UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) recruiting (only) speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Chen coming to UConn and moving KK to the off guard - not a Geno move.

Beers - not convinced UConn is on her radar.

We have no idea who has contacted UConn or who UConn has contacted. We have no idea of any discussions. None of us known what Geno and the staff are doing. Geno is not going to take a player who does not fit into the UConn program completely. Geno is who he is.

Reaction Score
Remember life before the portal? It was so much calmer then. My feeling is that if someone wants to come and buy into the program and be a true team player, a true Huskie, then fine. But if they're just coming to improve their draft status or get a free year of graduate school, then I'm more than happy with our roster as it stands right now.

Reaction Score
No lineup analysis, please. Use one of the other 3,563 threads for that.

UConn recruiting speculation welcome here
Jeez you sound like you know the habits of the majority of the posters here. And the last time I checked there was only.3,562 threads.

Reaction Score
Well, but you’re measuring stick about 95% of the coaches in this country don’t get it done
I could research it, but I doubt there are 20 active coaches. It actually made it to the final four.
What do each zero
My point was if you're a top player like say, Beers, and you're in the portal, why make a lateral move (for the sake of discussion).

Reaction Score

If Iriafen is not coming to UConn, my wish list is Beer & Chen.

After 3 years [of all y'all have seen happen {not saying it aloud at this point nor writing it, as we have watched it in real time}], I am all in for 15 scholarshipped Women, and let the practice effort and hard defensive work with efficiency in scoring take care of the playing time.

I believe those who work hard for CD & Geno, et. al. are also team oriented: NC and proper launch into the rest of their careers will come their way...

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
My point was if you're a top player like say, Beers, and you're in the portal, why make a lateral move (for the sake of discussion).
Agreed! I would say: UConn, South Carolina, or Notre Dame would be the ticket for a One Year run.

However, if you are going for two years, UConn is the BEST bet to be "launched correctly!"

Reaction Score
It is looking like all of the top fifteen are looking to await the close of portal application for immediate eligibility of May 1st to announce OR after their final Exams so they can do the spectacular social media annoucement thing...

{or is this just reverse psychology?!? :cool::D:cool:}

The decision summary so far can be found @: Transfer portal rankings: Where will Kiki Iriafen, Deja Kelly and Raegan Beers land? [Just scroll to the bottom of the article...]

If you can't have the #1 ranked player, #2 AND #3 will be alright with the fantastic Coaching resident at UConn!!!

Go (to) Huskies [Beers & Chen!!!] !!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m guessing if Chen is in Storrs now Geno is explaining that she’ll play behind KK at the point. If she is okay with that, she’s got a spot. I can’t imagine any scenario short of injury in which Geno moves KK for a grad transfer, or shoves the freshmen further down the depth chart.

Would Chen accept those terms — 10-15 mins off the bench? I suspect yes, for the same reason Lou did. It’s a better launch pad for the draft than almost anywhere else. And injuries are always possible.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing if Chen is in Storrs now Geno is explaining that she’ll play behind KK at the point. If she is okay with that, she’s got a spot. I can’t imagine any scenario short of injury in which Geno moves KK for a grad transfer, or shoves the freshmen further down the depth chart.

Would Chen accept those terms — 10-15 mins off the bench? I suspect yes, for the same reason Lou did. It’s a better launch pad for the draft than almost anywhere else. And injuries are always possible.
We did lose Nika to the W. So she could have an important role, particularly early in the season. The freshmen and the injured players may need time to get back to form.

Reaction Score

Lou got lucky with all the injuries at Uconn that year. If she had gotten just 10-15 min off the bench the year she played at Uconn, I doubt she would have been drafted that high or at all.

Reaction Score
Lou may have done just as well. She was often “assaulted” since she was a scorer. Maybe with less injury she would have achieved as much or more! Hope she is back in action for the next WNBA season.

Reaction Score
Lou may have done just as well. She was often “assaulted” since she was a scorer. Maybe with less injury she would have achieved as much or more! Hope she is back in action for the next WNBA season.

We will never know but scorer or not, she would not have gotten the touches that allowed her to score as much because she would have been the 3rd, 4th, or 5th option if Uconn was fully healthy.

Reaction Score
Chen is an awesome player from what I seen and read. But, I believe that we are better off adding a post player than a point guard. The team needs front court debt. KK is your starter at the point. Paige is a 1, 2, 3 and this year was a 4. Morgan is a point forward. Triple A. A. A. Ashlyn, Azzi, Allie are shooters but can handle the ball. Hopefully a couple of post players will tour campus soon

Reaction Score
We will never know but scorer or not, she would not have gotten the touches that allowed her to score as much because she would have been the 3rd, 4th, or 5th option if Uconn was fully healthy.
I recall Geno saying that when he first saw Lou practice somebody was going to lose their starting spot to her. And that was before all the injuries. So maybe she wouldn't have gotten quite so many touches without all the injuries, but she probably would have been a starter and an important contributor.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
The Oregon State moves beg to be studied as a whole. With (currently) a 2 yr move to WCC they probably got the Geno recruiting spiel from Rueck.

'Stay here together and I'll schedule some brutal out of conference games, we'll set a goal to win wcc league and tourney, and we'll run it back going for the win at ncaa'.

If they kept it together, they were a potential final 4 team. I personally thought they were best in PAC this year!

Once one player entered the portal though, this plan went down the drain.

Now the question is how many of them can transfer together? Could say 3-4 go to one school? Everyone says this, but the OSU group had a very close team.

If they all instead go their own solo route, UConn is perfect for Beers (or Gardiner)...but she likes the West, likes power 4 schedule (it's fun to play 18 tough league games and a tourney), and who knows what her academic and nil concerns are.

So going as a group, or just some non UConn personal concerns are reasons for a lateral move. But the match is really perfect, if she does choose UConn - both for her position and competitive demeanor. I'm still hoping.

Chen I don't get. We have 3 tiers of great guards. Paige/Azzi, KK/Ash, Allie/Morgan plus wings who can play guard in a pinch Caroline/Aubrey/Strong.

Reaction Score
I recall Geno saying that when he first saw Lou practice somebody was going to lose their starting spot to her. And that was before all the injuries. So maybe she wouldn't have gotten quite so many touches without all the injuries, but she probably would have been a starter and an important contributor.

I remember that but Geno says a lot of things that may or may not be true. I still remember 2 years in a row when he talked about how good Amari looked.

Reaction Score

What if Chen is better than KK though? Would KK accept getting non-starter minutes? I like KK but Chen is very good too

Reaction Score
The Oregon State moves beg to be studied as a whole. With (currently) a 2 yr move to WCC they probably got the Geno recruiting spiel from Rueck.

'Stay here together and I'll schedule some brutal out of conference games, we'll set a goal to win wcc league and tourney, and we'll run it back going for the win at ncaa'.

If they kept it together, they were a potential final 4 team. I personally thought they were best in PAC this year!

Once one player entered the portal though, this plan went down the drain.

Now the question is how many of them can transfer together? Could say 3-4 go to one school? Everyone says this, but the OSU group had a very close team.

If they all instead go their own solo route, UConn is perfect for Beers (or Gardiner)...but she likes the West, likes power 4 schedule (it's fun to play 18 tough league games and a tourney), and who knows what her academic and nil concerns are.

So going as a group, or just some non UConn personal concerns are reasons for a lateral move. But the match is really perfect, if she does choose UConn - both for her position and competitive demeanor. I'm still hoping.

Chen I don't get. We have 3 tiers of great guards. Paige/Azzi, KK/Ash, Allie/Morgan plus wings who can play guard in a pinch Caroline/Aubrey/Strong.
I don’t know where Chen might play, or if she starts or comes off the bench. But I believe we would be better with her on our team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chen has more experience than KK. I think they can share some minutes. Having Chen allows KK to develop more slowly. I know that Geno won’t promise PT, but I don’t think we get Chen if she expects only 15 minutes or so. Paige may start the season at SG if Azzi is not 100%. If Kaitlyn wants to be a pro, playing for Geno and with Paige will help her substantially.

I agree that we have a bigger need at C or PF, but we may not be able to get Iriafen or Beers. I’d rather have Chen than leaving a slot opén. My Plan C or D would involve the B.U. center or the Aussie N.M. JuCo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom