UConn kind of needed to play Purdue | The Boneyard

UConn kind of needed to play Purdue

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is good for basketball to have two powerhouses in the Finals, and so it is good for UConn this year that it is one of those powerhouse teams, and that it is playing another in Purdue. It also wouldn't hurt UConn's perception as a future conference partner to put up a big ratings number on the heels of the insanely good 14.2 million viewers for the UConn/Iowa women's Final Four game. UConn needs a game that the whole country cares about.

Two of UConn's championships have been over scrappy mid-majors (SDSU in 2023, and Butler in 2011), and Butler didn't even have Haywood anymore when UConn beat them. UConn beat some very good teams along the way in both tournaments, but the Finals opponents were not marquee names and it hurt us with national interest in those games. In 2004, UConn's championship game was effectively in the national semifinals when it beat Duke. The easy win over Georgia Tech in the Finals, where UConn had a 20+ point lead for much of the game, was anticlimactic. In 2014, UConn had a great run over some good opponents (Villanova, Michigan State, Florida), and its Finals opponent was Kentucky, but Kentucky was an 8 seed that season, and was chasing the same historical upset championship that UConn was chasing. Like UConn, Kentucky had not even made the tournament the previous season. The only other Championship game between top teams involving UConn was in 1999, and UConn was not quite UConn yet to the rest of the country, like it is now. We were not yet a blue blood.

On Monday, the top two teams meet for the National Championship. Purdue has been one of the top teams in the Big 10 for decades despite their less than impressive tournament showings over the years, and there will be a lot of interest to see if a program this successful can win its first National Championship. UConn is definitely the villain on Monday, which I am fine with, as long as people tune in, and UConn wins.

Reaction Score
Purdue has been the big bad of this 18-month duology all along and we have to go through them to earn it.

Like any multi-part series, we have returning heroes (Hurley, Newton, Karaban, Clingan), departing heroes (Hawkins, Sanogo, Jackson, etc.), new heroes (Spencer, Castle), heroes who took on a more prominent role (Diarra, Johnson).

We have a common slate of villains (Creighton, Marquette), some unexpected ones making multiple appearances (SDSU), but in Purdue and Edey we have an overarching villain who loomed in the background despite avoiding a direct confrontation in Part I, and who we must now face to prove our worthiness in Part II.

Reaction Score
Purdue is easily the second best team we’ve faced in the finals after ‘99 Duke
And probably the second best team we've faced on the 3rd weekend.

1999 Duke
2024 Purdue
2004 Duke
2014 Florida
2009 MSU
2011 Kentucky
2024 Alabama
2014 Kentucky
2023 SDSU
1999 OSU
2023 Miami
2004 GT
2011 Butler

Kind of wild that this will be only our 5th time facing a 1 or 2 seed in 13 games.

Reaction Score

1999 Duke
2024 Purdue
2004 Duke
2014 Florida
2009 MSU
2011 Kentucky
2024 Alabama
2014 Kentucky
2023 SDSU
1999 OSU
2023 Miami
2004 GT
2011 Butler

Kind of wild that this will be only our 5th time facing a 1 or 2 seed in 13 games.
That 2014 Florida team was also crazy good...only ever undefeated sec season number 1 overall seed, only 1 loss that season that wasn't to the good guys.

Reaction Score
It is good for basketball to have two powerhouses in the Finals, and so it is good for UConn this year that it is one of those powerhouse teams, and that it is playing another in Purdue. It also wouldn't hurt UConn's perception as a future conference partner to put up a big ratings number on the heels of the insanely good 14.2 million viewers for the UConn/Iowa women's Final Four game. UConn needs a game that the whole country cares about.

Two of UConn's championships have been over scrappy mid-majors (SDSU in 2023, and Butler in 2011), and Butler didn't even have Haywood anymore when UConn beat them. UConn beat some very good teams along the way in both tournaments, but the Finals opponents were not marquee names and it hurt us with national interest in those games. In 2004, UConn's championship game was effectively in the national semifinals when it beat Duke. The easy win over Georgia Tech in the Finals, where UConn had a 20+ point lead for much of the game, was anticlimactic. In 2014, UConn had a great run over some good opponents (Villanova, Michigan State, Florida), and its Finals opponent was Kentucky, but Kentucky was an 8 seed that season, and was chasing the same historical upset championship that UConn was chasing. Like UConn, Kentucky had not even made the tournament the previous season. The only other Championship game between top teams involving UConn was in 1999, and UConn was not quite UConn yet to the rest of the country, like it is now. We were not yet a blue blood.

On Monday, the top two teams meet for the National Championship. Purdue has been one of the top teams in the Big 10 for decades despite their less than impressive tournament showings over the years, and there will be a lot of interest to see if a program this successful can win its first National Championship. UConn is definitely the villain on Monday, which I am fine with, as long as people tune in, and UConn wins.
Why are we the villain? Most of the Big10 was not pleased with certain aspects of their games against Purdue. And I honestly don't think most fans hate Hurley either. He's emotional, entertaining and annoying at times. But he truly loves the competition, he's not a phony sleazebag, and in recent interviews he's opened up in a very relatable way about what drives him. Despite our level of play we still retain a lot of that scrappy underdog status especially as the Cartel landscape keeps shifting.

Poe

Reaction Score
Completely agree. It’s the difference between being one of the best teams of all time vs. just beat mediocre opponents including an 11 seed in the finals

Reaction Score
Best Final matchup possible and deserves to get the highest rating in NCAA Tournament history

Reaction Score
Why are we the villain? Most of the Big10 was not pleased with certain aspects of their games against Purdue. And I honestly don't think most fans hate Hurley either. He's emotional, entertaining and annoying at times. But he truly loves the competition, he's not a phony sleazebag, and in recent interviews he's opened up in a very relatable way about what drives him. Despite our level of play we still retain a lot of that scrappy underdog status especially as the Cartel landscape keeps shifting.
Hurleys toned it down quite a bit over the last 2 seasons. Prior to that he absolutely was seen as the "raving lunatic" on the sidelines...still is by a lot of folks

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Best Final matchup possible and deserves to get the highest rating in NCAA Tournament history
This game is not going to get 35 million viewers. Even if it were on CBS it would not get that many. I think we could see about 25 million though.

Reaction Score
That 2014 Florida team was also crazy good...only ever undefeated sec season number 1 overall seed, only 1 loss that season that wasn't to the good guys.
Yeah, I put this Purdue team as #4 in terms of teams we've played in the Final Four weekend.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I Liked this post. I like that others Liked it. I've Liked follow-up posts by others, even where people express shades of agreement with you.

I can't possibly read everything that's been posted since last night. There's just too much wonderful here.

In that sense, I just kind of like everybody here today. I'm in the Okwandu Zone ™

I want to add to this strong paragraph of yours, because I didn't see anyone else mention it.

It also wouldn't hurt UConn's perception as a future conference partner to put up a big ratings number on the heels of the insanely good 14.2 million viewers for the UConn/Iowa women's Final Four game. UConn needs a game that the whole country cares about.

UConn has already played and defeated the B1G teams with the 2nd, 4th, and 6th place (3-way tied) conference records, a including two of 6 teams in the Tournament.

It would be nice beat the conferences top-seeded & top-ranked team to finish the season with a 4-0 record against B1G foes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

“I think it's just what college basketball needs on the men's side," Hurley said of the showdown. "It will be must-see TV, and we should blow the roof off the ratings for a national championship game. It's the clash of the titans, the two best teams in the sport get together, and the winner of it will be a worthy champion."

Reaction Score

1999 Duke
2024 Purdue
2004 Duke
2014 Florida
2009 MSU
2011 Kentucky
2024 Alabama
2014 Kentucky
2023 SDSU
1999 OSU
2023 Miami
2004 GT
2011 Butler

It is, but to be fair that GT team was a lot like our team last year, where they lost a bunch of ACC games, but everyone knew they were the 2nd best Team behind Us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom