UCONN Needs to stay in the Big East! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Needs to stay in the Big East!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Personally I would prefer the BiG10 as they are mostly state schools like us and quality research programs, but they aren't going to invite us.

It would be awful to go to a league with no real challengers to the UConn women. Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin.... Geno would have to load up the schedule at the front end of the season with strong teams if the Huskies went to the Big Teneleventwelve. At least the ACC has some great teams with the possibility of some terrific rivalries with Geno's squad.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
We need to try to look ahead to the next logical and probably extension of college amateur sports which will undoubtedly be ROLLERBALL! THAT will bring in the ol TV moolah!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
actually IMHO, TV drives the bus. football just keeps its successful schools equiped with the buses and gas.;)
And viewership drives TV's. They have things down to a science, even in reporting the news. They have surveys and actual audience viewing to determine what people are watching and how it breaks down demographically and geographically. ESPN could care less whether it is football or tiddlywinks that people want to see. As long as there is an audience and they can get revenues from advertising or cable enrollments they will show the sport.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
And viewership drives TV's. They have things down to a science, even in reporting the news. They have surveys and actual audience viewing to determine what people are watching and how it breaks down demographically and geographically. ESPN could care less whether it is football or tiddlywinks that people want to see. As long as there is an audience and they can get revenues from advertising or cable enrollments they will show the sport.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Which all of course, leads to one simple conclusion---WE are in charge!!! Yeah right...but TV has ads, and ads sell products, and guess who buys them...it's the vicious circle of capitalism out of control:confused::(

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Which all of course, leads to one simple conclusion---WE are in charge!!! Yeah right...but TV has ads, and ads sell products, and guess who buys them...it's the vicious circle of capitalism out of control:confused::(
"Capitalism" is a catch phrase the way you are using it. The collective we are in charge. It's just very hard for the collective we to change. Talk news shows would shrivel up if no one watched them. They survive and flourish because lots of people prefer this form of news presentation. The media is only concerned about profits. Every season various networks present various programming. Some survive the season. Others don't. The success is predicated on viewership.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If four 16 team super conferences are formed I don't believe the NCAA will continue to exist for these teams. They will dump the NCAA and will control all the bowl games. Without the bowl games thr NCAA has no power. I also think you can expect all these super conferences to have their own playoff games. More games more money!!!!

If UConn wants to remain in the football picture they will have to be in a super conference. The ACC is their best bet now. A merger with the left out Big 12 teams won't work for very long. The teams would be constantly searching for a better conference.
that may not happen. IF the ACC goes to 16 and the Pac 12 does as well, the SEC apparently has already rejected WVU, which would have been a logical add. the SEC may stay put, or may poach at their leisure. if they are able to nab FSU and Va Tech from the ACC, that will mean growing for the SEC, and the ACC will probably add a few more, but the big 10 has shown no inclination to grow the league.

if that happens, the leftovers from the old BE and the old big 12 would join their own league. TCU, Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Cinci, L'ville, WVU, UCONN, RU, USF, and maybe a few others + or - depending on whether UCONN or RU find new homes. that would give 5 conferences not 4. i'm not sure what they do at that point.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It would be awful to go to a league with no real challengers to the UConn women. Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin.... Geno would have to load up the schedule at the front end of the season with strong teams if the Huskies went to the Big Teneleventwelve. At least the ACC has some great teams with the possibility of some terrific rivalries with Geno's squad.
Just thinking of the concept of an association - like minded programs and Universities. Since sports are driving this and football above all else. the ACC is not a bad place for us to land. I really like the idea of matching up with BC again on the women's side and would cherish whipping Maryland twice a year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
that may not happen. IF the ACC goes to 16 and the Pac 12 does as well, the SEC apparently has already rejected WVU, which would have been a logical add. the SEC may stay put, or may poach at their leisure. if they are able to nab FSU and Va Tech from the ACC, that will mean growing for the SEC, and the ACC will probably add a few more, but the big 10 has shown no inclination to grow the league.

if that happens, the leftovers from the old BE and the old big 12 would join their own league. TCU, Baylor, Kansas, K-State, Cinci, L'ville, WVU, UCONN, RU, USF, and maybe a few others + or - depending on whether UCONN or RU find new homes. that would give 5 conferences not 4. i'm not sure what they do at that point.

If those other four intend to finish expanding to 4 x 16 then it will happen and anyone else will be stuck out in the cold. The best of the best will be in those conferences and they will control their own fate and rules and will not worry in the least about the NCAA or anyone else. Will anyone care about any team not in the Super 4, not much because tv will be filled with those games.

Reaction Score
The Big East has lost BC, VT, the Orange, and Miami. Effectively that makes the BIG East a second tier conference with the exception of ND. At some point, that will impact UNONN’s program in the way recruits view the team, won’t it? Call me crazy but doesn’t UNONN have to go to another conference to maintain their dominance.

Reaction Score
If UConn goes to the ACC, say goodbye to the conference championships being held in Hartford. Of course, I COULD see Mohegan Sun getting a good bid in for having the championships there. And no more trips to MSG for the guy's tourney....

Reaction Score
If UConn goes to the ACC, say goodbye to the conference championships being held in Hartford. Of course, I COULD see Mohegan Sun getting a good bid in for having the championships there. And no more trips to MSG for the guy's tourney....

If UConn and Rutgers join, the ACC would be insane not to consider a run at MSG.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If UConn and Rutgers join, the ACC would be insane not to consider a run at MSG.

The ACC tournament rotates cities every few years. The ACC commissioner spoke yesterday about looking at MSG for future tournaments.

Reaction Score
This is not true. UConn is fairly unique in this respect. We were a basketball powerhouse, both men and women, without the football $$$$. With that said, we would be fools not to join the ACC.
The top conferences will rig the game so that only those 64 play for real money. That's life.

Reaction Score
It seems most favor joining the ACC for more more money & recruits. Didn't Miami leave the Big East & join the ACC & now look at what's happened to it's sports program. For money, it has turned in to nothing more than a pig pen, coaches, players , & alumni all involved. So, shouldn't integrity & loyalty be the goal line.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It seems most favor joining the ACC for more more money & recruits. Didn't Miami leave the Big East & join the ACC & now look at what's happened to it's sports program. For money, it has turned in to nothing more than a pig pen, coaches, players , & alumni all involved. So, shouldn't integrity & loyalty be the goal line.
It always was.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Given that very few locations could support a WBB conference tourney at the same level of monetization as a CT location, the state of Connecticut would continue to be an extremely strong candidate to host the event.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Given that very few locations could support a WBB conference tourney at the same level of monetization as a CT location, the state of Connecticut would continue to be an extremely strong candidate to host the event.

Hmmmmm.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hmmmmm.
I could see an NC location too, but there is no way that CT isn't going to have the event with some frequency. There was all kinds of talk about Louisville or other BE locations being options, but in the end, no one showed the necessary initiative to make the powers that be in the BEast comfortable with moving away from Hartford. Because of the proximity of VA, NC, and SC schools, plus some novelty of having UConn in the league too, I could see the tourney being successful in the Triangle or Charlotte, but there's no way an ACC with UConn in it would shy from having the tourney in CT on a pretty regular basis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I could see an NC location too, but there is no way that CT isn't going to have the event with some frequency. There was all kinds of talk about Louisville or other BE locations being options, but in the end, no one showed the necessary initiative to make the powers that be in the BEast comfortable with moving away from Hartford. Because of the proximity of VA, NC, and SC schools, plus some novelty of having UConn in the league too, I could see the tourney being successful in the Triangle or Charlotte, but there's no way an ACC with UConn in it would shy from having the tourney in CT on a pretty regular basis.

It will never be in the Triangle or Charlotte.... if its gonna be in NC... it will be in Greensboro. Nowhere else. Charlotte has never expressed a desire to have the tourney there once in left in the late 90's. The ACC doesnt have tournament sites that are also the home arena of a member school... so that counts out Raleigh.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I really hate to have to even write this... but UCONN must stay in the Big East. A move to the ACC is not in our best interest. First off when the three Big East teams left for the ACC UCONN was one of the key universities that pushed to prevent the move, threatened and even filed lawsuits against BC, VTech, and Maimi. Our Attorney General filed a lawsuit (Dickie B).... which I do not think went anywhere... (Can anyone tell me what happened with Dickie's lawsuit?). If we switch over.... what would that say about us? Especially after we fought to prevent it. The BIG EAST is our home... we should be loyal... with the departure of Pitt and Cuse we only need 1 team to be back up to 16 with the addition of TCU. There has to be a good one out there... Indiana, Ohio State, somewhere in Penn?
I don't know what it is that you are drinking but I want a bottle of it!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The lawsuit against the ACC was dismissed on jurisdictional grounds, while BC was eventually exonerated by a declaratory judgment from the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. Even though the lawsuits were dismissed in court, a secret out-of-court settlement was later reached. It was disclosed that each remaining Big East school received $1 million,
Thank you. No one ever points this out or even realizes it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what if we don't have a home?

I wouldn't mind staying if WVU, Louisville, TCU were all staying, but I don't think that they are

Reaction Score
BE is done. I just don't see how it can survive.

ESPN destroyed the BE using the ACC. It is easy to plant doubts into any school's future if you spread enough rumors. Pitt and Cuse decided it is time to bail and could careless about partners they left behind. We are on our own. Let's hope we land somewhere to starty over.

F

fortebleedsblue

i dont care where uconn goes as long as we dont play notre dame i hate them

So you would rather play In the Mac or confirm USA than vs ND?

Reaction Score
what if we don't have a home?

I wouldn't mind staying if WVU, Louisville, TCU were all staying, but I don't think that they are

Our Basketball and Olympic sports will always have a home in the Big East and with SJU, VU and Georgetown in the conference - the league will always be strong enough to produce a Final Four/National Championship caliber team. Heck even the likes of VCU, Butler and Memphis have done it very recently (and Gonzaga is always close).

As for football, without AQ status the best case scenario is always Boise State or Utah (in the MWC). Realistically we'll probably be similar to a Fresno State or ECU and our average attendance will hover around 30,000 about 5,000 less than now. Not ideal, but not apocalyptic either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom