UConn offers Marial Mading | The Boneyard

UConn offers Marial Mading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did he commit to Hurley when at Rhode Island? Tweet says he was a former commit to RI.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
No, he committed to them last October.
I’m confused. It says online he left URI last March. Did he enroll early before leaving school to play JUCO? Looks like Florida, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon all recently offered. Why all the high major interest now?

Reaction Score
Rhode Island fans thought at the time he left it was because he was raw and wouldn't play and saw the writing on the wall.

"This time around I want to make the right choice," said Mading. "Rhode Island was a good place. I loved the coaching staff, I loved the students and the team it just wasn't the right fit. This time around I want to make sure I get that."

Bizarre to see blue blood interest now. Looks like he hit 40+% on 3s at a mobile 6'11, so I guess that'll do it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Rhode Island fans thought at the time he left it was because he was raw and wouldn't play and saw the writing on the wall.

Bizarre to see blue blood interest now. Looks like he hit 40+% on 3s at a mobile 6'11, so I guess that'll do it.
So he was on their roster last year. I’ve never seen a player go to a mid-major transfer to a juco after not playing and before the juco season even starts has tons of high major offers. Weird.

Reaction Score
I’m confused. It says online he left URI last March. Did he enroll early before leaving school to play JUCO? Looks like Florida, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon all recently offered. Why all the high major interest now?

Mading enrolled early at URI and redshirted, like Akok did, but then transferred out in May and spent most of the summer at home in Australia. His recruitment is completely baffling, and, until proven otherwise, I would consider a lot of these as “offers.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He’s highly skilled but not particularly explosive. You have to like him as a Lamar Odom type to appreciate him. I think he’s going to be pretty good but I’m not sure about it. Hopefully, he is getting big time offers because he is proving that he can perform against high D1 competition. Chipola is very close to Tally, surprised FSU isn’t on him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bring him in for first night, and he can be part of Hurley's 4-center line-up, though with Carlton and Springs, I'm not sure it's necessary.

Reaction Score
6'11", 195 pounds, our kind of guy.
But the chairs.
Where are the chairs?
When have we ever offered a Sudanese player that didn't first prove he could dribble through a line of chairs before dunking?

Here's some meat from the URI press release when he left there in May. He's the kid some of us remembered was from Springfield but about whom most knew little:

"Mading was listed as a three-star small forward by recruiting websites Rivals.com and 247Sports.com. The Rams secured the services of the 6-foot-10 perimeter player ahead of offers from Tulane, Quinnipiac, Hofstra and more. Mading verbally committed to URI after an official visit, signed a National Letter of Intent with the Rams during the early November period and attended classes at the school after graduating from Springfield Commonwealth Academy (Mass.) at the midyear.

Mading was a frequent traveler to road games with URI during its 18-15 campaign, one that featured a late run to a third straight Atlantic 10 tournament semifinal. He was projected to provide some help at the third guard or stretch forward spots, competing for minutes alongside returners Tyrese Martin, Dana Tate and Jermaine Harris. Georgetown transfer Antwan Walker also becomes eligible at the start of the 2019-20 season and should be in the mix for immediate playing time."

Reaction Score

So he was on their roster last year. I’ve never seen a player go to a mid-major transfer to a juco after not playing and before the juco season even starts has tons of high major offers. Weird.
My friend is director of ticket sales at URI. He messaged me this morning out of nowhere after finding out UConn is on him now. According to him: he was at URI all last season, was supposed to play this year then he had some family issues back in wherever he’s from. It was very sudden and hush hush when he left but he’s good. Like real good. Nearly 7 ft swing man that shoots. Has serious potential.

Reaction Score
Hopefully not a sign of what's coming with Cardwell

I think they are being smart about it. Quality 6’10-7’ players are hard to come by and get scooped up quick. Missing out on Kofi may have been a wake up call... painful... but grind is strong for our Hans Solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom