Men - UConn @ Northeastern Huskies (Tuesday 5/7/24 @Friedman Diamond @1:05p) Game on NESN+, FloSports, Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & Mixlr | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Northeastern Huskies (Tuesday 5/7/24 @Friedman Diamond @1:05p) Game on NESN+, FloSports, Fox Sports Radio 97.9 & Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom 5th, M. Quigley gives up a leadoff walk, and comes out of the game. West comes in to pitch.

West hits the first batter he faces, and comes out of the game. Alejandro takes the mound.

A walk loads the bases, a wild pitch brings in a run, 14-2 Northeastern. Another walk loads the bases. A grand slam makes it 18-2 Northeastern. Ouch!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In all honesty ( and I know I’m frustrated with the way the game is going ) but “Jonesy” is flat out horrendous. The background noise emanating around him that he’s obviously doing, is half-assed and embarrassing to Uconn as the baseball programs’s announcers. His quality calling a game has dropped off a cliff the past 2 seasons. Everyone can chime in and stand up for “Jonesy” but this is a disgrace to Div. 1 college baseball.
Feel better?

… talk about kicking the dog.

Reaction Score
Top 6th, Tammaro with a 1 out triple, Broadhurst follows with an RBI single, 18-3 Northeastern. UConn offense leaves 2 runners on base.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
We’ve been on the other side of quite a few of these over the years. Now we know how much they hurt.

That Hurts New York Film Festival GIF by Film at Lincoln Center

Reaction Score
Bottom 6th, Sean Finn takes the mound, Ryan Hyde takes over at the catcher spot.

Finn gives up a 1 out single, he comes out of the game with 2 outs. Tom Turner comes in to pitch. Getting Turner some time on the mound assuming the Mercy Rule is in effect for this game.

A 2 out double puts 2 runners in scoring position, Turner gets a strikeout to end the inning with no runs coming in this inning for the first time for Northeastern this game. 18-3 Northeastern.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 7th, UConn offense goes down in order. Northeastern wins 18-3. To say the obvious, an ugly game for UConn.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Ugly loss. 8 homers for Northeastern. Wow. Gotta turn the page quickly.

You Got This It Gets Better GIF by INTO ACTION

Reaction Score
Can we be honest with ourselves? Good for this team that they're leading the Big East, and I hope they hold on and win it, but they are just not a good baseball team. They're good enough to beat bad teams, but they're not good. We do not deserve an at large if we don't win the conference tourney, but we're also not good enough to make any noise in the NCAAs if we get there.

Win the league. Have an accomplishment and trophy to tell your kids about. That's the reasonable goal. If we accomplish that, we can be looking to the post season and hoping for a lot of luck.

Reaction Score
I think RPI chasing can end up being a mirage. It is more than okay to me that this year the chase is for regular season & conference championships. Some years it doesn’t all come together. As long as the team shows fight and sticks together, good stuff happens. Nobody else in the BE is showing me any more than UConn. Northeastern is a good club. A Tuesday on the road? Remember what happened to MBB at Creighton. Still in the hunt.

Reaction Score
Can we be honest with ourselves? Good for this team that they're leading the Big East, and I hope they hold on and win it, but they are just not a good baseball team. They're good enough to beat bad teams, but they're not good. We do not deserve an at large if we don't win the conference tourney, but we're also not good enough to make any noise in the NCAAs if we get there.

Win the league. Have an accomplishment and trophy to tell your kids about. That's the reasonable goal. If we accomplish that, we can be looking to the post season and hoping for a lot of luck.
This is completely fair. If we do happen to make tourney which we all hope we do, we would really struggle with any Power 4 teams. Something has just been off with this team all year.

Reaction Score
Ellisen not available to pitch today, a test on his arm was not positive according to Chris Jones.
That stinks, so now down Ellisen and Schild.

Reaction Score
That stinks, so now down Ellisen and Schild.

It may be a very short term thing with Ellisen, or it may not be. We'll have to see.

Whatever the case, given that UConn baseball doesn't have a lot of current pitching depth, such injuries do hurt.

Reaction Score
Are we tipping our pitches? I mean Jeeez. What the hell is going on

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Are we tipping our pitches? I mean Jeeez. What the hell is going on
Sure seemed that way…but I think it’s just a talent thing right now. Seems like this off season will have to bring significant changes in the pitching staff.

Reaction Score
This is completely fair. If we do happen to make tourney which we all hope we do, we would really struggle with any Power 4 teams. Something has just been off with this team all year.

I am inclined to think that if S. Quigley, Coe, or Cooke start a game, UConn could be pretty competitive against solid teams in the NCAA Tournament, if UConn makes it. But winning a game could be pretty tough if none of those guys start unless someone takes a big step forward suddenly.

Reaction Score
I am inclined to think that if S. Quigley, Coe, or Cooke start a game, UConn could be pretty competitive against solid teams in the NCAA Tournament, if UConn makes it. But winning a game could be pretty tough if none of those guys start unless someone takes a big step forward suddenly.
Those 3 guys are potentially a good bet but the margin for error is extremely slim. You can dream on it a little bit and hope to get good breaks but at the end of the day it seems like it would take a lot of really good luck and everything to go our way if they are going to make noise in the postseason this year.

Reaction Score
4-5 against New England opponents will not inspire the committee to grant us an at-large berth. Northeastern is a more deserving choice. We win the (weak) Big East tourney, or go home, as warranted.

Reaction Score
Those 3 guys are potentially a good bet but the margin for error is extremely slim. You can dream on it a little bit and hope to get good breaks but at the end of the day it seems like it would take a lot of really good luck and everything to go our way if they are going to make noise in the postseason this year.

No question the lack of quality depth on the pitching staff is hurting UConn this season, and it certainly could impact the teams chances in post season games as well. I am certainly not denying that. Looks like big trouble if they do not get good games from the weekend starters.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lose 1 game in BET and then what happens? Can't trust anyone who pitched today. That is our biggest problem unless Schild comes back or Ellison comes back and pitches much better.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
4-5 against New England opponents will not inspire the committee to grant us an at-large berth. Northeastern is a more deserving choice. We win the (weak) Big East tourney, or go home, as warranted.
Sadly, I think you’re are spot on here.

Reaction Score
Big problem for UConn is the lack of quality pitching depth, and that includes the bullpen. Chris Jones has been talking about the lack of pitching depth on the team during this broadcast. Some pitchers who have not been doing well are going to have to take a big step forward if UConn is going to do anything in the post season tournaments.

As for pitching Van Emon, guess they think with his talent that his arm has that he has potential that they like. Too bad that he can't put that talent to really work during these starts.

As mentioned above, during the game broadcast against Northeastern yesterday, Chris Jones during the broadcast was talking about UConn's lack of quality pitching depth.

In addition, he also was talking about pitchers hopefully showing improvement during the coming summer ball season, and hopefully the improvement would continue during fall ball when the players return to UConn next semester. Quinn was one player who had a terrific summer season last year, and he has done well during this spring season with UConn.

One player Chris Jones talked about for next season was Avery Point transfer Alex Mach, who has been redshirted for this season. CJ said that Mach has looked good during practice sessions at UConn during this season, so he talked about him doing summer ball, and possibly making an impact next season. CJ did not say why Mach was redshirted (I don't know if he was injured earlier in the season which might have kept him from pitching in games). The funny thing is, Mach was one of the newcomers to the pitching staff who I was looking forward to seeing get some pitching time, but obviously he never saw time in a game this season.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would assume Penders and Coach Mac have a big board on pitchers and if they redshirt someone, they feel that it will be worth it down the road. Or he could have had a small injury that would have kept him out of the lineup for a part of the season so then it made sense to redshirt. In any event, he hopefully can be a solution next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom