UConn improvement - people are noticing | The Boneyard

UConn improvement - people are noticing

Reaction Score
It reads like they really haven't watched the Huskies this season and certainly didn't see the UMess game. Which is fine since they are saying nice things about us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It reads like they really haven't watched the Huskies this season and certainly didn't see the UMess game. Which is fine since they are saying nice things about us.
"You are what you record says you are" works both ways.

Reaction Score
I want no part of Kansas. They are ahead of us in their rebirth. They have a lot of weapons on offense. Our D is good but we'd have to put up quite a few points to beat them. We'd have little chance of beating them without scoring 35 points or so.

Reaction Score
I want no part of Kansas. They are ahead of us in their rebirth. They have a lot of weapons on offense. Our D is good but we'd have to put up quite a few points to beat them. We'd have little chance of beating them without scoring 35 points or so.
I’m with ya. I don’t think we’re ready for Kansas yet. Someone posted a mid season bowl predictor and it predicted us playing Memphis. I’d like to see that matchup. I think it would a tough but winnable game, and a nice nose-thumbing to the AAC if we upset them

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Kansas is a year ahead of us. Their record under Leopold in 2021 was 2-10. Pay Mora and the assistants to keep them here. Then, get the injured offensive players back on the field. We should be a solid team in '23!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"You are what you record says you are" works both ways.
Yes it does, but lest we forget where UConn's wins are ranked.

CCSU - NR (FCS)
Fresno St. - 65/131
FIU - 121
Boston College - 104
UMass -131

Liberty is 19, Army is 109, and UConn is ranked 94, as I type. There are 43 bowl games (86 programs) this year so UConn's ranking is still currently on the outside looking in. On the other hand, I believe 6 win programs still have priority over 5 win programs with conference tie-ins.

Don't get me wrong. I love that UConn is in position to control their own postseason destiny, and will watch (if not go) if they're invited, but I have to be honest. If I weren't a 20-year season-ticket-holding diehard homer alumnus, I'd have to admit that UConn plays a pretty boring brand of football.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. I love that UConn is in position to control their own postseason destiny, and will watch (if not go) if they're invited, but I have to be honest. If I weren't a 20-year season-ticket-holding diehard homer alumnus, I'd have to admit that UConn plays a pretty boring brand of football.
The fact that we have to manage the game and not play a wide open offense has been discussed on this board ad nauseum. And I'll tell you what, I'd rather be bored and winning as opposed to being entertained and losing, not to mention bored and losing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The fact that we have to manage the game and not play a wide open offense has been discussed on this board ad nauseum. And I'll tell you what, I'd rather be bored and winning as opposed to being entertained and losing, not to mention bored and losing.
Notwithstanding. As a 20 year season ticket holder and regular attendee of games for the final six years of 1-AA, I agree.

I didn't say I was personally bored going to games. However, if I were an outsider looking at UConn from a bowl organizer perspective, UConn could still be left out in the cold if there are at least 86 other programs with a 6-6 or better record. From 30,000 feet UConn is a nice story, but bowl game organizers want to deliver an entertaining product as well.

A lot can happen in the next 10 days, but as of now, CBS is not predicting a bowl game for UConn. The lowest "pool" game is the Cure Bowl, pitting Ohio (7-3, 74) vs. Georgia State (4-5, 87). Memphis also only has 4 wins but is ranked 77. They are slotted in the Fenway Bowl vs Pitt (5-4, 52). The second two less-prestigious pool games puts Troy (7-2, 45) vs. Fresno State (5-4, 65) in the Frisco Bowl (Dallas, Texas) and App. St. (5-4, 60) vs. Georgia Tech. (5-4, 82).

Bowl-wise, this is what UConn is up against. Just being realistic.

Reaction Score
Yes it does, but lest we forget where UConn's wins are ranked.

CCSU - NR (FCS)
Fresno St. - 65/131
FIU - 121
Boston College - 104
UMass -131

Liberty is 19, Army is 109, and UConn is ranked 94, as I type. There are 43 bowl games (86 programs) this year so UConn's ranking is still currently on the outside looking in. On the other hand, I believe 6 win programs still have priority over 5 win programs with conference tie-ins.

The guy had weeks to put a class together and we have a 4th string QB and 4th string RB. Give us all a break.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding. As a 20 year season ticket holder and regular attendee of games for the final six years of 1-AA, I agree.

I didn't say I was personally bored going to games. However, if I were an outsider looking at UConn from a bowl organizer perspective, UConn could still be left out in the cold if there are at least 86 other programs with a 6-6 or better record. From 30,000 feet UConn is a nice story, but bowl game organizers want to deliver an entertaining product as well.

A lot can happen in the next 10 days, but as of now, CBS is not predicting a bowl game for UConn. The lowest "pool" game is the Cure Bowl, pitting Ohio (7-3, 74) vs. Georgia State (4-5, 87). Memphis also only has 4 wins but is ranked 77. They are slotted in the Fenway Bowl vs Pitt (5-4, 52). The second two less-prestigious pool games puts Troy (7-2, 45) vs. Fresno State (5-4, 65) in the Frisco Bowl (Dallas, Texas) and App. St. (5-4, 60) vs. Georgia Tech. (5-4, 82).

We’re not on the CBS list because they are going purely off the tie ins.

Reaction Score
There are 43 bowl games (86 programs) this year so UConn's ranking is still currently on the outside looking in. On the other hand, I believe 6 win programs still have priority over 5 win programs with conference tie-ins.
Just a small point of clarification - The teams in the CFP National Championship Game are already counted in the CFP semifinal games (Peach/Fiesta Bowls) so there are only 42 overall “selectable” games/84 teams.

… ranking (in the scope of 1-131) really doesn’t matter once you get past the CFP/Top 25. Besides contractual bowl tie-ins - how many tickets you are going to buy/sell and how much your fans are going to spend locally probably matters more than who is #78 vs #88 when it comes to bowl organizers.

Reaction Score

You'll find that pragmatism and being realistic is frowned upon by many here. I don't know much about the bowl landscape in recent years, but you've raised some interesting points.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The guy had weeks to put a class together and we have a 4th string QB and 4th string RB. Give us all a break.
Give you a break on what? 5-5 with a "4th string QB (Zion Turner turned out to be 2nd String) and 4th string RB" is a tremendous accomplishment, but at the end of the day it is only truly significant to UConn fans. Bowl organizers want to offer an entertaining product and increase the prestige of their game.

As I said, I love the position they are in and I am having more fun this year than the last five combined. At the very least I've stayed in the building for the entire game. I am just being realistic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From 30,000 feet UConn is a nice story, but bowl game organizers want to deliver an entertaining product as well.
No, they want to fill seats. If they feel like we are going to do that, we are in assuming we’re over .500.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some projections from this week:

SI has us in the Armed Forces Bowl (Ft. Worth, 12/22) vs ECU
24/7 has in the Liberty Bowl(!) vs Oklahoma St.

Neither Yahoo Sports nor Bleacher Report have us in, but both have Army (3-5) projected for a bowl, as does Jerry Palm of CBSSports as Army has a specific tie-in with the Independence Bowl. UConn can make that not happen and open up a spot.

Reaction Score
I was typing this just as ^^^ posted. I really hate talking about bowl games when we're not even bowl eligible yet. Going 7-5 would be truly amazing.

I just checked it out. Army is 3-5 with games against Troy, UCONN, UMass, and Navy, so every game is a must win for them. Troy is actually the highest ranked team and is #2 in the Sun Belt.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was typing this just as ^^^ posted. I really hate talking about bowl games when we're not even bowl eligible yet. Going 7-5 would be truly amazing.

I just checked it out. Army is 3-5 with games against Troy, UCONN, UMass, and Navy, so every game is a must win for them. Troy is actually the highest ranked team and is #2 in the Sun Belt.
Army is guaranteed a bowl bid with six wins.

Reaction Score
Army is guaranteed a bowl bid with six wins.
Yes. I was looking at it more like every game is a must win because Army has little margin for error. If it loses to Troy, and it seems it very well could, the next 3 are really must wins so the UCONN - Army game will be uber big for both teams. That game could decide which of the two goes bowling, or at least doesn't go bowling.

Reaction Score
Give you a break on what? 5-5 with a "4th string QB (Zion Turner turned out to be 2nd String) and 4th string RB" is a tremendous accomplishment, but at the end of the day it is only truly significant to UConn fans. Bowl organizers want to offer an entertaining product and increase the prestige of their game.

As I said, I love the position they are in and I am having more fun this year than the last five combined. At the very least I've stayed in the building for the entire game. I am just being realistic.

Bowl organizers at our end of the food chain want a bowl eligible team. That’s it.

Reaction Score

i know everyone will be shocked ,but I think we will beat Liberty Saturday. They are nationally ranked and it will absolutely blow everyone minds but we go bowling after we beat them,

Reaction Score
I understand all the basic and important elements that make a team attractive to Bowl organizers, but if we’re eligible, don’t discount the fact that Jim Mora is a name brand coach who has lots of contacts and lots of good will.
The UConn story, like Kansas, is perfect for being spotlighted in a Bowl Game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom