UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The problem with a call like that is it overshadows the game both teams actually played. Martin and Steulke and Affolter played a great game, as did KK and Nika and Aaliyah. Now the game is about a poor call. It's time to let it go, let Nika and Aaliyah remember a great season, and for the freshmen to build on this year's experience next fall.
I was pulling for UConn….but you guys were getting hosed by the refs as an outsider

Reaction Score
I was mad at the call with the replays they showed, but from the primary angle - Edwards moved a lot. A lot. Very undisciplined screen.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I feel like we tried to get too cute with lots of misdirection with nine seconds left … and Paige was going to be hemmed in on the sideline by multiple defenders if there was no call. Would have liked to just see her drive and find a mid-range shot or a pass. They don’t have good shot blockers.

Reaction Score
I thought so too at first but look at the replay. AE stuck out her elbow to impede the Iowa player. It was the clearly the correct call and it was not inconsequential but nevertheless heartbreaking.
Real time, I didn't see a foul. There were several replays from different angles. One of them, I could see an offensive foul, or enough of one so if a ref were so inclined, they could call one- but even then, it was still marginal. But then on another angle, it didn't look like an offensive foul, it seemed Edwards was set.

Reaction Score
What a fantastic season from these ladies. Ultimately taken down by the Caitlin Clark agenda. But couldn’t be prouder of this group. Congrats to Aaliyah and Nika on a fantastic 4 years. Is it time for next season yet?
The Caitlin Clark agenda. That is SPOT ON! Best description I’ve seen this year.

Reaction Score
The officiating in the NCAA Women's tournament leaves a lot to be desired. Remember last year's championship game crew? The horrible technical foul on Clark? Even the NCAA said the officiating in that game was below standards. A year later, and we have the debacle we had tonight. Certainly not the reason UConn lost, but it's just a bad look for the Women's tournament. NCAA, do better!

Reaction Score
Not a great game, but great great effort by UConn.

18 to 9 foul disparity; if that game was going to be won, far fewer mistakes needed to be committed, because the refs were NOT doing uconn any favors tonight. One team was called tight, the other barely called at all

Too bad, it did really ruin a great matchup

Reaction Score
That wasn’t a moving screen. Doesn’t mean game wasn’t fair. Refs aren’t good, but that is a systemic problem in men’s and women’s college basketball.

Reaction Score
Very proud UConn played their heart out! But disappointed that my General Manager will walk in with Iowa gear tomorrow! UConn will be right back next year!

Reaction Score
the refs took it out of the hands of the players and so many phantom calls. Man just disgusted with the officiating.

Paige needed to be more of a dog and aggressive. I thought she deferred too much and didn’t drive enough against a smaller player.

Proud of this team, was right there to get to the finals. Damn shame
It was a great season and of course disappointed in the outcome, but it was a missed opportunity to reach the NC in a winnable game. After loading the team on her back, Paige reverted back to her midseason tendency to defer to others. She seemed passive and lacked the aggressiveness that she displayed earlier throughout the tourney. I want her to reach the point where she demands the ball and states I'm going to win this game.

At least Nika went out on her sword. That girl is one tough customer. She made Caitlin Clark earn every point this evening. Unfortunately, UConn provided Dawn Staley with the blueprint on how to defend CC, though I don't think there's a SC player that possesses Nika's bulldog mentality.

This will stick a bit, and then the enthusiasm and optimism for next year will kick in.

Great job ladies.

Reaction Score
Crazy how you make that call at the end/ lotta non-hard-core fans watching-, had a great chance there to have a great ending with Paige taking final shot in front of millions. The refs took that away from us by feeling it necessary to make that call. That was pretty bad. Dumb ending ruined by the refs

Reaction Score
Game was still good UConn has 3-5 players who WNBA worthy where Iowa also has one

Reaction Score
She gave it back to Nika. I don't understand the play. Even if she gets it back she has only a few seconds. Give the ball to Jimmy Chitwood on the inbounds. This isn't rocket science.
Yep, that was clearly the play call. I wish Bueckers deviated and won it herself.

Reaction Score
That wasn’t a moving screen. Doesn’t mean game wasn’t fair. Refs aren’t good, but that is a systemic problem in men’s and women’s college basketball.
I think more so in womens. They allow physicality as a rule and call technical foul violations like this one. Last year's Final was a disgrace and this game, the biggest ever, was on center stage for all the world to see how crappy the refs are in the sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom