 6 foot 6 plus girls out there who are actually dominant like Kamilla was. It’s still about heart, we had Amari at 6 foot 6 and she barely rebounded when she was on the court. LSU won a championship with a 6”3 center in angel Reese and last year Iowa with a 6”2 center beat South Carolina which had multiple players that were 6”3 , 6”5, and 6”6 on the court at the same time.

Shorter bigs also use their strength to get taller bigs out of position. 6'3" Kiah Stokes had some success against Griner in college and has made a career (and a couple of championships) playing defense against the trees for the Aces. To be sure, she has a great wingspan and a fantastic block ability:

Reaction Score
Shorter bigs also use their strength to get taller bigs out of position. 6'3" Kiah Stokes had some success against Griner in college and has made a career (and a couple of championships) playing defense against the trees for the Aces. To be sure, she has a great wingspan and a fantastic block ability:

Was Kiah only 6’3”?

Reaction Score
don't need rebounds, or points. Need someone who wants to bang underneath on the defensive end, making opponent's bigs fight for every inch, like Clingon did for our men. Would a ISNELLE NATABOU fill that role as a backup?

Reaction Score
Well Dalcy chose Maryland so she is off the list if she ever was on it. Possible choices getting slim, the only player we know Uconn has shown an interest in is Dauda, and we don't know if that is mutual, and she supposedly has been contacted by 20 schools. Barker has players following her, but there could be bad blood there, and I haven't heard anything about who is pursuing Karlen or maybe King.

Still hoping for something, but starting to realize we might not get another big this year.

Reaction Score
Still hoping for something, but starting to realize we might not get another big this year.
I have managed to achieve equanimity on this topic. I think another big would be nice as insurance. And yet I have a feeling we are more than enough as is. Yes, we need to get out from under the injury curse. But if all the injured return to form in due course, I think we’ll be very pleased with what the season brings.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
don't need rebounds, or points. Need someone who wants to bang underneath on the defensive end, making opponent's bigs fight for every inch, like Clingon did for our men. Would a ISNELLE NATABOU fill that role as a backup?
To say UConn does not need a post that can rebound is not correct. They get beaten on the boards by inferior teams. UConn needs a post who at least is a threat to score. Also, they need a post that can play good defense and bang with the opponents inside players.

Reaction Score

Would be curious to know who this might be. If it’s a “big time” post player, I would have to assume Geno would be going after her.

Reaction Score

Would be curious to know who this might be. If it’s a “big time” post player, I would have to assume Geno would be going after her.

Agreed because the pickings are getting slim. I do think it is conceivable that a player who might not have considered the portal much might rethink the issue if they knew a program like Uconn was hoping another difference making post player might enter. If allowed to dream, I might hope for a last second announcement from someone like Ayoka Lee, but at this point I would be surprised if any viable difference maker entered last second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom