UConn Hockey 2013-2014 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only way UConn will be able to rectify it's past history is to keep Cavanaugh. He needs to stay and create his own program. He a shot to work wonders here and I think he knows it. He certainly is not in the shadow of Bruce Marshall.

QU goes for so many Canadian kids. Yale lost last night; was there. They are probably done for the season now. Lost with 18 seconds in OT. SHU won in front of 200+ with one second left against Niagra. SHU game tonight for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is great. Air Force was receiving votes in the top 25. This team can make a big splash (relatively speaking) if it keeps performing.

We need a dedicated hockey board.

Reaction Score
We need a dedicated hockey board.
I could actually live college hockey for the rest of my life. It's great. Came across a 60s UConn player last night. We were talking about the once-open rink at UConn. The wind there worked to our advantage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Used to go
I could actually live college hockey for the rest of my life. It's great. Came across a 60s UConn player last night. We were talking about the once-open rink at UConn. The wind there worked to our advantage.
Man alive, watched quite a few games in that rink...swear to God, when the wind blew...I get cold thinking about it!!!!!!!

Huge home and home with Bentley....must do everything possible to make sure Cav stays-great selection
Warde to lead us into Hockey East!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Used to go

Man alive, watched quite a few games in that rink...swear to God, when the wind blew...I get cold thinking about it!!!!!!!

Huge home and home with Bentley....must do everything possible to make sure Cav stays-great selection
One thing we can do to make sure Cav stays is show up at games. ;)

Time for crowds of 2K+. Gotta hit 4K.

Reaction Score
Favorite rink of all time...where I learned to skate and play the game!!!!!

Reaction Score
AHA Standings (through Sunday Feb 2, 2014..courtesy of College Hockey News)
Team League Record Pts
Mercyhurst 13-2-4 30
Bentley 11-4-4 26
UCONN 11-5-3 25
Air Force 10-6-3 23
Robert Morris 10-6-3 23
Canisius 9-8-2 20
Niagara 8-8-3 19
RIT 7-10-2 16
Holy Cross 6-10-3 15
AIC 6-12-1 13
Sacred Heart 6-13-0 12
Army 3-16-0 6

(Teams in bold are our remaining conference opponents)
This weekend was good...too bad we couldn't have taken 4 pts, BUT 2 of 4 isn't bad. The home/home (2/7 & 2/8) with Bentley next weekend is HUGE! We need at least a split. Then we have a non-conference game away at Providence College (Feb 11). We finish with a home/home vs Holy Cross (2/14 & 2/15), home/home with Army (2/21 & 2/22) and away at Sacred Heart (2/28 & 3/1). This team needs to keep the pedal down and take 12 points in the final 3 series. These teams are 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the AHA standings, if they are going to make a run at the regular season title these 6 games are a MUST win. Bentley finishes with Army, Sacred Heart and AIC...Mercyhurst finishes with Air Force, RIT, Niagara, and Robert Morris. We control our own destiny...16 points would put Bentley to bed and gives us at least 2nd...

Reaction Score
We're entering crunch time now. I was disappointed but not that shocked we lost on Saturday. Air Force is tough at home and its tricky to travel that far and have to play back to back at that altitude. Bu tUConn is in a decent position to make a run. Beating Bentley this weekend would be a huge step. Hoping to get up to Storrs for the game on Friday. The remaining teams are not quite at the same level. Last yer it was all about finishing well and getting home ice a bye plus home ice. This year it is about winning. I wasn't thrilled with Cavanaugh, but so far I think he has been a great choice. He has both been forward looking and appreciative of the current team. I think that's hard to do but he's done it well.

Reaction Score
I thought that rink was the coldest place on earth. I remember going to a game when it was freezing cold, and snowing blowing...just wild. Everyone crushing into the warming hut between periods. I did color on WHUS for 1 game there on a freezing cold night, filling in for a friend who was the regular color man. The press box wasn't exactly warm but at least it had sides and a roof to break the wind. The players used to wear sunglasses for practice and the occasional day game. Gave them a big advantage since very few hockey teams travelled with sunglasses!

Reaction Score
Robbie Nichols with the shut out tonight as UCONN beats Bentley 3-0 and moves past them into 2nd place in the AHA (UCONN 27 pts, Bentley 26 pts). HUGE win at home...they travel up to Bentley tomorrow night for the 2nd game of the home/home. Mercyhurst up on Air Force 2-0 in 1st period right now.

Reaction Score
Robbie Nichols with the shut out tonight as UCONN beats Bentley 3-0 and moves past them into 2nd place in the AHA (UCONN 27 pts, Bentley 26 pts). HUGE win at home...they travel up to Bentley tomorrow night for the 2nd game of the home/home. Mercyhurst up on Air Force 2-0 in 1st period right now.

Reaction Score

Game time is 7 PM at Ryan Arena located in Watertown MA.
From the Bentley website.: The John A. Ryan Skating Arena in Watertown is home to Bentley's Division I hockey team, which competes in the Atlantic Hockey Association. The JAR is located at 1 Paramount Place, less than a 10-minute drive from the campus. "
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I was at the game last night. Expected a tight one, but UConn totally dominated. Bentley seemed to have someone in a white shirt contesting every single shot. And Nichols is a very nice goaltender. My only complaint, aside from getting a little sloppy late, is that the band needs to learn to be a hockey band. They perform like its basetball.

Reaction Score
Used to go

The open aire rink was a great place to play hockey. (as a junior hockey player, I played there a few times) Who knew then that UConn would be in a big time hockey league.

Reaction Score
The split wasn't good...but it wasn't bad. They need 12 pts in their final 6 league games vs Holy Cross, Army, and Sacred Heart. A win Tues vs PC would be gravy!!!

Reaction Score
The split wasn't good...but it wasn't bad. They need 12 pts in their final 6 league games vs Holy Cross, Army, and Sacred Heart. A win Tues vs PC would be gravy!!!
On the one hand, you could make a case that UConn is finsihing their toughest stretch of the season, 6 games against the top 3 teams in the league (well, 3 of the top 4. Huskies are #3). And 5 of those were on the road. They finished 2-2-2. On the other hand they had a chance to really take control and they didn't do that. On the other hand, with the way they dominated Bentley Friday, I went home confident that they would continue to play just as well Saturday at Bentley. This is the 2nd week in a row they've played really well on Friday and no so well on Saturday. They need to step it up and focus every game the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
We need open air tournament or a men's and women's game at the Rent.

Reaction Score
We need open air tournament or a men's and women's game at the Rent.

It's a good idea. Went when they did it in 2011... just need someone to foot the bill. Last time it was the former Hartford Whalers group.

Reaction Score
Well that sucked...

UConnMHOC9:38pm via TweetDeck
#UConn Suffers Set Back at Bentley, 4-1uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hocke…

I win on Tuesday could make me forget tonight. ;)
Don't worry, I put the students in their place at the JAR. ;) They sure were loud.

Great weekend, went to both games. Too bad we lost the second. People can say whatever they want about the AHA but what a fun conference it's been. I believe many of these programs will grow in time.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, you could make a case that UConn is finsihing their toughest stretch of the season, 6 games against the top 3 teams in the league (well, 3 of the top 4. Huskies are #3). And 5 of those were on the road. They finished 2-2-2. On the other hand they had a chance to really take control and they didn't do that. On the other hand, with the way they dominated Bentley Friday, I went home confident that they would continue to play just as well Saturday at Bentley. This is the 2nd week in a row they've played really well on Friday and no so well on Saturday. They need to step it up and focus every game the rest of the way.
We're in fourth place. Air Force is ahead now. The game at Bentley was a repeat of what Bentley did at UConn, made mistakes that led to goals that put us in a hole. The score doesn't reflect the quality of play at Bentley. Slobberknocker series. He who made the least mistakes wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom