UConn @ Georgia State Panthers - Saturday 9/9/23 @Center Parc Stadium @7p on ESPN+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Georgia State Panthers - Saturday 9/9/23 @Center Parc Stadium @7p on ESPN+

Reaction Score
Malik was walking around with a taped up knee. hit the bike and was ready to go out, then the trainers held him back. hope that the feeling good enough to go out thing was a good sign, but i was the same way back in high school and it turned out i had torn my PCL. high hopes though!!!!
Mora said slight MCL sprain and he is starting to feel alright.

Reaction Score
That is quite something to think about. RI the 171st rated football team (including FCS and FBS, UConn is 145th per Massey) has a QB that is better than anyone at UConn. Kid threw for over 400 yards and RI had 520 yards of offense. There is something to this "highly rated out of high school" and subsequent potential upside, even if it takes a few years.
I try to not over react to stars. Using that logic New Mexico State has a better qb and Utep has a better rb than bama or UGa.

Reaction Score
Athletic also came out with a ranking today:

10 Tenesse
13 Duke
38 NC State
63 James Madison
85 Georgia Southern
86 UConn
100 BC
102 Rice
105 UMass
109 Utah State
127 Ball State
128 FIU
NR Sacred Heart

Is Duke really a top 15 team? That was a super flukey game last night against Clemson...

Let Duke have high ranking. All the better when we beat them.

Reaction Score

Assisted access

-> “I’m always very critical of myself,” Mora said Tuesday. “If they didn’t tackle well, that means I didn’t do a good job during the week of emphasizing it. If I don’t put them in a good call and it puts them in a bad position, that’s something else I look at. But ultimately when you get out on the field – great defenses tackle. Great defenses tackle, they swarm and they tackle, and we missed way too many tackles so that was probably the genesis of it all.”

“First week, usually tackling is not the best thing, but we can’t use that as an excuse, we gotta use that as just a watch film, learning situation,” linebacker Noah Plack said. “(It is) just pursuit to the ball, really, and playing together more. I feel like sometimes we kind of do our own thing a little bit, just sticking to the plan and just doing what we’ve got to do.” <-

Reaction Score
Very good press conference by Coach Mora. He addressed all issues Yarders were complaining about after game one. Hopefully our fanbase can step up and really get behind the team. There were a number of questions about the fans from the press. He addressed those issues well. Have to play exciting ball. On to the next game.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
If our OL plays dominant, it's gonna be a nice day for us...
That’s a big if, I like lundt but he struggled on pass pro last week. His run blocking was good but he was giving up pressures on pass pro far to often

Reaction Score
RE: Tackling. How many days in a game week do they practice in full pads with full contact at game speed? The reason I ask is that it is awfully hard to improve tackling skill under other conditions. It's a complicated physics problem and has to be done at full speed and full force to get better. Anyone have expertise in this area? Can they ever practice under those conditions? If not, that is a fundamental problem.

Reaction Score
RE: Tackling. How many days in a game week do they practice in full pads with full contact at game speed? The reason I ask is that it is awfully hard to improve tackling skill under other conditions. It's a complicated physics problem and has to be done at full speed and full force to get better. Anyone have expertise in this area? Can they ever practice under those conditions? If not, that is a fundamental problem.
I actually thought it would be difficult too, but I heard a few good coaches this week claim that fixing tackling is not a huge deal in a week if you focus on it. Not sure if that is some coach BS or not, but I would have thought that it took some time.

Reaction Score
Lot of good happy talk, it's all about offensive play/passing. Looked up on "Team Rankings" for how many plays teams run per game. 2022 UConn was 128th with 61.8 and 55 for 1st game of 2023 was very low. Not something would expect from team that is run 1st, reinforces concept that UConn's run stats are skewed to few big runs and lot of short runs leading to not moving chains.

Since was there looked at "average team passer ratings" (whatever that means) and for 2022 UConn was 88.5 which was last for all FBS teams, 2023 was 102.4 which was 125th and one game in 2023 was 84.1. Just to show how poor UConn is/was for 2022 the high was almost 180 and the median was about 130. Most of the good teams were at the top.

Yards per pass attempt 2022 was 5.1 which was 129th with other team highs of 10.0 and median of 7.3. 1st game of 2023 was 4.2 for UConn.

Current college football is passing orientated and UConn's plan of running 1st (especially with smaller backs and tight formations) is counter to what most college teams are doing. We shall see how that works in year 2. Can only shorten game so much by lot of runs and taking 39.5 seconds on each snap, got to score more than 18.7 as was the per game in 2022 (against 5 top 85 teams in 2022 averaged little over 11 points per game with some of those teams playing 2nd/3rd string for much of the second half).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom