UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thoughts:
-the team defense which had been totally impregnable got a little less so when Q first came in and let an opposing player go by her...Q's previous weakness on D...for the rest of the game she played really well, made a tough shot, rebounded well (she seems to have a knack) stole balls was a real pest...she's coming along.

-The team...in their hour of need (both nights)...really focused on who can hurt them of the their opponents, an old UConn. trick...and they were really effective at keeping discipline to the end, both nights.

-Ice didn't even think (well hardly) of taking deep shots...she took good one from around the foul line thought too much and missed, the rest of the time, she scored inside on great mostly feeds. And rebounded well as did KK, Nika, Q, everyone

-Ash had seemingly a quiet game, but she was a demon on defense, took a held ball away from a big forward and in general complemented the scorers well.

- And lastly, Paige's game bears some resemblance to Clarke...the latter gets more assists and Paige is much better on D...But I think that Paige has to be seriously considered for national honors despite the Catlin hype... based on efficiency and defense; steals and blocks...

Clark is a great player and a phenomenal shooter; Paige may be better yet, better rounded; the blocks and D from such an offensive threat are remarkable, perhaps unique.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
E4E44425-07C1-40BC-BD08-1F5720298F39.jpeg

Reaction Score
Geno, has done an amazing Job with this team. Paige took the leader of the pack mind set all three games and everyone else fell in line. Defense and Rebounding was insane. Ice Ice Brady. So impressed with her. Playing 40 minutes and Staying out of foul trouble while playing quality post defense. 3 freshman playing huge roles in their first ever Big East tournament means sky the limit for UConn's future. Let's Gooooo!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
paige is uconn's best player but i don't think she is 'the leader of the pack.'

all three stars are leaders in their own ways. the team would be nowhere without nika and liya and while paige definitely leads, it's not a position she aspires to.

it is not, thankfully, another burden she has to carry because nika, especially, and liya gladly assume a lot of that responsibility. that's one less necessary assignment that paige has to perform brilliantly. give the woman a break. :D

there is plenty of leadership available from nika, liya and the coaches. paige leads by example, yes, but she has more vital duties to perform. after all, uconn plays a team game. everyone helps out.

leadership is hard, though it seems to come naturally to a few. i don't think paige flourished there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This season I have mostly been lurking on the BY rather than participating, but I had to speak up tonight because I am SO incredibly proud of the effort that we saw from this team over the past couple of days. When Aaliyah went down on Saturday, I thought that our chances of winning the BET were about 30%, with a close win over Creighton a possibility. Boy, was I happily wrong! Congrats to GT for an impressive run in honor of their late coach, and for their effort tonight. But the effort from the Huskies- just wow! Huge credit goes to Paige for her unbelievable performance in all three games. Her offensive output was ridiculous with 83 points in 3 games, but it was her defense that truly stood out. Rebounds, steals, and blocks, oh my! The Huskies are so lucky to have her. It was the performance from Ice, however, that led to two dominant wins. I don’t know what clicked for her, but she played with skill, intensity, and stamina on both ends of the court, and she did it with only 3 fouls in 80 minutes. Great contributions from KK, Ash, Q, and, of course, the heart of the team, Nika. Each year seems to have a special team, but this group is unique. They play with intensity, fire, heart, and they play for each other. It is a joy to watch! One more tourney to go.

Reaction Score
This season I have mostly been lurking on the BY rather than participating, but I had to speak up tonight because I am SO incredibly proud of the effort that we saw from this team over the past couple of days. When Aaliyah went down on Saturday, I thought that our chances of winning the BET were about 30%, with a close win over Creighton a possibility. Boy, was I happily wrong! Congrats to GT for an impressive run in honor of their late coach, and for their effort tonight. But the effort from the Huskies- just wow! Huge credit goes to Paige for her unbelievable performance in all three games. Her offensive output was ridiculous with 83 points in 3 games, but it was her defense that truly stood out. Rebounds, steals, and blocks, oh my! The Huskies are so lucky to have her. It was the performance from Ice, however, that led to two dominant wins. I don’t know what clicked for her, but she played with skill, intensity, and stamina on both ends of the court, and she did it with only 3 fouls in 80 minutes. Great contributions from KK, Ash, Q, and, of course, the heart of the team, Nika. Each year seems to have a special team, but this group is unique. They play with intensity, fire, heart, and they play for each other. It is a joy to watch! One more tourney to go.
Thanks for your thoughts. Don’t lurk so much! We want to hear more from thoughtful people.

Reaction Score
No matter how this season turns out, the one thing I will say is you have to be proud of this team vs most other top 10 teams because it is the only one (except South Carolina) that did not lose to a random unranked team, I believe, and even South Carolina should have suffer that fate at the hand of Tennesse as well. For that, I am very proud of this team.

Reaction Score
After watching the last 2 Big East games for UConn vs Marquette and Georgetown, this scene from the movie Tora, Tora, Tora (about Pearl Harbor) made me giddy thinking of UConn's upcoming NCAA Tournament opponents!

Reaction Score
In the hand shake line, each and every husky went up to Bri Scott and gave her a hug and well wishes!!
That's just something that the UConn program does: good people come in and become better. There are a lot of things the program does in addition to winning titles, and this year they've already accomplished a lot of them: including immensely rewarding their fans for traveling the road along with them.

I'm as spoiled as anyone else about national championships. But if this team plays a couple of more games or so and goes as far as they can (and there may well be a wall they're going to smash up against and it may look a little ugly), I've certainly got my money's worth.

Reaction Score
Only 9 turnovers with 4 freshmen playing a total 132 minutes. They had 3 of the 9 TOs
We have lots of pairs of great hands with glue on the fingertips, that helps. IMO, I would note the player anticipation and shut down double teams we often employ in the defensive half court. This will expand as our bench depth grows. Our quickness is off the charts. We are freshmen no more! Defense wins and we have it. This team likes to play defense, you can see the sly smiles on their face. WOW.

This team, of under classmen, has logged serious minutes. We play like a seasoned team on defense and with rhythm coaching on making layups with be a tough out in future games. The double post of Edwards and Ice will provide a major edge in early NCAA games. We are growing the brand. Watch out!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Interesting observation from the last two games with lineup #7. The running average of PPG dropped a bit over the last 5 games, which makes sense for the last 2.5, as we were without Liya. This is entirely unscientific, however the running average of points against and point differential per game is still trending downward, starting at game #25, and it tells me, in my DST sleep deprived and uncaffeinated state, is that our defense has locked in, just in time for the big dance.

1710246615553.jpeg

Reaction Score
Geno, has done an amazing Job with this team. Paige took the leader of the pack mind set all three games and everyone else fell in line. Defense and Rebounding was insane. Ice Ice Brady. So impressed with her. Playing 40 minutes and Staying out of foul trouble while playing quality post defense. 3 freshman playing huge roles in their first ever Big East tournament means sky the limit for UConn's future. Let's Gooooo!
Maybe I'm wrong, but this is Geno's finest hour. He took a desperately crippled team saddled with loss of their Bigs and rearranged the players remaining into a defensive and offensive juggernaut! Tell me he does not deserve COY, c'mon, tell me....

Reaction Score
The Georgetown kids played tough, but not dirty. They have a lot to be proud of—I really appreciated Paige and Azzi seeking out that poor kid who blew out her knee vs. Creighton. 2 programs with a lot of class.
I absolutely loved that. It showed total class. Paige and Azzi know how it feels to be injured, sitting on the bench, watching teammates struggle in a game, and that they sought out an injured opponent to offer support and encouragement is just the epitome of sportsmanship. What great people they are.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting observation from the last two games with lineup #7. The running average of PPG dropped a bit over the last 5 games, which makes sense for the last 2.5, as we were without Liya. This is entirely unscientific, however the running average of points against and point differential per game is still trending downward, starting at game #25, and it tells me, in my DST sleep deprived and uncaffeinated state, is that our defense has locked in, just in time for the big dance.

View attachment 97553
No doubt UConn’s defense is locked in. But there are other factors that contribute to scoring by an opponent.

One of the factors in “points against” is how a team runs their offense. Geno likes to run an up tempo, transition offense. Without Aaliyah, UConn is sending everyone to the boards, leaking nobody out on the break. In addition, with only 7 healthy bodies, UConn’s offense is extremely deliberate.

Slower offense = fewer possessions = fewer shots = fewer points scored. If you ever watched Pete Carrill’s Princeton teams run their methodical offense back in the 60’s & 70’s, before the existence of the shot clock, you would know why Princeton routinely led the NCAA in defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom