UCONN-Maryland post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Maryland post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN's freshman will have games where they struggle, but they will not be intimidated. Their confidence is very impressive!
This also feels like the first recruiting class since Nika, Paige and Aaliyah where we have multiple freshman who are confident and can make plays. The good news for us is that we just need one or two of them to step up on any given night.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
CD post game (rough!)
We got smacked pretty good and there are many ways we can respond. And we responded well.

2nd quarter – took advantage of turnovers.

Bob: Paige took over the game post – foul.

CD: First half, ran better offense. Second half Paige made incredible plays, individually (defender had fouls)

We owed them one (last year). A great win. Fans were terrific. You have to play who you play… but let's not mistake who we were missing. Credit to them (last year).

Ashlyn – you’re going to see that with our young guys. Ashlyn gave us a spark. (Q last game). KK did better. Lot of young players and new pieces.

Suprts we played well together, spurts where we played a little fragmented. Need to have less of that as the season moves on.Step in the right direction.

Bob: Physical game? CD: Whoever said bball a non contact sport never played. People tried to impose their will on it and we have to handle it. Folks are scouting that. Trying to separate us, we have to play together

Bob: Azzi – in an ok place? CD We’re waiting for her to get evaluated. Leave it up to medical staff. Hear news. Few days off.

Jamelle has scout for Minnesota.

Lovely weather: Paige thinks she goes to school in florida compared to Minnesota.

Paige played in Barn in state tournament. Lost a couple state finals before she won

Reaction Score
I loved this game... it was a must show up, and most of them did. Paige is awesome, of course.. 2 of our 3 freshman were great...that's to be expected... Q was great last game, not this game... but Shade was good. Sucks that Azzi is hurt... I hope it's not serious. The big downside is Caroline... she was useless. Missing layups, missing 3's. I loved her as a freshman, but she seems to have lost it. I hope she finds it! Ice hitting a 3 might give her some confidence....

Reaction Score
1000006564.jpg

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade was +27 in 16 minutes.

One can only wonder if the result would've been different if she got off the bench on Sunday.

Exactly. I couldn't belive Geno didn't give her any minutes against NC state.

Not saying we would have won since the majority of the team was out of sorts, but she should not have been sitting on the bench the entire game.

Reaction Score
Geno says that Azzi’s knee was non contact. “She went up for a shot and came down and Azzi said something felt weird” then walked back to the trainer. That occured Tuesday towards the end of practice. MRI hasn’t happened yet, as they need to wait until the swelling goes down. Hopefully it’s just a weird tweak

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Defense, Defense, Defense...All the players played like Hungry Huskies! great job!
*Was not impressed with Maryland. Very physical but a short team and not too fast.
*Paige is all world! what a pleasure watching her play!
*Aubrey: a good game especially on defense. 13 rebounds...just what we needed.
*AE: way too many turnovers. needs to get more focused. Trying to dribble when she gets the ball under the basket just does not work.
*KK: real good game. Looked comfortable out there (not so in the NC St. game)..12 points, 5 assists and 5 steals. Nice!
*Shade: last game she is DNP and in this game brought a jolt of energy and fight. 10 points in 16 min. Nice!
*Ice: showed some good potential. Much better in this game then last and while we know that it takes longer for bigs to adjust to the college game i think we'll see continuous improvement from her as the season progresses. Loved seeing her together with AE at the same time as this is a line-up UConn will need against the bigger teams.
*Nika: fight, fight. fight. not one of her best games but for sure contributed.
*Samuels: not a good game especially considering the amazing last game. But that is what happens with Freshmen. Hopefully next game she'll do better. She's got immense potential.
*CD: don't know what up with her...the head injuries? seems somewhat confused and her shooting accuracy is just not there.
*Azzi: hopefully her knee injury will not keep her out for long.
All in all a very satisfying win!

Reaction Score
well, I think that's what the great ones do; recognize the moment and take over.
And Maryland has had a rep for a while now as the NCAAW version of the Detroit Pistons from the bad boys era.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This game got off to a rough start--Azzi was a last-minute scratch, and Paige was on the bench after getting hit in the eye. The mood was concerned and glum for a while, but Ash made a nice contribution and Paige took over.

The energy and defense were sooooo much better than on Sunday. A complete reversal. Terps shot 26% and didn't score 50. How good are they? They look like a #30-40 team right now.

This was an extremely physical game. Lots of bodies on the floor and lots of held balls. I thought that 3 fouls on Paige were bogus and there were several non-calls in Maryland's favor. Paige is much stronger than 3 years ago. She is also a complete player--blocking shots and getting in the passing lanes.

Ashlyn and KK played to their strengths, and both finished in double-figures. Kudos to them.

Aubrey dominated on the boards and defense. She's underrated and very valuable.

Q was off tonight and got limited minutes. Sadly, Carol was ineffective again. I though Liya was mediocre and made several mistakes. She'll play better soon.

After Utah lost, we may move up 1 spot in Monday's poll. More importantly, the players are transferring lessons from practice into games. Go Huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom