UConn MHOC 23-24 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 23-24

Reaction Score
It's very surprising it's not in Hartford, especially since it'll be winter break then, campus will be pretty empty.

Reaction Score
From Mike McMahon’s College Hockey Insider:

UConn is 1st in the country in difference between expected goals (4.50) vs actual goals (2.30)

UConn’s penalty kill is 2nd best in the country by allowing one power play goal every 33:44 minutes

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well written analysis of Sergeev’s shortcomings. Haider is my guy.
With goals at such a premium, you would think that was the logical choice. I’ve found, however, that logic and hockey oftentimes just don’t mix.

Reaction Score
With goals at such a premium, you would think that was the logical choice. I’ve found, however, that logic and hockey oftentimes just don’t mix.
Cav doesn't want to hurt anybody's feelings ...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Number 43 in Pairwise (we are significantly last among Hockey East teams).

Reaction Score
Number 43 in Pairwise (we are significantly last among Hockey East teams).

Ultimately it’s their record in HE that counts and will determine their position and likelihood to advance. Pairwise watching isn’t helpful until the last few weeks of the season. As an example take a look at last season when we were on a fools gold bandwagon and then gradually saw the huskies play themselves out of the top 13 for an at large selection. What they need to do is take care of business, particularly in HE and earn a home game for the playoffs - or maybe based on how they have performed at home so far perhaps they go for 5th place and play one game on the road to get to TD garden :p

Reaction Score
UConn is definitely not as bad as Northeastern. Northeastern is horrible this season.

Friday night Northeastern was out shot by Providence 40-9. They are 2-5 overall and 0-5 in Hockey East. Their only wins are against Stonehill and Bentley. Life without Levi and McDonough is rough.

Reaction Score
UConn is definitely not as bad as Northeastern. Northeastern is horrible this season.

Friday night Northeastern was out shot by Providence 40-9. They are 2-5 overall and 0-5 in Hockey East. Their only wins are against Stonehill and Bentley. Life without Levi and McDonough is rough.
They're bad but have had quite a few injuries.

Reaction Score
Any word on whether Haider is Friday night’s starter yet? I would think that this is the weekend to do it, if so…also, I just read Haider has another year of eligibility remaining after this season. News to me. Why not start him.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why they didn’t ask about the rotation on the coaches’ show. They were talking about Sergeev but they never asked about the rotation. Even if Cav gives a non-answer, you have to ask.

Haider’s goals against is 8th in the country and his save percentage is 11th in the country.

Sergeev’s goals against has fallen to 54th in the country and his save percentage is 68th in the country.

I do not know how Cav can justify playing Sergeev against one of the most offensively talented teams in the country after seeing what Sergeev has done the last two weeks.

At some point Cav owes it to the rest of the roster to put a top ten goalie in the country out their on a permanent basis.

Reaction Score

I’m glad you mentioned McDonough here…I couldn’t recall his name the other day while watching Jeffries from Merrimack. Skills reminded me of him.

Reaction Score
Spot on.
Uconn has some talent, but also many role players and their margin for error is small compared to top teams. Any mistake like the one Jake Flynn made that lead to a 2 on none, is more devastating for this team, especially when they fall behind. In part the shifting cut play he tried to make is a result of bad coaching - particularly considering the speed and talent of BC, but may have also been an I’ll conceived move by a player who grew up 30 miles from Boston and even as a grad student wanted to show up them folks from beantown. Flynn has been a decent player for UConn over the years, and has been classy, but is also definitely been turnover prone.

Coach also needs to consider benching Capone - who unfortunately hasn’t gotten any better since his freshmen year - and needs more discipline from his squad overall so they don’t take early and stupid penalties. The second roughing penalty Nick took was about as dumb as they come with the puck nowhere around and the head of a BC player slammed into the goalpost.

Reaction Score
Uconn has some talent, but also many role players and their margin for error is small compared to top teams. Any mistake like the one Jake Flynn made that lead to a 2 on none, is more devastating for this team, especially when they fall behind. In part the shifting cut play he tried to make is a result of bad coaching - particularly considering the speed and talent of BC, but may have also been an I’ll conceived move by a player who grew up 30 miles from Boston and even as a grad student wanted to show up them folks from beantown. Flynn has been a decent player for UConn over the years, and has been classy, but is also definitely been turnover prone.

Coach also needs to consider benching Capone - who unfortunately hasn’t gotten any better since his freshmen year - and needs more discipline from his squad overall so they don’t take early and stupid penalties. The second roughing penalty Nick took was about as dumb as they come with the puck nowhere around and the head of a BC player slammed into the goalpost.
I agree. The forward group is bloated with grinders. There is a desperate need on this team for scorers and playmakers. Speed and quickness are two other glaring weaknesses.

It falls back on to the coaching staff and their recruiting. This summer anyone could see that the roster was definitely not talented enough to score goals and they didn’t address it.

The third line is just not close to being a third line of a team that wants to contend nationally. Heaslip should not be centering a third line, Capone should not be on a 3rd line, and Mahshie’s transition from RPI to UConn has been awful.

Capone just needs to go away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I read this board with a combination of feelings. First and foremost, Incredulity.
Attendance, I’ve been to a ton of Wesleyan games. They have never drawn a larger crowd than the crowd at Toscano. Never.

Pep band. Our band plays their hearts out, and from where I sit (drink rail ) they sound great. Being located below the glass has little effect on their noise projection.

Toscano can certainly be improved. Building an arena for 5000 was never a serious option. PC‘s place in Providence is a bit bigger but it’s got problems too. Exit/entrance portals are a nightmare and the queue for food is as bad as at Storrs. You want more seats? Bleacher seats in that student deck is a good idea. Affordable too. The high top tables behind the street side goal can go when demand for seats outstrips availability. For now who does it hurt? It seems as if it pretty well occupied. Better food options and more food stations would be a great way to improve the place.

Looking at XL through rose colored glasses. I like being 25 minutes from the rink vs 1 hour away too. But let’s face it, that place is far from perfect. The entryway and atrium alike a morgue. It needs a facelift for starters. I guess the new gambling wing goes down as an improvement for some. I’d rather have better food. Guess I’ll have to wait until Yard Goat season for that.

Players. Grown men should not be telling 21 year old amateurs that they should just go away. Even if they take too many stupid penalties. They are D1 athletes but they are students and they are just kids. How perfect were we at that age? Show some class.
Can’t wait to see you all in Hartford on Saturday. Beat Dartmouth.

Reaction Score
I read this board with a combination of feelings. First and foremost, Incredulity.
Attendance, I’ve been to a ton of Wesleyan games. They have never drawn a larger crowd than the crowd at Toscano. Never.

Pep band. Our band plays their hearts out, and from where I sit (drink rail ) they sound great. Being located below the glass has little effect on their noise projection.

Toscano can certainly be improved. Building an arena for 5000 was never a serious option. PC‘s place in Providence is a bit bigger but it’s got problems too. Exit/entrance portals are a nightmare and the queue for food is as bad as at Storrs. You want more seats? Bleacher seats in that student deck is a good idea. Affordable too. The high top tables behind the street side goal can go when demand for seats outstrips availability. For now who does it hurt? It seems as if it pretty well occupied. Better food options and more food stations would be a great way to improve the place.

Looking at XL through rose colored glasses. I like being 25 minutes from the rink vs 1 hour away too. But let’s face it, that place is far from perfect. The entryway and atrium alike a morgue. It needs a facelift for starters. I guess the new gambling wing goes down as an improvement for some. I’d rather have better food. Guess I’ll have to wait until Yard Goat season for that.

Players. Grown men should not be telling 21 year old amateurs that they should just go away. Even if they take too many stupid penalties. They are D1 athletes but they are students and they are just kids. How perfect were we at that age? Show some class.
Can’t wait to see you all in Hartford on Saturday. Beat Dartmouth.
Thank you. You are right on on all points esp picking on student athletes. Huge pet peeve of mine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom