UConn is accepting applications and nominations for a FT Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Line) | The Boneyard

UConn is accepting applications and nominations for a FT Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Line)

Reaction Score
Freshen up the resumes ;)

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist the Head Football Coach in the organization and administration of all phases of a Division I FBS program including game preparation and the recruitment and evaluation of prospective student-athletes; assist in monitoring academic progress and development of student-athletes; community involvement; and other program duties as assigned by the Head Football Coach.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s degree; three years’ experience as a football coach at the collegiate FBS, FCS or NFL within the past 10 years; working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations; strong commitment to the academic goals of the University; and excellent organizational, teaching, communication and public relations skills.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Five years of collegiate coaching experience at the Division 1 level.

APPOINTMENT TERMS
Commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY
Candidates must submit letter of application, resume, and the names of three references to: UConn Jobs, http://www.jobs.uconn.edu. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018357)

This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 PM eastern on January 24, 2018.

All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at Office of State Ethics.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I enjoy these threads because we all know the choice had been made, and now we try to figure out who it is based on the requirements. It's a little tougher to get the answer for OL, though.

The one negative thing for me is that the experience listing is very low, which would imply that my boy Foley isn't the choice... :(

(Hope I'm wrong)

Reaction Score
I believe RE2 wants young guns who can coach, relate to players and recruit. If I had time I’d look at Dunn’s past as he should want serious input on who’s implementing his schemes.

Reaction Score
I enjoy these threads because we all know the choice had been made, and now we try to figure out who it is based on the requirements. It's a little tougher to get the answer for OL, though.

The one negative thing for me is that the experience listing is very low, which would imply that my boy Foley isn't the choice... :(

(Hope I'm wrong)

There is no way Foley is leaving UMASS

Reaction Score
I believe RE2 wants young guns who can coach, relate to players and recruit. If I had time I’d look at Dunn’s past as he should want serious input on who’s implementing his schemes.
Was 110% behind RE 2.0 until they let the 2 best coaches making an impact get away while keeping the single worst DC in CFB by miles. Makes you wonder if goal 1 is winning or RE consolidating control with yes men. Very soured over this and the ongoing KO debacle. I trust none of these clowns to do the right thing anymore.

Reaction Score
Nominations...?

I posted this in the Grimes thread. Hoping Rich Rod made a phone call to Randy! He meets and exceeds all of the criteria. He's earned a Masters in Sports administration.

Garin Justice
Rich Rod recently hired him from Florida Atlantic but Kevin Sumlin had someone else in mind so he was just let go . He's conditioned lineman for uptempo, helped turn around a really bad losing program at Concord. Coached at WVA and FSU. He played O line at WVA. Second link below says Lane Kiffin hasn't hired a replacement yet and may want him back. Hope he interviews here.

Garin was only making 100K per year at FAU
The Coach he replaced at Arizona was making 300K
UCONN was paying Grimes 250K
Financial this may be a fit.

Watch the video, seems like he would be perfect for UCONN!

FAUSPORTS.COM Garin Justice Bio :: Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site - Football

Report: Garin Justice not expected to be retained by Arizona, Kevin Sumlin

Arizona hires FAU’s Garin Justice as new o-line coach

What impressed me about this is FAU didn't have great talent and also had some injuries.

SportSourceAnalytics

@SportSourceA

In 2017, @FAU_Football was rated the 7th most efficient offensive line by our CBTN Offensive Line Efficiency Ranking. @GarinJustice did a heck of a job with that offensive line in 2017. Whoever lands him is going to be getting a good coach.
7:13 PM · Jan 17, 2018

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I like Garin's statement, "If you have a good back you can make a good offensive line. If you have a good offensive line you can't necessarily make a good back."
You can't make a good offensive line without good backs? I always thought you needed a good offensive line so that backs could be good. You can't tell me Arkeel Newsome wouldn't have been a much better back if he had a good offensive line in front of him. One thing I like is that he was an offensive lineman for West Virginia. Can he recruit O-lineman in the North to come to UConn? Can he talk kids in the South to go North?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was 110% behind RE 2.0 until they let the 2 best coaches making an impact get away while keeping the single worst DC in CFB by miles. Makes you wonder if goal 1 is winning or RE consolidating control with yes men. Very soured over this and the ongoing KO debacle. I trust none of these clowns to do the right thing anymore.
RE didn’t run anyone off.

Reaction Score
I posted this in the Grimes thread. Hoping Rich Rod made a phone call to Randy! He meets and exceeds all of the criteria. He's earned a Masters in Sports administration.

Garin Justice
Rich Rod recently hired him from Florida Atlantic but Kevin Sumlin had someone else in mind so he was just let go . He's conditioned lineman for uptempo, helped turn around a really bad losing program at Concord. Coached at WVA and FSU. He played O line at WVA. Second link below says Lane Kiffin hasn't hired a replacement yet and may want him back. Hope he interviews here.

Garin was only making 100K per year at FAU
The Coach he replaced at Arizona was making 300K
UCONN was paying Grimes 250K
Financial this may be a fit.

Watch the video, seems like he would be perfect for UCONN!

FAUSPORTS.COM Garin Justice Bio :: Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site - Football

Report: Garin Justice not expected to be retained by Arizona, Kevin Sumlin

Arizona hires FAU’s Garin Justice as new o-line coach

What impressed me about this is FAU didn't have great talent and also had some injuries.

SportSourceAnalytics

@SportSourceA

In 2017, @FAU_Football was rated the 7th most efficient offensive line by our CBTN Offensive Line Efficiency Ranking. @GarinJustice did a heck of a job with that offensive line in 2017. Whoever lands him is going to be getting a good coach.
7:13 PM · Jan 17, 2018

Why don't you forward it to Edsall?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That may be the lowest bar I've seen for a position coach at UConn.

Three years employment in college or pro football in the past ten years.

Reaction Score
RE didn’t run anyone off.
If there was really way to prove either way, I'd surely take the wager that Randy made things less than comfortable for Lashlee and frustrated him. All you need to do is look at the change in offensive production over the year and also the general disruption resulting and you have to ask why. I understand the desire to want/need RE to restore the program. I'm only saying I'm not interested in giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. Too many years. Too many screw ups, bad decisions, and grievous mismanagement by Uconn. Lashlee and Grimes did something no one else could accomplish in 7 years. They had a washed up QB in the top of the NCAA. They took a completely broken offensive at the bottom of the NCAA and turned them into mid-level offensive production. So, let's loose those guys and keep the worst D.C. In the country by any statistical measure you could imagine. No. We managed to again do the opposite of what common sense dictates and don't think for a second money doesn't solve the departure problem. Instead, we get a Randy flunky with no OC experience, lose an effective OL coach. No. None of it makes good, objective sense. Sorry, but after the last 7 years we have the right to question everything.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whether Lashlee stuck around or not, I don't see any way that Grimes would have said no to Auburn. The most uncomfortable thing about working for RE (in Lashlee's eyes) was that the school wasn't located in the south.

Reaction Score
If there was really way to prove either way, I'd surely take the wager that Randy made things less than comfortable for Lashlee and frustrated him. All you need to do is look at the change in offensive production over the year and also the general disruption resulting and you have to ask why. I understand the desire to want/need RE to restore the program. I'm only saying I'm not interested in giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. Too many years. Too many screw ups, bad decisions, and grievous mismanagement by Uconn. Lashlee and Grimes did something no one else could accomplish in 7 years. They had a washed up QB in the top of the NCAA. They took a completely broken offensive at the bottom of the NCAA and turned them into mid-level offensive production. So, let's loose those guys and keep the worst D.C. In the country by any statistical measure you could imagine. No. We managed to again do the opposite of what common sense dictates and don't think for a second money doesn't solve the departure problem. Instead, we get a Randy flunky with no OC experience, lose an effective OL coach. No. None of it makes good, objective sense. Sorry, but after the last 7 years we have the right to question everything.

Whether you are right or not (you're not) it is stupid to be posting this garbage in Jan 2018. What do you want to do, fire the coach? are you nuts? Cool your jets and hope for the best, its all any of us can do. RE has a history of success here and he deserves more time to turn this around. Go outside and get some sun.

C

Chief00

Rings true. Randy has pluses and minuses but like most football coaches he’s a control freak and Lashlee and Grimes were not his guys.
By any measure, we lost our top two assistant coaches - quite a feat coming off such a losing season. Yet, they were hired with probable pay increases by Auburn and wealthy SMU.

Reaction Score
Rings true. Randy has pluses and minuses but like most football coaches he’s a control freak and Lashlee and Grimes were not his guys.
By any measure, we lost our top two assistant coaches - quite a feat coming off such a losing season. Yet, they were hired with probable pay increases by Auburn and wealthy SMU.

Since after 7 years we are questioning everything ....

Why did Lashlee never get a big gig while at Auburn;
Why did he come here;
Why is the best gig he could get the SMU gig?

I hated to see him go, but if we are questioning everything, why is this guys career going the wrong trajectory?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Whether you are right or not (you're not) it is stupid to be posting this garbage in Jan 2018. What do you want to do, fire the coach? are you nuts? Cool your jets and hope for the best, its all any of us can do. RE has a history of success here and he deserves more time to turn this around. Go outside and get some sun.

BlueDogs’ plan = re-evaluate whether each member of the staff deserves to stay on a game-by-game basis.

Reaction Score
Foley did a good job, but he and Randy weren't exactly buddies..
... nor has Foley's coaching and recruiting been viewed as too successful by umess' few fans. Based on the job req, it sure appears unlikely Foley will coach for UConn any time soon.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Since after 7 years we are questioning everything ....

Why did Lashlee never get a big gig while at Auburn;
Why did he come here;
Why is the best gig he could get the SMU gig?

I hated to see him go, but if we are questioning everything, why is this guys career going the wrong trajectory?
Because, and I'm speaking from personal experience here, sometimes career aspirations, in a moment of almost painful clarity, take on a completely new meaning when you realize just how much your spouse and family mean to you compared with fame or money.

Reaction Score
Not sure I like Garin's statement, "If you have a good back you can make a good offensive line. If you have a good offensive line you can't necessarily make a good back."
You can't make a good offensive line without good backs? I always thought you needed a good offensive line so that backs could be good. You can't tell me Arkeel Newsome wouldn't have been a much better back if he had a good offensive line in front of him. One thing I like is that he was an offensive lineman for West Virginia. Can he recruit O-lineman in the North to come to UConn? Can he talk kids in the South to go North?

He was trying to be humble. They had a great year with the O line but he was giving credit to the running backs. It's possible to have a good line that doesn't produce because of a mediocre running back. I agree Arleel would have done better but it's pretty obvious that he was over used and is more of a situational back at the FBS level.

Garin doesn't think there are that many athletic big guys out their. He believes they can be coached up if they are smart and develop strength and learn good technique. Seems like a good teacher.

Reaction Score
Why don't you forward it to Edsall?

They probably know he's available because the Rich Rod firing and hiring of Kevin Sumlin was a big deal. It's a relatively small world in coaching circles. I took your lead and sent it to several coaches just to get Garin Justices name in front of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom