Uconn in a league of their own | The Boneyard

Uconn in a league of their own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-in-a-league-of-their-own/

This is a good read. Who knows where all of this will play out.... One thing is for certain, we need to win and keep doing it. Time will tell, but this conference gives us the best chance short term but no way for any extended period whatsoever..... I still keep a lot of faith in the fact that Fairfield County counts for 1/3 of the nYC market. That's OURS and it has to be worth something to someone!

Reaction Score
It's a market that could care less about college athletics, it's the reason we're in this predicament. The first thing I would do is kill the 8-9 games at XL. If they play 1-2 OOC and 1-2 confer games (Memphis, Cincy), but playing Tulane in front of 7k listless ppl is not an atmosphere.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-in-a-league-of-their-own/

This is a good read. Who knows where all of this will play out.... One thing is for certain, we need to win and keep doing it. Time will tell, but this conference gives us the best chance short term but no way for any extended period whatsoever..... I still keep a lot of faith in the fact that Fairfield County counts for 1/3 of the nYC market. That's OURS and it has to be worth something to someone!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That article goes completely off the duck*ing rails about 2/3rds of the way through.

You think Rutgers having a tough road to the Rose Bowl should be of any consolation to a school that's looking at a third-string bowl if they win the AAC? Or that West Virginia had to settle for the Pinstripe Bowl when that very bowl is being yanked out of UConn's orbit? Or that Boston College going 2-10 last year is in any way as dire a circumstance as the one we're in.

We'll realize around one-million dollars a year in television revenue. That's about 2.5-5% of what those schools have to work with - our problem is not how we'll pay for a new baseball facility, but how we'll pay for baseball itself.

Reaction Score
This wouldn't be so terrible if the money wasn't so minuscule. Oh and the whole "BCS leagues breaking away from the NCAA" thing.

Good to remember that there are still things that can get epically worse.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
That article goes completely off the duck*ing rails about 2/3rds of the way through.

You think Rutgers having a tough road to the Rose Bowl should be of any consolation to a school that's looking at a third-string bowl if they win the AAC? Or that West Virginia had to settle for the Pinstripe Bowl when that very bowl is being yanked out of UConn's orbit? Or that Boston College going 2-10 last year is in any way as dire a circumstance as the one we're in.

We'll realize around one-million dollars a year in television revenue. That's about 2.5-5% of what those schools have to work with - our problem is not how we'll pay for a new baseball facility, but how we'll pay for baseball itself.

I guess my thinking is that under the new playoff structure, the team that wins the AAC has at least a decent shot at making a contract bowl and the odds of us making that seem a lot better than Rutgers getting to the Rose Bowl.

While the TV revenue is certainly a drag in the future, the differences in total athletics budget is not remotely as extreme. It's not like our programs were ever completely funded by TV revenue either. The question is going to be, going forward, what is all this incremental money from TV contracts going to fund for the Big 5? More coaches and higher pay? Sure. Paying players? Not yet. Improving facilities? Sure. PR / Marketing? Yes. Reduce student fees required to subsidize athletics? Possibly.

Aside from paying players, I feel like UConn is already competitive on most metrics as an athletic program. Reputationally, we've taken / will continue to take a hit being part of the AAC and that will affect recruiting, etc. but it effects everyone else not in the Big 5 similarly. Would I rather be sitting in the B1G as the likely doormat of football, making a lot more money? Probably but I'll admit that my passion for a football team that consistently finishes in the bottom half of its conference would be diminished.

At the end of the day, I'm not ready to jump off a cliff because we're in the AAC for the next few years. What would depress the hell out of me though is more losing seasons in football in what is a very watered down conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm all for playing dirty at this point. Not paying players, dirty; more like incriminating pictures of SEC/ACC/B1G commissioners, presidents and coaches, dirty.

UCONN can't hire a PI to get the lowdown of Auburn et al paying FB players? Child, please.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Good article. We may have to take one step back (as major as it may seem) to take 2 steps forward, but we will be OK if we win and I think we can immediately in the AAC. Louisville did not get into the BE and ultimately the ACC by chance. They dominated Conf USA to the point that they had to be recognized as a legit athletic program that needed to play with the big boys. Same for Cinncinati on a lesser leveloverall, but they have established themselves by winning in a fairly mediocre football conference.

It is not the spot we want to be in, but we will be able to compete for an AAC football championship year in and year out until there are additional conference moves made. With where the basketball teams are at, we should be able to continue success there and be regulars in the NCAA tourney with legitimate chances to win. It is all we can do, but at least we are starting with national brand recognition and not form scratch like other have had to overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom