UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I would rather we lost to Iowa than to give Dawn the chance to hand Geno his 2nd consecutive NC loss.

It's a shame that a ref decided to make that call on Aaliyah. 99.9% of refs would have swallowed their whistles in that situation.
Centerstream- - Not WBB refs!
99.9% of Division I WBB refs would have made the same lousy call!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Just for the record...it should be stated despite Aaliyah going to the bench in the 3rd quarter. Her stat line was 17 points, 1 block, 5 steals, 3 assists, and 8 rebounds. Three players in double figures, Nika with 9 and Ice with 7. We shot 46 percent from the field, Iowa 45 percent. UConn shot 32 percent from three and Iowa shot 28 percent. UConn shot 75 percent from the foul line and Iowa shot 71 percent. Finally, Bueckers and Muhl equaled Caitlin Clark from downtown. Each player scored three 3-pointers.

Reaction Score
In addition to the obvious game-changing call on Edward’s st the end, the no-touch foul on KK earlier caused her to be benched a bit in the 2nd half. KK on the bunch enabled Iowa to cut their turnovers & cut the lead.

JBK

Reaction Score
That call was ridiculous. You don’t make that call at the end of a game.
Agreed. They do not press. Why not gone the ball to Paige and let her make decisions

Reaction Score
Also, and this is revisionist history, and hind sight, but did we have our two bigs out there on clark's second free throw. ultimately if we get that rebound cleanly we have 3 second with the ball advanced at half court. I really thought we were still ok even after the offensive foul call.
That was a pretty long rebound. Tough to say.

Reaction Score
That was a terrible call and an awful way for Aaliyah to go out like that.

Paige and Aaliyah looked off all game. They both missed shots they normally make. Had those gone in, the game would have never ended that way. It’s a shame Shade went cold the last few games of the season.

But you couldn’t ask more of the freshman tonight. I hope the team uses this as motivation for next year.

Now let’s hope everyone recovers this summer and we come back better than ever next season

Reaction Score
Can someone post the last foul called on UCONN that everyone is commenting about?

Reaction Score
I really thought they'd screen for AE or KKA for a drive. No one stopped KKA when she drove all game. That was the most reliable play all game. Barring that, at least PB needed to attack for the win. That was a very rough call off a timeout, terrible foul call on AE not withstanding.

Reaction Score
I believe we just witnessed the best ending of the season - they made Final Four, they played great game (with the questionable ending) and they do not have to play SC.
Thank you for the amazing season, Go Huskies!

JBK

Reaction Score
And that decision rankles me the more I think about it. Geno has a bad track record of lousy, end-of-game coaching and I think this adds to it. Nobody wants to hear that, but there's no reason to fart around with a screen. Paige should've had a clearout to make a play off the dribble. And if Geno doesn't trust her to do that then he's conceding Clark is the better player.
Especially since Iowa did not press

Reaction Score
If Aaliyah played the entire game like she did the 4th quarter UConn wins by double digits. They were the better team.

And still a winnable game under ten seconds.

Great experience for Shade, KK and Ice.

Outstanding defense by Nika. Two games in a row.
We didn’t have the energy to sustain 40 minutes! Our shot selection was poor, settling. Nika left everything on the floor, she should be on FF all tourney team!

Reaction Score
So? What does that have to do with UConn keeping Iowa in the game for 10 minutes, then the refs taking over, then Geno allowing the game to be in the refs hands instead of Bueckers'?
Your critical take on this particular team in this particular game after this particular year is way off base. Read the room.

JBK

Reaction Score
Just want to say congrats on a great run in the tournament. I was a Muhl skeptic and man did she prove me wrong tonight. Best defensive job I've seen on Clark all season.
Agreed. Play her heart out.

Reaction Score
Just for the record...it should be stated despite Aaliyah going to the bench in the 3rd quarter. Her stat line was 17 points, 1 block, 5 steals, 3 assists, and 8 rebounds. Three players in double figures, Nika with 9 and Ice with 7. We shot 46 percent from the field, Iowa 45 percent. UConn shot 32 percent from three and Iowa shot 28 percent. UConn shot 75 percent from the foul line and Iowa shot 71 percent. Finally, Bueckers and Muhl equaled Caitlin Clark from downtown. Each player scored three 3-pointers.
exactly. AE actually ended up playing ok. I think she missed a layup that looked bad but overall she played a solid game. I actually thought the two big lineup was good but it had Ice matched up to much against Stuelke and that's y Stuelke went off a bit. But AE played fine. Same with Paige, basically had the same shooting numbers as Caitlyn but just didn't get to the line like she did so ended up with 4 less points. I just thought she missed some shots she would love to have back and I think she could've forced the issue a bit more.

The last play though. Very interesting discussion, I hear what some of you are saying. It was going to be a tough shot even without the foul call, Stuelke was jumping out with Marshall trailing. I think it was a bit much, they didn't need a 3 as they were only down one. I wish they just let Paige catch it on the elbow and run a pick and roll with AE. Or just run a post up with Paige. But it was like a play going for a 3?

Reaction Score
CRIMINAL

Officiating malpractice, how does such an incompetent official get to work this game? He was way in over his head
The ref who made the awful call on Edwards was not a he.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Your critical take on this particular team in this particular game after this particular year is way off base. Read the room.

Your take on my post is inaccurate. My critical take is on Geno's end-of-game coaching decision. Maybe learn to comprehend posts before mouthing off.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That was a very rough call off a timeout, terrible foul call on AE not withstanding.

You have maybe the best player in the game and an incredibly clutch one at that, and instead of handing her the ball to make a play--as Iowa would've done with Clark--you set up a play with rotating parts and her OFF THE BALL where many things can go wrong, and then they did.

Reaction Score
UConn outscored Iowa by 5 from the field. Hate it when a team wins just from the stripe.
Yes. I feel like in some of these tournament games with UConn it’s so obvious the refs are calling the games right when it comes to UConn. Just like the ND games after Stewie left. Maybe we just try to play too pure of a basketball game amd we don’t do enough to initiate contact and do body contortions like other teams to get those extra foul calls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom