UConn men's basketball tickets are in high demand and prices have grown expensive | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball tickets are in high demand and prices have grown expensive

Reaction Score
No complaints here. Would you rather have a really crappy program and low ticket prices? It wasn't that long ago where we had 2 bad seasons in a row and tickets were cheap. That sucked.

“For a lot of reasons,” athletic director David Benedict said. “It’s obviously helpful because we’re in a position to offset more of the subsidy that the university is making as an investment in athletics, so it’s great to have that return. But it’s just great to have the state and the city captivated again. It’s great to see all the sellouts we’re having and the tickets in demand. People are asking for tickets again. That wasn’t happening four or five years ago.”

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball tickets are in high demand and prices have grown expensive

Reaction Score
Is there a tie in with football tickets? Where if you buy football seats or season tickets you obtain either discounted basketball tickets or an opportunity to have upgraded basketball seats? I’m genuinely curious to know.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Is there a tie in with football tickets? Where if you buy football seats or season tickets you obtain either discounted basketball tickets or an opportunity to have upgraded basketball seats? I’m genuinely curious to know.
Lol, lucky UConn doesn't force fans to buy football tickets for the right to purchase basketball tickets, hope this doesn't give the AD any ideas...

Reaction Score
Football season ticket holders usually end up getting a pair of free tickets to a low-level MBB game, mid-level WBB game, or a mid-level Men's Hockey game. At least the last couple years.

Reaction Score
You should read this article. It's about way more than just the tickets being expensive now.

“You remember those days, Tulane at Gampel and Tulsa at the XL,” Hurley said. “Even playing great teams and getting 8,000 at the XL Center for a top-10 Houston. The climb back up the mountain is a lot of fun. You do have an appreciation for things like that. I think every game is sold out, potentially, already. Just having the interest in our program that we have both in the State of Connecticut, our fan base, nationally, we've had to earn it by winning, winning a national championship, winning our people back over, winning our fans back over. You don't just get some status because of our history. Our fans — I think it's a Northeastern thing, too, man — people make you earn it from them or else they'll just focus on something else.”

Win and they will come. It's always been that way.

Reaction Score
This will make the season ticket holders happy. Hurley said similar things the other day. Let's see what happens with the home OOC schedule the next couple years.

“You have schools starting to look at, do we really want to play as many games as we do off campus and these neutral site games?” Benedict said. “The value of the MTE’s [multiple-team events] and neutral site games is it’s just been easier to negotiate or find really good games. But we’ve got to find a way in college basketball to bring more of these games back to campus and do home-and-homes. It’s good for the game. It’s good for fan bases. You want to do it with the right teams, as well, based on whatever your scheduling philosophy is and where you are as an opponent. It’s a lot easier to get those high-profile games now, based on what happened last season and where the program has been elevated to than it was three or four years ago. Why was North Carolina to come play us at home? Or Duke or Purdue or whoever it might be.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Football season ticket holders usually end up getting a pair of free tickets to a low-level MBB game, mid-level WBB game, or a mid-level Men's Hockey game. At least the last couple years.
Yup, I'm going to the New Year's Eve women's game. I forget what the MBB choice was.

Reaction Score
No complaints here. Would you rather have a really crappy program and low ticket prices? It wasn't that long ago where we had 2 bad seasons in a row and tickets were cheap. That sucked.

“For a lot of reasons,” athletic director David Benedict said. “It’s obviously helpful because we’re in a position to offset more of the subsidy that the university is making as an investment in athletics, so it’s great to have that return. But it’s just great to have the state and the city captivated again. It’s great to see all the sellouts we’re having and the tickets in demand. People are asking for tickets again. That wasn’t happening four or five years ago.”

Alternate access:

yeah its great unless youre in a wheelchair and need tickets. Checked for tickets a while back accessible seating was no longer even an option. Well done greed.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
yeah its great unless youre in a wheelchair and need tickets. Checked for tickets a while back accessible seating was no longer even an option. Well done greed.
Because they were sold out?

Reaction Score
It's not greed it is supply and demand.

Reaction Score
I’ve been wanting these official numbers so happy to see this:

”The public-sale portion of season ticket holders this season is 5,091 at Gampel and 9,083 at the XL. The total numbers categorized as season tickets, boosted by a student and band allotment and visiting-team seating areas, is 8,174 at Gampel and 10,812 at the XL. Gampel season tickets are up 16.7 percent over last year, and XL season tickets are up 26.6 percent.“

Reaction Score
Yeah. Forget the disabled. Lets sell those seats.

The idea that the university is forgetting the disabled, or using their seats for non-disabled folks is not really supportable. If you have proof of such a practice, I'm sure you would win in court. And it would be vile in the extreme.

There have always been a limited number of handicap accessible seats just as there are a limited number of seats in the arena. When the demand for tickets went up, the demand for the demand for those seats also went up. They didn't suddenly start selling them to the physically able. It's not some evil capitalist plot.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I’ve been wanting these official numbers so happy to see this:

”The public-sale portion of season ticket holders this season is 5,091 at Gampel and 9,083 at the XL. The total numbers categorized as season tickets, boosted by a student and band allotment and visiting-team seating areas, is 8,174 at Gampel and 10,812 at the XL. Gampel season tickets are up 16.7 percent over last year, and XL season tickets are up 26.6 percent.“
Let's stop playing games at XL crowd needs to pipe down. We have more season tickets at XL than capacity at Gampel.

Reaction Score
I’ve had football season tix for many years and don’t recall getting any upgrades.

Reaction Score
Lol, lucky UConn doesn't force fans to buy football tickets for the right to purchase basketball tickets, hope this doesn't give the AD any ideas...
Yeah delete that post about football tickets!

Reaction Score
Yup, I'm going to the New Year's Eve women's game. I forget what the MBB choice was.

Last couple years the men’s option was butler this year it was one of the early season Hartford games that you could find on stubhub for $4 after fees. Another sign of the increased demand

Reaction Score
Yeah God forbid a UConn fan is forced to support UConn.

Reaction Score
Same, just the occasional freebee.
Usually it's the other way around. I've probably gotten free or reduced price FB tickets to half the games over the past few years by being a MBB Season ticket holders

Reaction Score
I would reach out to UConn athletics. I’m willing to bet they will help you out.
Unless, could it be, the demand for accessible seats followed the overall demand for the team and they sold out too...
Its possible but again the sight usually tells you if accessible seating is sold out but now it doesnt even give the option for accessible seating. I gave a call to find out what was going on and i got the run around. Ill try again next week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom