UConn game vs UC Davis was not "embarrassing" or "boring".... | The Boneyard

UConn game vs UC Davis was not "embarrassing" or "boring"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
uconn players.jpeg

For those of you keeping score at home, it took just 1 hour & 21 minutes for the whiners and "Blowouts aren't fun" crowd to register their first complaint of the season on the Boneyard game thread. "This is embarrassing.." they wailed, apparently oblivious to the record setting play of Kaleena and the rest of the Huskies. For Tony C., Kib, Ice and the rest of us, it was a magical night of UConn basketball played Geno's way, unselfishly & full throttle. ;)

Here's what captured & kept our attention, all night, while UConn thrashed UC Davis 102-43:

1. Kaleena, inspired by two dozen family & friends in the crowd, buried 10 three point shots in just 24 minutes of play. The native of California tied the great Maya Moore's record for most 3 pt baskets in a single game set in 2009. Her 77% shooting for 3 pt attempts & 30 points were both career highs. :)

2. Led by KML, Stewie & MoJeff & Saniya added 8 more three point baskets to tie the UConn team record for most 3's in a single game at 18. Stewie made 1 of 2 threes, while Moriah & Saniya combined to go 7-8. For the game, UConn shot 64.3% from the 3 pt arc.

3. After the first media timeout, Geno gave fans a glimpse into the future of UConn basketball by substituting Kia Nurse for Chong. Nurse, playing like a three year veteran, promptly scored 8 pts in the next six minutes, shooting 3-3 from the field and 2-2 on free throws. Nurse added 6 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in 21 minutes of solid play. The future is now. :cool:

4. Saniya Chong answered Kia's challenge with her own great game, scoring 12 points on 80% shooting, grabbing 5 rebounds, dealing 2 assists and blocking 1 shot. And like she almost always does, Saniya had 0 turnovers in her 22 minutes of action. :D

5. To everyone's delight, Morgan Tuck played early & often, logging 21 minutes on her surgically repaired knee. Wearing a brace, but showing no hesitation, Tuck scored 10 pts, grabbed 4 rebounds and assisted 7 times. Welcome back, Morgan.

6. Stewie, playing like Stewie, had a typical 15 pts, 6 rebound, 3 steals and 1 block night. Oh yeah, she also set a personal best with 7 assists. Another record for the night. :p

7. During a period covering 15 minutes and 43 seconds of the 1st & 2nd half, UConn outscored UC Davis 39-0. John A. speculated on twitter that might be a NCAA record, and probably is a UConn record. :rolleyes:

8. Kiah Stokes took a great step toward replacing Stef Dolson with seven points, seven rebounds & 3 blocks during 20 minutes play. Kiah looked comfortable & confident controlling the lane & finished with no fouls and 0 turnovers.

9. UConn passed the ball incredibly well, with 29 assists on 38 baskets (76.3%). They protected the ball just as well, with only 8 turnovers in 40 minutes. They had 13 steals, 6 blocked shots & 45 rebounds while committing just 12 personal fouls.

10. UConn had 11 of their 12 players contribute a point, rebound, steal, or assist in the victory. They held UC Davis to 20 points in the 1st half and just 23 more in the 2nd. A team effort on record making opening night.

One more thing, attendance for the game was 4,712 breaking The Pavilion record set in 1999. Embarrassing? No way. Boring? Not a chance. UConn won its 47th straight game in record fashion and set the stage for another classic match against Stanford on Monday.

Go Huskies..!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've been waiting for your post-game post, David. You did not disappoint. Well done.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
View attachment 7553

One more thing, attendance for the game was 4,712 breaking The Pavilion record set in 1999. Embarrassing? No way. Boring? Not a chance. UConn won its 47th straight game in record fashion and set the stage for another classic match against Stanford on Monday.

Go Huskies..!!

We were at the game and it was anything but dull. The crowd was great and hardly anyone left early. The student section was boisterous and cheered every Davis basket right to the end of the game. Both teams played hard and no one paid any attention to the score. It was a lot of fun and very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Opening games generally display imperfection. We're remembering the end of the well oiled previous season and are disappointed but accepting of the rust we know will be shaken off as the season progresses. However, I can't remember a better opening game played by the Huskies. The opposition was competent and put up a good offense and competent defense. But UConn played as though they were in mid-season form. Ball movement was excellent, the freshmen were confident and did well facing an away crowd for their first game that counts. The team exceeded our already lofty expectations.

Instead of coming away with thoughts of what needs improvement, what comes to mind is compassion for teams unlucky enough to have UConn on their schedule this year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I echo Cat's Rocket's and Milford's sentiment. Wonderful post and point well made!!

Reaction Score
View attachment 7553

For those of you keeping score at home, it took just 1 hour & 21 minutes for the whiners and "Blowouts aren't fun" crowd to register their first complaint of the season on the Boneyard game thread. "This is embarrassing.." they wailed, apparently oblivious to the record setting play of Kaleena and the rest of the Huskies. For Tony C., Kib, Ice and the rest of us, it was a magical night of UConn basketball played Geno's way, unselfishly & full throttle. ;)

Here's what captured & kept our attention, all night, while UConn thrashed UC Davis 102-43:

1. Kaleena, inspired by two dozen family & friends in the crowd, buried 10 three point shots in just 24 minutes of play. The native of California tied the great Maya Moore's record for most 3 pt baskets in a single game set in 2009. Her 77% shooting for 3 pt attempts & 30 points were both career highs. :)

2. Led by KML, Stewie & MoJeff & Saniya added 8 more three point baskets to tie the UConn team record for most 3's in a single game at 18. Stewie made 1 of 2 threes, while Moriah & Saniya combined to go 7-8. For the game, UConn shot 64.3% from the 3 pt arc.

3. After the first media timeout, Geno gave fans a glimpse into the future of UConn basketball by substituting Kia Nurse for Chong. Nurse, playing like a three year veteran, promptly scored 8 pts in the next six minutes, shooting 3-3 from the field and 2-2 on free throws. Nurse added 6 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in 21 minutes of solid play. The future is now. :cool:

4. Saniya Chong answered Kia's challenge with her own great game, scoring 12 points on 80% shooting, grabbing 5 rebounds, dealing 2 assists and blocking 1 shot. And like she almost always does, Saniya had 0 turnovers in her 22 minutes of action. :D

5. To everyone's delight, Morgan Tuck played early & often, logging 21 minutes on her surgically repaired knee. Wearing a brace, but showing no hesitation, Tuck scored 10 pts, grabbed 4 rebounds and assisted 7 times. Welcome back, Morgan.

6. Stewie, playing like Stewie, had a typical 15 pts, 6 rebound, 3 steals and 1 block night. Oh yeah, she also set a personal best with 7 assists. Another record for the night. :p

7. During a period covering 15 minutes and 43 seconds of the 1st & 2nd half, UConn outscored UC Davis 39-0. John A. speculated on twitter that might be a NCAA record, and probably is a UConn record. :rolleyes:

8. Kiah Stokes took a great step toward replacing Stef Dolson with seven points, seven rebounds & 3 blocks during 20 minutes play. Kiah looked comfortable & confident controlling the lane & finished with no fouls and 0 turnovers.

9. UConn passed the ball incredibly well, with 29 assists on 38 baskets (76.3%). They protected the ball just as well, with only 8 turnovers in 40 minutes. They had 13 steals, 6 blocked shots & 45 rebounds while committing just 12 personal fouls.

10. UConn had 11 of their 12 players contribute a point, rebound, steal, or assist in the victory. They held UC Davis to 20 points in the 1st half and just 23 more in the 2nd. A team effort on record making opening night.

Go Huskies..!!

Sure, but what color was Geno's tie? That omission aside, fantastic work, D.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
We were at the game and it was anything but dull. The crowd was great and hardly anyone left early. The student section was boisterous and cheered every Davis basket right to the end of the game. Both teams played hard and no one paid any attention to the score. It was a lot of fun and very entertaining.
Agreed. I was there and the UC Davis crowd was still going nuts for every hoop even when they were down 60. It was an excellent environment and a lot of fun. Literally no one left even though the outcome was determined about 3 minutes in to the game. I'm really glad we made the drive down from Reno for the game.

Reaction Score
It is embarrassing, however, to misspell embarrassing (lol).

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I watched vis ESPN3. Beautiful game. But credit to UC-Davis for never giving up, and for the first part of the game, staying pretty close to us. They weren't too shabby with their 3-point shooting in the first half until I think they started running out of gas!

Reaction Score
It is embarrassing, however, to misspell embarrassing (lol).

Danger, Will Robinson! Don't go there! I did and got slaughtered for my attempted humor (sorry again tonyc). Spelling and grammar is sacrosanct.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I was impressed with UC Davis. Clearly, not close to our talent level, but they never ever ever bowed their heads. Liked their passing. Liked their threes at the beginning. Looking forward to following them this season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I must have missed the posts that talked about the game being boring or embarrassing. I have news for those fans - don't watch the games. I find every UCONN game exciting and fun to watch - seeing incredible offense, passing, teamwork, etc etc always makes me happy.

Reaction Score
I agree. UCONN plays beautiful basketball. It is important for teams to play as intensely as they can for as long as they can in order for the bar to raise. Otherwise it is competitive mediocrity.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nobody ever said it was boring to watch Rembrandt paint or to listen to Pavorotti sing.

Feel free to substitute the names of your favorites, be they Andy Warhol or Ray Charles or any other iconic artist.

Viewing perfection ain't boring.

Or embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
Nobody ever said it was boring to watch Rembrandt paint or to listen to Pavorotti sing.

Feel free to substitute the names of your favorites, be they Andy Warhol or Ray Charles or any other iconic artist.

Viewing perfection ain't boring.

Or embarrassing.

However watching the paint Rembrandt applied to canvas lacked the excitement of the actual act of his painting. Just saying. ..

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The ncaa would rule that an infraction
Not if the arrangements are handled by a patriotic Husky SuperPac group who are just concerned with the family's well-being. Plus sending a fairly beefy rep to Emmert to mention that we have some shocking videos of his college year behavior that would provide great fun on Youtube. And even if we don't, you know that Biff can cook up some good ones if needed.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
However watching the paint Rembrandt applied to canvas lacked the excitement of the actual act of his painting. Just saying. ..

OK, maybe not exciting but amazing. The paint Rembrandt used to create his masterpieces was not purchased online and squished from a toothpaste-type tube. He had to actually grind up some berries or natural growth to create the various colors.

I actually did get excited years ago when I looked closely at a self portrait he had done. Showed him at an easel with a table at his side. On the table were some seashells. When the lightbulb went off, I realized that those seashells contained his palette of colored paints!

Rembrandt. Genius. Just like Stewie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just one little minor correction - Kaleena did not set a new personal best for points in a game - she had 32 once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom