UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think a number of our starters probably have dings that we can't see or don't even know about. We got a peek at Nika's ankle problem when she had to take her shoe off and tighten that hidden support strap. Likewise with Lou. And everybody held his/her breath when AE needed to re-tie her shoelace. As viewers, we can almost feel their exhaustion, especially knowing how good they can play when healthy and well-rested.
I noticed that Lou had her knee bandage up during a practice pre-SC game and she was definitely having knee issues last game. There is also the ankle issue that she's been dealing since earlier this season. Additionally she just looks banged up. I hope that she can find her rhythm again and not just because I love watching her play, but for her own sake as well. I am surprised no one has mentioned that she and Edwards are the only two who have been available for every game and started every game as well. I guess it's expected that they go through a slump. Usually Lou is solid for 15 a game. With Edwards scoring 18+. If they were both solid, the last two games would have at least been 70 plus points.

Reaction Score
Yes, give Inez a run. She is quick, plays hard on defense and does break much more for the hoop on offense. She also passes with more snap instead of the many lazy passes we make for turnovers.
Totally agree. Geno put her in to help with the press, and she did admirably. Knew not to get trapped into a corner, quick on the dribble, and, as you say, crisp passes. She is also ready to attack the rim/look for her offense. (She traveled, but she made the effort.) Ayanna has to take her shots. Not be mindful of how she is performing, per coaches. When everyone on the floor looks to take open opportunities on offense, the better the offense flows.

On the team, I guess we'll just have to live with double digit turnovers. It's their identity this year.

JBK

Reaction Score
Agee
We need Azzi and everyone has been very quiet on her status. In the last pre pressor I was shocked no one asked Geno about Azzi. She will be our savior this year but f she can return

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last year I was thinking this same thing when UConn was struggling to beat BE teams ... I'm thinking it again now. I always want to believe that UConn has a magical "big dance" switch that they turn out and winning and winning. But this year's team ... I don't know. Injuries and fatigue are one thing, but the mental mistakes seem to happen almost every game. I don't know the solution, but I hope whatever it is can resolve itself by tourney time.
Me too, but remember.....Geno said he's NEVER had a team that had to go through what THIS team is experiencing. The rash of injuries that have hit this team is very unusual. This team is doing what I can remember (since I've been following UConn WBB -2008) only 1 other team coming close to.

That was the 2010-2011 team. Due to injuries, they were down to 8 players. Freshmen Lauren Engeln, Michala Johnson and senior Lorin Dixon were the reserves. Dixon was the only reserve that Geno used once he was down to 8 players except in garbage time. UConn lost to Notre Dame in the semi championship game. ND lost to Texas A&M in the championship game. Engeln and Johnson both transferred after the following season. I thought Geno should have been voted the coach of the year for the way he coached and managed those 8 players, and for how far they went in the tournament. UConn was fine after the following season because the BIG three came in....Tuck, Jefferson and Stewart.

An interesting note about UConn's lost to ND - Maya Moore attempted 30 field goals in the semifinal against Notre Dame, the most ever attempted in a Final Four game.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Nika. I love that kid, but something's up with her. She has lost her fire and her composure at times. When Georgetown stole the ball on a fast break, she sulked and didn't even attempt to run. I'm seeing shoulders down, not her usual on fire-get the team inspired attitude. Spending more time angry at the refs. Kinda like her freshman year. We beed her fire back. Lou seems the same to me. It's a grind right now and they are not responding well.

You answered your own question. "The Grind" is what's up with Nika. She's played a ton of minutes against some very tough competition. Let's not forget that she was never even supposed to be the main point guard on this team. It was Paige, and Nika was a complementary piece. The pressure she has is unbelievable.

Reaction Score
DJ was terrific. Can she do something close to this against SC the next time around?

AG was terrific as well. NM hit some big threes but she is getting mentally fatigued, not to mentioned physically. I really liked that AP got some big time rebounds and played good defense. She doesnt have much confidence in shooting and still picks up a lot of fouls in a short period of time.

AE - she is in a serious funk. Teams collapsing on her and no room to operate until Lou starts hitting threes again. Doesn't seem to flash to the high post for that intermediate shot much anymore.

Not a good sign when your pass first point scores more than your shooting guard. At least NM is making them pay with her outside shooting.

Also big was hitting FTs down the stretch - this may be overlooked by some, but if we don't hit them all as we did, this could have been very different.

23 TOs leading to GT getting 12 more shots at the rim than we did. This completly mitigates our rebounding advantange. Outside of defending fauntleroy, we were really good in this area.

ugly win is like cold pizza, I'll still take it.

JBK

Reaction Score
Oh no.
Not sure we can fix this turnover issue in a week
Also. Nika turned that ankle pretty good and it usually allow you to finish a game - but I hope it did not blow up on her after

Reaction Score
One thing that had me shouting at the TV: When Lou fouled out, Georgetown was pressing and UConn was having problems with it. Why didn't Geno put Inês in then? It would have given them another ball handler, passer, shooter.
He finally did and she dribble around three players. Much quicker and better ball handler than anyone on the floor. There I said it.

Reaction Score
How do they get so many more shots than we do? I know they won on turnovers, but we won by more on rebounds. I assume a lot our turnovers are also their steals, so you don't add them together. If we win rebounds by 25 and they win TO's by 10 we should have more shots. I know some of our shots were replaced by free throws we got to take, but it still does not seem to add up.
Not much adds up at this point but were still rowing the great BB ocean.

Reactions: JBK
Reaction Score
I think it worked. Dorka had a monster game on the boards (no slapaways that I recall), and was near-perfect on offense in the paint. And there was one play of hers that really impressed me. She took a pass and drove toward the basket, and just as she met the defender, I was convinced she was going to take one more step and get called for an offensive foul. But she wisely stopped before contact and immediately went up for a chippy that went in. That move showed me a lot.
Dorka had a great game, controlled the defensive boards and kept control of her outlet passes. She is formable clearing out for others to drive especially in man to man and sets up calling for ball with a great wide stance. Her two recent games were among her best for UConn with very little rest. She did struggle against SC but fought a good fight.

Our two transfers have provided the backbone of a successful season. It looks like Geno may use more of this structure going forward. The young bench has struggled but the transfers readily adopted and were court ready. Look at MD and LSU. Go Lou, Go Dorka! New Englanders may be slow to adopt to strangers, but they have more than earned our hugs.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Geno put her in to help with the press, and she did admirably. Knew not to get trapped into a corner, quick on the dribble, and, as you say, crisp passes. She is also ready to attack the rim/look for her offense. (She traveled, but she made the effort.) Ayanna has to take her shots. Not be mindful of how she is performing, per coaches. When everyone on the floor looks to take open opportunities on offense, the better the offense flows.

On the team, I guess we'll just have to live with double digit turnovers. It's their identity this year.
Our turnovers, that occur during a scoring opportunity are acceptable. They are not so much when happening due to our excessive passing or passing up clean looks as we often do. Amen! The injured bench will show the difference.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I hesitate to ask this but is it too late. When is Caroline coming back? Geno gives us hope, but she's still not on the court. When is Azzi coming back? No answer from Geno, so we don't know. Right now, I question how we are going to be when these two players actually come back. We are only talking about two players. The kids playing now are exhausted, but when can their bodies recoup the energy they have lost? The only good down time is between the BE tournament and the NCAA tournament. Is that enough time for them to regain their energy or is it too late and they will just be able to go through the motions, even with Azzi and Caroline back. Let's see, five overworked players and two players trying to get back into shape. What's the difference-none. I am hoping for the best, and I pray that they have not done too much damage to their bodies that they won't recover until it is too late. I know this is a terrible post, but watching last night really got me thinking and worried. Hoping for the best, and Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Not to be a harbinger of doom and gloom, but....................this is not your father's UConn WBB team. They struggled today with a 12-12 (5-11) BE team. It is what it is!! They don't appear to be improving. My turban is off to those who look at this UConn team and think they will make the final four because they see something I don't. Playing like this, they may not make it past game #2, especially if either of those first two teams smells blood in the water.

I'm NOT throwing shade at our girls, just sharing an observation. UConn may not win the BE tournament playing like this. They will have to beat Villanova (22-4/13-2) and Creighton (17-6/11-4) to win the BE tournament. They CAN do it, but will they? :rolleyes:
I agree with you. This is not a negative post, but observation. Team is clearly mentally and physically exhausted, a step slow (except for Aubrey), dropping passes, making bad decisions, hesitant, etc.

And based on the "Eye Test" does not remotely look like a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
unrealistic to expect that this team can go far in the tournament and may have trouble in the BE tournament. IMO the best thing you can take out of this season is the privilege of watching this incredibly gutty group perform under impossible circumstances. Dorka and Lou should be excellent pros.

JBK

Reaction Score
Dorka had a great game, controlled the defensive boards and kept control of her outlet passes. She is formable clearing out for others to drive especially in man to man and sets up calling for ball with a great wide stance. Her two recent games were among her best for UConn with very little rest. She did struggle against SC but fought a good fight.

Our two transfers have provided the backbone of a successful season. It looks like Geno may use more of this structure going forward. The young bench has struggled but the transfers readily adopted and were court ready. Look at MD and LSU. Go Lou, Go Dorka! New Englanders may be slow to adopt to strangers, but they have more than earned our hugs.
Agreed. Just hope Dorka plays better against the tougher competition and players for her own good

Reaction Score
I think the reality is that even the current starting five is not healthy. I believe someone on the site said Lou had something protective on her knee prior to the SC game, and since then her performance suggests she is playing hurt, and she clearly had a brace after the last one.. In addition when Nika turned her ankle the announcer said she had been having trouble with that ankle, indicating there was a problem before that even happened.

As we know the team says as little as possible regarding injuries, but it appears that we only have three healthy starters now, and that both Lou and Nika may have been playing not just tired, but also at less than 100% for several games. When it rains it pours.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing but unfortunately Ines is a DiV 2 player and that where she was heading before our phone call My daughter played D2 and there is amazing talent, but it is not UCONN level - I am surprised she has not been able to hit any 3s
Lou was a Div 2 player. Are you suggesting we sent her back b/c we play Div 1?

Reaction Score
I think the reality is that even the current starting five is not healthy. I believe someone on the site said Lou had something protective on her knee prior to the SC game, and since then her performance suggests she is playing hurt, and she clearly had a brace after the last one.. In addition when Nika turned her ankle the announcer said she had been having trouble with that ankle, indicating there was a problem before that even happened.

As we know the team says as little as possible regarding injuries, but it appears that we only have three healthy starters now, and that both Lou and Nika may have been playing not just tired, but also at less than 100% for several games. When it rains it pours.
Its possible that the announcer could be referring to Nika's ankle issues going back to freshman year rather than a current exiting issue. She has been wearing the ankle braces
Nika's ankle braces.jpeg
the entire season. I would guess to give additional support because of her past history of being prone to sprains. Really hope this was minor, perhaps the brace helped to lessen it from being more severe. She seemed to move okay after tightening everything up before returning to the floor. Given how tough Nika is and how much weight she has been forced to carry it's possible she just blocked out any pain and went back to work. We'll know better on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom