UConn-Kentucky Pregame Analysis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Kentucky Pregame Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Visual Impressions of Kentucky After Watching the Ky-Del Game Live:

Maybe it would be useful to complement the primarily stat-based analysis in this thread with impressions from watching Kentucky play live against Delaware. Here are my main observations:

1. To my great surprise, Kentucky relied almost entirely on jump shots in its half-court offense. Given their well-deserved reputation as a small/fast team, I expected to see much more driving and penetration in the style of Tiffany Hayes and (lately) Moriah Jefferson. But I don't recall any occasions on Saturday where they drove for a layup in their half-court offense. That may possibly be because they were avoiding EDD, viewing her as an obstacle similar to Brittney Griner for offensive strategies which rely on driving layups. If that is the case, then Breanna should give them similar nightmares. But I suspect that is just their style, and if so, that certainly makes it easier to defend them.

2. Given their reliance in jump shots, I didn't think they were overly accurate, although Jennifer O'Neill certainly needs to be guarded at the 3-point line. The implication is that if turnovers can be kept at a normal level, UConn should certainly prevail in any battle of half-court offenses.

3. I didn't see any designed offense in the paint -- that was possibly because Stallworth was limited by foul trouble. Their half-court offense really did look one-dimensional (repeating myself, I realize).

4. Because of their constant overplaying in half-court defense, there should be many backdoors left wide open, as well as penetration opportunities. If Bria / Kelly / Moriah can beat their guard and head for the basket, UConn's bigs should be wide open for passses after the defense gets distorted by that.

4. Really, the only way UConn can lose the game (and the only way Kentucky can even stay in the game, as far as I can see) is if the guards lose their minds and start turning it over time after time. That has happened before (see past years' games against Georgetown, including the Sweet 16 game in Philadelphia which UConn almost lost). However, the freshmen weren't rattled today by Maryland's physicality, so hopefully they (not to mention Bria / Caroline / Kelly / KML) won't be rattled by Kentucky's ballhawking.

5. This probably implies the following theorem: the more minutes Caroline logs, the more trouble UConn is in. If a turnover streak begins and panic is setting in, I would expect Geno to call on Caroline and Kelly to put an end to it. They should be able to do that, but hopefully it won't be necessary.

Reaction Score
Even in her hobbled state, to me, Stef was quite effective in the Maryland game. It seemed she slowed the game down just a bit, to the benefit of the team's penchant for turnovers. Less of a hebephrenic atmosphere, more solid efficiency.

i wonder how long stef has had these problems they don't happen over night.i think she will go in and out a lot early and then leave her in at the end

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Upping the literariness of the Boneyard, one word at a time.;)

Cut it out. I stopped visiting the MENSA etymology chat group just so I could dumb myself down on the BY and you just had to kuelimisha us. (I cheated)

Reaction Score
Cut it out. I stopped visiting the MENSA etymology chat group just so I could dumb myself down on the BY and you just had to kuelimisha us. (I cheated)

I was wondering about your education...this explains a lot... ;)

Reaction Score
Hori kuiteka nyara bodi ya mtandao, or something like that. I have total faith in Google translator.

Sorry, Google seems to think you've switched from Swahili to Japanese...I'm still beating around in the bush...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You've always been my favorite hebephrenic, actually... ;)

As leader of the world hebephrenics, I plan on kissing your feet next time I see you. Please wash. We hebephrenics are also hygienics, especially during the holidays.

Reaction Score
As leader of the world hebephrenics, I plan on kissing your feet next time I see you. Please wash. We hebephrenics are also hygienics, especially during the holidays.

My dogs usually handle that, so they should be spotless... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom