UConn Notebook: Summers Struggles To Defend Syracuse Star Amba-Tawo | The Boneyard

UConn Notebook: Summers Struggles To Defend Syracuse Star Amba-Tawo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the article huskymedic linked above:

"UConn has been outscored 31-0 in the first quarter this season."

Reaction Score
Summers was late getting started while he was peeking into the backfield on plays. The first one is glaringly bad as #7 is even with him (despite Summers lining up well off the line) before he moved.

It was a bad game and Summers acknowledges not being fully into it mentally in the article. That's where the coach needed to adjust, get some help over the top for Summers and stop the one play that was most consistently successful for Syracuse.

Frankly this game will significantly hurt Summers draft stock until and unless he puts clear improvement covering the deep ball on this year's film. Can't be a pro corner if you can't defend a go route.

Reaction Score
Cuse QB had time and made some really good throws. Credit him as much as #7. The coverage most times was "not horrible", especially the 3rd and 7 at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Summer's play wouldn't bother me as much if he hadn't been hot dogging it after he made that great hit in the 1st quarter. Read the play beautifully and made a great hit for a minimal gain or maybe a loss, can't remember. He then starts with his shoulder wags as he's walking away. Keep in mind he had already been TORCHED at that point and it continued all day. Keep your focus son, because if you were as good as you think you are, the opponent wouldn't be throwing at you all day. In fact they would do just the opposite!!
I will say this, our secondary is really falling victim to our lack of pass rush which is concerning. This is a team effort and many people need to start stepping up at this point.

Reaction Score
Syracuse coach spotted a weakness and exploited it. Maybe Bobby D could stop pontificating for a few seconds and try it some time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Summers had a very rough game. He was outright beaten at least a half dozen times and there were a few plays where he did basically stay with his man but the to size/positioning, the QB was able to get the pass in.

Reaction Score
There was a key third down play on one of Syracuse's TD drives where the Syracuse RB moved out to WR and nobody followed him. One of UConn's DB's (I didn't catch the number) in the middle of the field noticed this, pointed at him and then started running over to cover him. He did not get there in time. The Syracuse player ending up catching a pass for a fairly big gain and a first down. I was yelling real time to call a time out. I know this staff has taking a lot of heat for wasting time outs, but that would have been a good time. There was another occasion on a third an short and our defense was not set that a timeout would have also helped.
This defense has me concerned. Even with the questionable play calling on offense, I think the offense was better then it was anytime last year. With last years defense we win this game.

Reaction Score
Summers was beaten like a drum. Whenever Cuse needed a play they went to number 7. Kid ended up with 270 yards in receptions. Give Babers credit. He must have seen something to believe he could exploit that match up, as most teams have stayed away from Summers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="ScottVib, post: 1819050, member: 694"It was a bad game and Summers acknowledges not being fully into it mentally in the article. [/QUOTE]

Huh? Why wouldn't he be in to it? Did he get engaged or something?

Reaction Score
I knew we got torched in pass D. I didn't think it was record setting getting torched.

Embarrassing. In front of one of the largest crowds in years. Agsinst god damn syracuse.

Reaction Score
It was a bad game and Summers acknowledges not being fully into it mentally in the article.

Huh? Why wouldn't he be in to it? Did he get engaged or something?

Don't know, but in his own words:

"It was a challenge I didn't come prepared for," Summers said. "I was not fully mentally prepared. Being at the corner position, to see that ball thrown over your head two, three, four times, is not the best feeling."

Reaction Score
There was a key third down play on one of Syracuse's TD drives where the Syracuse RB moved out to WR and nobody followed him. One of UConn's DB's (I didn't catch the number) in the middle of the field noticed this, pointed at him and then started running over to cover him. He did not get there in time.

That was Obi who tried to recover. All day the DBacks were staring to sideline far too long to get the D call. They were playing much too far off the receivers, especially Summers. Summers needed to press cover #7. Our linebackers needed to blitz and disrupt the QB's rhythm. The failure to recognize that and adapt was the biggest reason we lost. And to run RJ three times near the goal line was insipid, stubborn and insane. It was Diaco saying, "I'll show you why the Navy call was the right one" Wrong again.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From the article huskymedic linked above:

"UConn has been outscored 31-0 in the first quarter this season."

Slow starts are absolutely killing this team. We are spotting every opponent double digit leads.

Reaction Score
If we win the toss at Houston and defer, I hope somebody punches him in the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom