UCONN - NC State post mortem thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN - NC State post mortem thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was very disappointed like everyone else here. I thought we were out hustled, outplayed and perhaps most disturbing to me very outcoached. I saw no second half adjustments on Rivers, no defensive changes of any kind of tangible substance. I don't understand why we did not use a Box and 1 with Aubrey or Nika on Rivers and simply face guard her like Kia used to do and make the rest of the team beat us. If we tried it, I didn't see it. Being outhustled is simply not acceptable for UCONN. I also thought that the early substitutions of Q, KK and Brady hurt the team, because it altered the early flow and fluidity of the starters and Aubrey and was counterproductive. We were up by double figures at that point. Finally, while everyone is praising Q here, who deserves it, her defense is weak but it did not stand out because our entire defense is weak, uncharacteristically disorganized, and fundamentally unsound with regard to boxing out and switching at this point. If it doesn't change and fast, it is going to be a long season with several out of league losses. Final note, referees were awful as they usually are in women's basketball. I don't understand how, after last year's NC embarrassment of an officiated game, it just never changes.

Reaction Score
Bottomline was that they outplayed us .

Totally outrebounded us.

Had to leave with 2 min left--had a feel they were gonna storm the court.

Bueckers and Samuels came to play.

Taurasi and Griner were there most of game.

Am never going to a NC State game again. Obnoxious fans. Some even cheered when Griffin was on ground in pain. Wasn't even students, was actually alumni adults. Had to turn around and say something

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Azzi shot 4-13 and 1-7 from three. AE shot 8-17 most of them bunnies. You can't win with number's like that against a team like NC State. They need to get their act together or the will lose to Maryland.

Reaction Score
DOMINATED!!!!
I just flushed my lofty expectations down the toilet…. Rivers was the best player/guard on the floor. Uconn has no legitimate bigs… won’t be able to compete against the best teams with talented bigs and good guards who are willing to play tough defense. Uconn has to shoot lights out, because they won’t get second chances… This NC was no fluke!

Reaction Score
Azzi picked the wrong time to lose her 3 point shot. She went 1 for 7. If she had gone 5 for 7 (which she is entirely capable of doing), the extra 12 points would have been enough to squeak out a win.

Reaction Score

Totally outrebounded us.

Am never going to a NC State game again. Obnoxious fans. Some even cheered when Griffin was on ground. Had to say something to a young couple.
What? Cheering when a player was on the ground?? Awful.

Reaction Score
I was very disappointed like everyone else here. I thought we were out hustled, outplayed and perhaps most disturbing to me very outcoached. I saw no second half adjustments on Rivers, no defensive changes of any kind of tangible substance. I don't understand why we did not use a Box and 1 with Aubrey or Nika on Rivers and simply face guard her like Kia used to do and make the rest of the team beat us. If we tried it, I didn't see it. Being outhustled is simply not acceptable for UCONN. I also thought that the early substitutions of Q, KK and Brady hurt the team, because it altered the early flow and fluidity of the starters and Aubrey and was counterproductive. We were up by double figures at that point. Finally, while everyone is praising Q here, who deserves it, her defense is weak but it did not stand out because our entire defense is weak, uncharacteristically disorganized, and fundamentally unsound with regard to boxing out and switching at this point. If it doesn't change and fast, it is going to be a long season with several out of league losses. Final note, referees were awful as they usually are in women's basketball. I don't understand how, after last year's NC embarrassment of an officiated game, it just never changes.
I always love the “out coached” people. Short of tackling Rivers and breaking her legs there wasn’t much UConn could do. She was in the zone today and pretty much unguardable. She had a great game. Congratulate Rivers on a job well done.

Reaction Score
Tentative because of previous concussions and other times being hit in the head?
I like CD's game. She is slow, but she has basketball smarts and often knows what is the right basketball play. The ball always "finds" her. Unfort, her concussion issues obviously make her more cautious in terms of her flow. Maybe as she gets more confidence, she will be a consistent "6th man" contributor.

Reaction Score
When we were up, Nika was shooting and making shots. After she missed one, she quit shooting. She also had 5 assists in the first half, but only one in the second half. Edwards didn't do much from the start and was shooting poorly like Azzi, but at least she came to life in the fourth quarter to post decent numbers.

Reaction Score
So, I've read a bunch of post here. We break down as follows:

A. The sky is falling. No chance we will ever win another game again. (this is only mildly hyperbolic if you read some of this stuff)

B. Showed some fundamental weaknesses that will have to be addressed.

C. No reason at all to worry. A bad game, both in terms of quality of play and enthusiasm, and badly called especially at key moments. Playing a team at home that was better than expected AND playing at their best. There's a difference between slow, and running slow. There's a difference between being too small and playing mostly with your feet glued to the ground. There is a difference between being a bad shooter and shooting badly.

Mostly as a group we favor A and B. I feel like an outcast as a group C but I thought they looked terrible in the first quarter and were lucky (mostly due to turnovers both ways) and it was just that a bad bad horrible day and I don't look to see it happening again. Geno should obviously use the game as a learning experience but I'm hoping it's basically stay the course.

Reaction Score
They didn’t play well no argument. Defense was completely ineffective no argument. Second game of season and there is a lot of time left. Roles are not cemented, experience for freshman will shake out the players from the kids who aren’t ready. Starters are not set in stone. I say be patient. Let team evolve, let them get some experience playing with one another and then start having thoughts about what they are in Feb. geno gonna have their attention now. They’re no where good enough to win games just walking out on floor….but let’s not bury them or determine ceilings mid November.

Reaction Score

Totally outrebounded us.

Am never going to a NC State game again. Obnoxious fans. Some even cheered when Griffin was on ground. Had to say something to a young couple.
Wow, that’s too bad. NC State looks like they have a good team. You could be watching so good basketball. Especially in a conference like the ACC with so many really good teams.

Reaction Score
The Vegas line for the over/ under total points was 138. They projected a 74-64 UCONN victory.
The total poinst for this game was 173 points, 35 points over projection. Nobody could have predicted that the Huskies would surrender 92 points!
Was UCONN's defense overrated or NC State's offense underrated? Or both??

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno has some serious work to do. He has to rethink his starters and rotation. Maybe Samuels, Aubry and should start next game.

7 - 22 from the three point line is not the mark of a good shooting team. Being out rebounded by 41 - 29 is not good. Defense was porous all game. NC State guards drove right thru us. Poor offense, bad passes.

This was a poor perfomance. Outside of Paige and Samuels, not great.

I'll give NC State credit. They played lights out. Beat us in every phase of the game. Saniya Rivers has a career game. She is the real deal.

Reaction Score
No powerful post player. Indeed, no post player at all. We are too small to compete with the teams that are big, and strong. South Carolina is either the top team in the nation (my opinion) or second. We will get clobbered by South Carolina.

Time to take off the rose-colored glasses.

Reaction Score
Geno has some serious work to do. He has to rethink his starters and rotation. Maybe Samuels, Aubry and should start next game.

7 - 22 from the three point line is not the mark of a good shooting team. Being out rebounded by 41 - 29 is not good. Defense was porous all game. NC State guards drove right thru us. Poor offense, bad passes.

This was a poor perfomance. Outside of Paige and Samuels, not great.

I'll give NC State credit. They played lights out. Beat us in every phase of the game. Saniya Rivers has a career game. She is the real deal.
Edwards was solid.

Reaction Score
I predict "the UConn Effect" will strike NC State. That's when an underdog beats UConn and they lose their very next game. Has happened time and time again. We'll see if I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom