UCONN FOOTBALL: Warde Manuel has faith Huskies can fix mistakes, turn things around (videos) | The Boneyard

UCONN FOOTBALL: Warde Manuel has faith Huskies can fix mistakes, turn things around (videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
God, I hope he's just saying that because he has to support everyone during the season, and not because he really believes it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
God, I hope he's just saying that because he has to support everyone during the season, and not because he really believes it.

Better than saying "Paul will be here next year."

Reaction Score
Maybe if I spent more time at the upbeat practices I'd feel more - upbeat?

Reaction Score
Best part of Warde's comments is that he was supportive yet vague. Never gave an endorsement, emphasized winning, and did put some blame on both the coaches and the players. Nothing in his comments lends any credence to what the horde has been spouting lately, so where that's coming from is beyond me. More than anything, I think they just don't like working harder at their jobs.

This gives me real hope that we will see changes come season end...

Reaction Score
"All I know is every night when I put that head down on my pillow, I know we have done for that day all we can do."

This is a problem.
I really think he believes this.
If this is all they can do....then we need someone who can DO MORE !
OR DO BETTER
OR DO SOMETHING FRIGGIN PRODUCTIVE AT ALL

I cant imagine how he thinks this stuff, and then thinks its appropriate to say it out loud....to a reporter no less.

Reaction Score
This is a problem.
I really think he believes this.
If this is all they can do....then we need someone who can DO MORE !
OR DO BETTER
OR DO SOMETHING FRIGGIN PRODUCTIVE AT ALL

I cant imagine how he thinks this stuff, and then thinks its appropriate to say it out loud....to a reporter no less.

Because it puts word on a page and takes up time in the interview. Maybe dead silence would be better.

Reaction Score
What he meant to say:

"The fact of the matter is I've been at practice and have seen how dispirited the team is. I see experienced coaches unable to impart their technical coaching acumen and adjust it to the talent on this team. Watching the games as I do has exposed a dearth of innovation, and our predictability is allowing opponents to make halftime adjustments and completely shut our offense down after the band has played. I trust the coaches all understand that I hate to lose, and our fans deserve better. Make no mistake, the final games of this season will go a long way in deciding the fate of this coaching staff and where we want this program to be."

Reaction Score
Warde must be blind if he did not see the program downward trajectory!!!! Leave the BB program and KO alone, fix the FB program !!!!

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Warde is not ready for the bigtime.

Disagree. I see him watching, and encouraging, able to analyze but not be rash.

Marry in haste, repent in leisure...

I feel that he has a direction in mind, and I will side with the group that guesses waits and makes changes at the end of the season.

I like the way that he dealt with the KO situation. He was forced into a corner, so he doubled down. KO is not interim, and no one will be able to use the interim title against him on the court or the living room of a recruit. Stuck with a tough situation, he gives a fair chance and allows it to play out.

Sadly, it's like a TV drama, we must watch all season to see the next episode as it unfolds.

Reaction Score
If he changes his mind, this article makes him look like a waffler.

Coach P has taken the program in a clear direction. Backwards. This isn't a matter of debate.

I think Warde just doesn't want to make three huge decisions in year one. Well, guess what. Sometimes an AD has to do that. This ain't Buffalo.

Disagree. I see him watching, and encouraging, able to analyze but not be rash.

Marry in haste, repent in leisure...

I feel that he has a direction in mind, and I will side with the group that guesses waits and makes changes at the end of the season.

I like the way that he dealt with the KO situation. He was forced into a corner, so he doubled down. KO is not interim, and no one will be able to use the interim title against him on the court or the living room of a recruit. Stuck with a tough situation, he gives a fair chance and allows it to play out.

Sadly, it's like a TV drama, we must watch all season to see the next episode as it unfolds.

Reaction Score
Because he's not publicly bashing his staff just to appease a frustrated fan base? I'd be more concerned if he was trashing someone on his staff to the media.

He should be non-committal. Talking to the media about this is no win for him at the moment.

Reaction Score
He should be non-committal. Talking to the media about this is no win for him at the moment.
True, but in his spot you are going to be in a position to answer a question from the media when you really would rather not. Given the circumstances, i thought his response was spot on. He was non-committal but still supportive of the kids. There was no endorsement for or against P and staff, just "keep working hard, trying to win" etc....For me, personally, the last thing I want is to see is this play out in the media anymore than absolutely necessary. I'm giving the guy (Manuel) the benefit of the doubt here until he makes a decision on GDL and PP after the season before declaring he is or isn't ready for big time.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It sounds like the only job criteria for PP is that the kids keep playing hard. Something that wasn't clearly apparent during the Cuse game.

Reaction Score
I don't read much into WM's comments. All I get from it is that he takes a diplomatic approach when it comes to PR instead of a direct one like Tom Jurich.

Reaction Score
In this part of the country AD's get their marching orders from Presidents. No question about that here.

Reaction Score
Your reaction leads me to believe that you didn't think he'd say that. What did you want him to say? That is exactly how I would've phrased it if I were in his position.

No, I have no issue with what he said is he said it because he had to. I have been very clear that I don't think he owed the fanbase red meat in the middle of the season. I am fine that he said it. So long as he doesn't believe it and he's just being responsible to the team until the season is over.

C

Chief00

So at this point , the best defense of the AD quotes is he did not mean what he said - sad that its come to that - but I understand. We are not in a good place. Quite frankly, it is good to have an interest in the team but if he is spending time at practice on a daily basis - he is in the wrong job. He should be spending his time preparing to hire the next football coach.

Reaction Score
So at this point , the best defense of the AD quotes is he did not mean what he said - sad that its come to that - but I understand. We are not in a good place. Quite frankly, it is good to have an interest in the team but if he is spending time at practice on a daily basis - he is in the wrong job. He should be spending his time preparing to hire the next football coach.

Nope - time would be best spent working on future scheduling.

IMHO - I think Warde is not letting PP and GDL up but he sees the same things they see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom