UConn - Minnesota post game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn - Minnesota post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
huh? Nika is a career 34% shooter from 3-point line. She was 1-4 yesterday. She's shooting 41% from the field her entire career. She's never been a volume scorer/shooter. That's not her skill set. If Geno is relying on Nika to suddenly become a 15-20 ppg scorer, this team is in big, big trouble. What she should have been developing the last 4 years is a mid-range game or consistent driving to the hoop. But, she never developed that skill-set nor has shown it consistently. she has other skill-sets, but being a reliable scorer/shooter is not one of them. She's a perfect PG for a team loaded with scorers and shooters. Unfort., we don't seem to have that this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The comparison was with Samuels, not Arnold.
Never Mind Baby GIF

Oops.

(The same comment would apply to Q. Maybe more so.)

Reaction Score
You can be critical of Nika even when she does things well. I have been one of Nika's biggest supporters but this season her insistence on initiating the offense is really starting to bother me, especially when KK and/or Paige are in the game with her. She dribbles in one place way too much and slows down the movement when she gets the ball. I don't get whats going on there but it needs to stop.

As anyone can she plays good defense and she is able to score off the ball the ball this year with her shooting improvements. Even more reason for her to play off the ball imo. If this continues we are going to have a low ceiling offensively.

Reaction Score
most will forget or not admit it or say that she was wide open and that is the only reason why. I'd say, she is pretty solid from 3 - generally needs a split second longer to get it off, but she is not the primary scorer so no biggie.

Good to see you didn't forget!

Reaction Score
This team is winning with defense right now. Offensively the efficiency isn't there yet. Hopefully that gets worked out.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
-UConn broke open a close game because Minnesota could not handle the Huskies depth.
-Sometimes a loss serves as a wake up call. The second straight game where UConn was terrific defensively.
-If Dawn Plitzuweit can recruit, she will turn Minnesota around. They are solid defensively.
-UConn consistently takes away the other team’s top scorer. Today it was Mara Braun. Came in averaging 21, finished with 12 on 4-21 shooting.
-I admit, I thought Nika would be the odd guard out but after watching her play off Paige and showing tons of confidence with her shot, Nika has to be on the floor. She was terrific today.
-CD showed some progress today but still a long way from she was when she was healthy. Geno is showing patience and bringing her along slowly. LIke many, I worry about her health.
-I am not worried about the shooting percentage, missed layups or turnovers. If they stay healthy and he stays with playing 9 or 10, this team will be great by season’s end.
-If Ice continues to progress as expected, their best five has to be with her and Liyah on the floor at the same time.
Nika has spent her entire career at UConn dismissing rumors of her imminent demise.

I've been a big fan of hers since the beginning, but more than once I questioned how she could avoid being displaced in the line-up.

Like the proverbial Energizer Bunny or a Timex watch she just keeps going and going.

She'll be remembered around here forever.

Reaction Score
Again, Nika had 11 points on 5-9 shooting. Aaliyah had 16 points (8-15), Paige had 12 (4-12) and Nika was third high, and the most efficient, scorer. People have been complaining about Nika’s scoring for so long, it’s become automatic, I think
I think it’s just about more consistency. No one says she can’t do it but you can’t take 9 shots one game and 4 another if the offense isn’t putting points up. She did good last game but you can’t say she was doing that much offensively for the prior three.

Reaction Score
You can be critical of Nika even when she does things well. I have been one of Nika's biggest supporters but this season her insistence on initiating the offense is really starting to bother me, especially when KK and/or Paige are in the game with her.
I’m curious why you think it is Nika’s insistence (unlikely) instead of Geno’s directions (more likely).

Reaction Score
You can be critical of Nika even when she does things well. I have been one of Nika's biggest supporters but this season her insistence on initiating the offense is really starting to bother me, especially when KK and/or Paige are in the game with her. She dribbles in one place way too much and slows down the movement when she gets the ball. I don't get whats going on there but it needs to stop.

As anyone can she plays good defense and she is able to score off the ball the ball this year with her shooting improvements. Even more reason for her to play off the ball imo. If this continues we are going to have a low ceiling offensively.
You really think "its her insistence" and not Geno's?

Secondly, when Paige has the point, why would you want her passing to Nika for a shot rather than Nika passing to Paige?

And there is no way no way she slows down the movement of the ball. IMO you are confusing "slow down the mvoement" vs goign "one-on-one."

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think it’s just about more consistency. No one says she can’t do it but you can’t take 9 shots one game and 4 another if the offense isn’t putting points up. She did good last game but you can’t say she was doing that much offensively fnor the prior three.
well, there are very, very few who are shooting consistently, so nika doesn't deserve special scrutiny. OTOH, she's very consistent on defense, even though she's not MoJeff.

and why when nika has a cold day from 3 is it more fodder for the nika critics than when paige or azzi's shot is off?

why do we have to defend her over and over?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, Nika had 11 points on 5-9 shooting. Aaliyah had 16 points (8-15), Paige had 12 (4-12) and Nika was third high, and the most efficient, scorer. People have been complaining about Nika’s scoring for so long, it’s become automatic, I think
Call me when she starts averaging 11! I’m not at all dissatisfied with her play although she seems to have lost a half step on her defense but one game does not a scorer make! If she can maintain this, then we’ll really havesomething.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Call me when she starts averaging 11! I’m not at all dissatisfied with her play although she seems to have lost a half step on her defense but one game does not a scorer make! If she can maintain this, then we’ll really havesomething.
average shot attempts for nika might be a cause for that.

nika is not supposed to be a go-to scorer! she knows her role.

Reaction Score
well, there are very, very few who are shooting consistently, so nika doesn't deserve special scrutiny. OTOH, she's very consistent on defense, even though she's not MoJeff.

and why when nika has a cold day from 3 is it more fodder for the nika critics than when paige or azzi's shot is off?

Oh!oh!oh! Maybe because they routinely, Paige anyway, carry the bulk of the scoring load and (Paige especially) rarely has a day where her shot is off for the whole game!

Reaction Score
She's been rock solid on Defense. This last game, holding her opposition to 2-10 from the field. I think that is better than most anybody on the court. Nika scores enough. I don't thinking anybody is 'calling' anybody on here.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to point out that Minnesota was not a cupcake and is coached very well. Before yesterday's game they were 3-0. Nika was responsible as was Griffin in keeping the go to MN player struggling to score. That is always Geno's strategy, even before Kelly and Kia.

Reaction Score

what should really be commented, is when NM has a poor day on defense not her offense. That may be once or twice a year. Same said for our primary scorers but that would be if they are off on offense. It seems our scorers are usually off of their game (slanted to the offensive end) more than NM is ever off of hers (more slanted to the defensive end).

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Oh!oh!oh! Maybe because they routinely, Paige anyway, carry the bulk of the scoring load and (Paige especially) rarely has a day where her shot is off for the whole game!
carrying the scoring load is NOT nika's responsibility.

and she obviously shouldn't be measured against paige. good lord.

sun

Reaction Score
Carol & Aubrey had very similar stats commensurate with their PT sharing 39 minutes between them & scoring a total of 4 points.
I think their low scoring led Nika to score several more points due to her survival mode kicking in for playing 37 minutes.
Paige's shooting seems to be affected by her thumb.
The offense was highly reliant on Edwards.
UConn's primary players scored over 40 points while the secondary players scored about 19 points.
Both teams could have played better, but it ended up looking like a sloppy game against a Big East opppnent except Minnesota had a big.
UConn's greatest strength in this game seems to have involved their teamwork & the ability to spread its offense around enough to include the freshmen.
UConn's point production has decreased every game so far.

Reaction Score
paige was recruited to be a scoring machine. Nika was recruited to be a point, play defense and probably come off the bench with some energy. If that is true and I would think it is, Nika has outplayed GA's expectations.

Plays are run specifically for paige and she normally delivers. Nika is supposed to find scorers and be an opportunistic scorer, which in general, I thinks she has been, along with being a premier defensive player, hence her AA status. You think GA thought he recruited a potential AA in nika...doubtful. No doubt he thought he recruited a generational talent in paige.

Reaction Score
It's a sad situation since CD has such a high basketball IQ and is highly skilled. But right now, if I can borrow a great movie line, her brain is trying to write checks that her body can't cash. I'm really surprised Geno is starting her. Maybe she can do certain things in practice, but when it comes to real-time game speed against press-up defense, she can't execute. The drop-off in her game speed is very noticeable and her body posture is very awkward when trying to run/execute plays. If I can see it, I'm sure the coaching staff can as well.
We all see it (well, most of us do anyway). I'm sure Geno is starting her for many reasons. She probably does shine brighter in practice (due to less lights and relatively no noise). But in addition, he knows that when she begins to find herself and regain her confidence he has a proven winner. Putting her on the bench will do nothing to help that happen. She is playing relatively good defense, making steals and causing turnovers. She's hurting nothing by being in the starting lineup at this point. If she was, Geno would remove her.

Reaction Score
I think that when Ayanna returns full time we will see more of Aaliyah and Ice together on the floor. They will resemble Aaliyah and Dorka, except Ice has to find a way to get more rebounds. I believe the lineup you mentioned will be the line-up going forward once Ayanna returns and Azzi is fit to play. Please gods, make Azzis injury not serious.
Not to throw more gas on the fire but, why aren’t we seeing Ice post up some of these smaller players? As strong as she is, it seems like she could really do some damage under the basket. I watched time after time yesterday as she simply floated around the free throw line when smaller players were guarding the paint! I think she could easily pick up 6-10 points a game against many of these teams by simply using her bulk and strength under the basket! I must be missing something.

Reaction Score
and this is why Nika was recruited along with her passing abilities and passion. Her 5-6 points a game is just gravy. Scorers need to score and nika will do her thing as she has done for over 3 plus years now...hence her AA status!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno sang her praises after yesterday’s game, said her defense was outstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01