UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree with most of your comments and I agree the play was too convuluted. But Clark is more of a one-on-one player. Paige does need picks more. How often is Paige ispalted in the manner Clark is? SO, why not just give Paige the ball after one pass in which she would be coming "downhill" at a defender with the option to pick and roll or take a pull-up?

But I agree - not a good call - I jus thinktoo much dribbling wiht Nika toward the corner.

There are a million moving parts to that double-screen. So many things can go wrong and did. If they wanted to run a screen they could've done so off her dribble. Let her try to find the midrange. Just made no sense and is a lack of trust in Paige's ability to make a winning play, imo.

Reaction Score
There are a million moving parts to that double-screen. So many things can go wrong and did. If they wanted to run a screen they could've done so off her dribble. Let her try to find the midrange. Just made no sense and is a lack of trust in Paige's ability to make a winning play, imo.
I'm with you. I dislked the play.

Reaction Score
We'll probably never know 100%, because the whistle was blown before she could get a good head of steam. But...maybe? A side view:

You know what- she was moving toward the basket.

Reaction Score
"We shot four free throws tonight, in a game that was played like that. So either Iowa plays absolutely zero defense, which isn't true, or we shot four free throws. We're not aggressive enough, I guess, getting to the rim." - Geno Auriemma

Reaction Score
All of the FF losses have always hurt, but at least if you’re beat with a last second miracle shot then that’s just the will of the basketball gods. Those kind of losses make me sad. But this kind of loss just makes me angry. It would be one thing if UConn tried for a shot and missed. I can live with that. But to call a foul with seconds left. It just makes me sick.

The sun will rise in the morning no matter what, but mostly I just feel so bad for the players.

Reaction Score
The moving screen call on Edwards was correct. We lost, fair and square.
Connecticut didn't really play well enough to win, but still almost pulled off a miracle finish.

You absolutely cannot call that foul in that situation unless it was utterly blatant. And it wasn't. There are probably five or ten moving screens a game at least as bad as that which are not called.

Reaction Score
Think the end of game foul call on Edwards was BS, and know what I saw, Geno coached a master game. I feel so bad for UConn fans that the ref decided to end the game on that call. Sucked. Geno>>>>>Bluder, it’s over an hour now and I am still upset with that BS call at the end.

Reaction Score
I watched every game, genius. 98% of your posts are on the men's board so please don't pretend like you have a clue about the women's team.

UConn did let Iowa hang in there and Geno himself all but said so when interviewed before the 2nd quarter.
Sure, we were supposed to make a few more midrange j’s, have a few less turnovers and win going away. Stand behind your OP and blame away when what we always HOPED would be a one possession game. And BTW, I’m sure you thought in November we were FF material.

Reaction Score
All of the FF losses have always hurt, but at least if you’re beat with a last second miracle shot then that’s just the will of the basketball gods. Those kind of losses make me sad. But this kind of loss just makes me angry. It would be one thing if UConn tried for a shot and missed. I can live with that. But to call a foul with seconds left. It just makes me sick.

The sun will rise in the morning no matter what, but mostly I just feel so bad for the players.
It was beyond crazy that ref made that call at that moment of the game….still cannot believe it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sure, we were supposed to make a few more midrange j’s, have a few less turnovers and win going away. Stand behind your OP and blame away when what we always HOPED would be a one possession game. And BTW, I’m sure you thought in November we were FF material.

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt that I opined that Geno's call on the last play was crap. That you are so bothered by this and tried to portray it as "blaming" the team is head-scratching, but maybe it makes sense to you.

UConn got a really good draw and took advantage of it. That happens. They also should've won the game tonight and didn't. End of story.

Reaction Score
We will agree to disagree that we “should” have won tonight’s ballgame. No hard feelings, no hurt feelings.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We will agree to disagree that we “should” have won tonight’s ballgame. No hard feelings, no hurt feelings.

They led the majority of the game. They held the biggest lead. They were even or better in most categories. How did they not deserve it?

If the claim is that Iowa was ranked higher, UConn had the better NET ranking and Massey ranking, was barely behind in RPI, and was 61% to win by BPI.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno said Paige wasn't looking like or moving like her usual self, said he thinks it was something physical though she didn't say anything to him about it.

Reaction Score
She was getting the ball in her hands to win it.

True but after two handoffs and an off ball screen. With 9 seconds. Just give her the damn ball and go. Maybe have her use a couple screens with the ball in her hands. As someone said...Jimmy Chitwood style. Ah well....

People keep saying it was a great game. Really? It was a close game. But it was extremely ugly for 75% of it both ways and Paige struggled for most of it. UConn showed toughness and guts, especially Muhl. Ref got them in the end. Too bad.

Reaction Score
Even though I've been just a spectator on the board for the whole season, I just wanted to say that I'm proud of our team for making it back to the final four and having done so with all the circumstances that were dealt.

Also wanted to share that at my part time restaurant job, the game was playing on the big screen at the bar and the bar was packed with patrons fixated on the game and for me firsthand witnessing that was special to see because it shows how much WCBB has progressed and captured the public's attention. And considering that I'm in Hawaii, it was a surprise to me because March Madness or collegiate basketball isn't much of a big deal since football, volleyball, and MMA/UFC are king here. Regardless, it was awesome to see and yes my heart did sink when I saw that we lost. Put me in a sorrowful mood for a good half hour so I had to put on my best poker face for my customers until the feeling dissipated.

I'm not going to partake in the banter concerning the controversial call at the end. It is what it is and I'm just going to move on from it and look forward to next season. For me this was the absolute best season of WCBB ever and to see how much more it has grown is tremendous.

The next 7 months will be a struggle for me because I want next season to start already even if technically it has since we lost tonight. I'm hoping we can finally be free of season ending injuries and have everyone healthy enough to field our full arsenal. The greatest consolation our devoted fan base can have at this moment is that Sarah Strong commits to UCONN and/or the men repeat.

See you all on the board for 2024-2025

Reaction Score
I will keep it short. This was a winnable game!
Anyone know why Qadence didn’t play? I don’t question Geno on his criticisms of the refs in the game, he definitely had a beef, but I do question his not playing Qadence if she was ready to go, she’s automatic from the 3 pt line, and is very quick, maybe even quicker under the basket. I don’t think with her in the game Iowa could have doubled up Paige.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The moving screen call on Edwards was correct. We lost, fair and square.

The entire media, every athlete, every tweet, every post, every story.... mocks the official and the horrible call

And then there's this.... LMFAO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom