UCONN Football Success 2007-Present | The Boneyard

UCONN Football Success 2007-Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Came across these following tweets and, I admit, that I was impressed to see some of this. So I thought these deserved its own thread, since we have quite a few B1G/ACC lurkers here that probably don't much about our football program.

Good job Matt Schonivisky for putting these together!

Matt Schonvisky @MattSchonvisky · 2h
@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee & Vanderbilt of the SEC #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Cal, Colorado, UCLA, Washington & Washington State of the Pac-12 #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota & Purdue of the B1G and Iowa State & Kansas of the Big XII #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Duke, Maryland, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia & Wake Forest of the #ACC #BleedBlue #UCONN

@UCONNFootball has more players in the NFL than Auburn, Baylor, K State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Washington

@UConnFootball ranked 33rd in the nation with 19 players on current NFL rosters prior to April draft #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball recruiting rankings performed 40 spots higher than star rankings show #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp http://the-boneyard.com/blog/football-talent-is-not-all-in-the-stars/…

Reaction Score
Came across these following tweets and, I admit, that I was impressed to see some of this. So I thought these deserved its own thread, since we have quite a few B1G/ACC lurkers here that probably don't much about our football program.

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee & Vanderbilt of the SEC #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Cal, Colorado, UCLA, Washington & Washington State of the Pac-12 #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota & Purdue of the B1G and Iowa State & Kansas of the Big XII #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Duke, Maryland, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia & Wake Forest of the #ACC #BleedBlue #UCONN

@UCONNFootball has more players in the NFL than Auburn, Baylor, K State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Washington

@UConnFootball ranked 33rd in the nation with 19 players on current NFL rosters prior to April draft #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball recruiting rankings performed 40 spots higher than star rankings show #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp http://the-boneyard.com/blog/football-talent-is-not-all-in-the-stars/…

The stat of who UConn has more players in the NFL than, is the most telling. Good job Matt.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The stat of who UConn has more players in the NFL than, is the most telling. Good job Matt.

Yeah, I know. I knew we had more NFL guys than Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and BC but I didn't know that we had more than Auburn, Michigan State, Baylor and K-State. The only reason I knew about Oklahoma State was because of the fun I had with okielite a while ago.

A good line for the ol' recruiting star rankings debate is that our recruiting classes performed 40 spots higher than star rankings. Just more proof that the star ranking system is a sham and should carry absolutely no weight.

Reaction Score

Every time something like this appears, my normally good blood pressure goes skyward. This type of information has been available, for both UCONN and the old Big East Conference, since (and probably before) UCONN upgraded. There were of years when the BE ranked no worse than fourth among the BCS conferences in the relevant computer rankings. A secret known only to the BY. Once UCONN, starting from zilch, beat BIG-10, SEC, and Big-12 teams on the road. Beat ND, on the road. Beat South Carolina, on the road, in a Bowl, in the middle of Confederacy/SEC. Turns out, we were the only ones keeping track.

That UCONN, specifically, and the BE in general did not take advantage of available positive, hard data to make a case with the eastern media drove me to distraction. If UCONN had blown its own horn during its successful climb, it might have been perceived differently. I kept waiting for one person, with the appropriate amount of "juice," to tell those in power that the world wasn't listening and that the message had to be louder. Once, quietly collecting pelts on the lodge pole was all that was needed to get noticed. Gentility, good form, don't brag? No Longer works. I'm sorry.

Being beaten in the CR game is frustrating enough. Being beaten by better promotion by, at least one institution of lessor substance, should drive those pre-dating Susan and Warde to the front of the firing squad queue. In this day and age, if you're really good (or somewhat less than good), you've got to shout it out; lest you be thought of as nothing before or after 5-7, 5-7, 3-9. PP/GDL screwed up royally. However, they had nothing to do the lack of promotion during the RE years.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Every time something like this appears, my normally good blood pressure goes skyward. This type of information has been available, for both UCONN and the old Big East Conference, since (and probably before) UCONN upgraded. There were of years when the BE ranked no worse than fourth among the BCS conferences in the relevant computer rankings. A secret known only to the BY. Once UCONN, starting from zilch, beat BIG-10, SEC, and Big-12 teams on the road. Beat ND, on the road. Beat South Carolina, on the road, in a Bowl, in the middle of Confederacy/SEC. Turns out, we were the only ones keeping track.

That UCONN, specifically, and the BE in general did not take advantage of available positive, hard data to make a case with the eastern media drove me to distraction. If UCONN had blown its own horn during its successful climb, it might have been perceived differently. I kept waiting for one person, with the appropriate amount of "juice," to tell those in power that the world wasn't listening and that the message had to be louder. Once, quietly collecting pelts on the lodge pole was all that was needed to get noticed. Gentility, good form, don't brag? No Longer works. I'm sorry.

Being beaten in the CR game is frustrating enough. Being beaten by better promotion by, at least one institution of lessor substance, should drive those pre-dating Susan and Warde to the front of the firing squad queue. In this day and age, if you're really good (or somewhat less than good), you've got to shout it out; lest you be thought of as nothing before or after 5-7, 5-7, 3-9. PP/GDL screwed up royally. However, they had nothing to do the lack of promotion during the RE years.

This is why I pin our current conference predicament squarely on Jeff Hathaway's shoulders. In his tenure, he had the quickest rising football program in the country with consistent bowl games and a BCS bowl game. He also had a sold-out Rentschler Field more often than not that was in need of an expansion for a P5 invite. He had two national championship basketball programs but no on-campus facility for them. APR happened on his watch. Hockey had been rumored for years and it made sense since Connecticut has produced a great deal of NHL caliber talent through the years...but nothing. Worst of all, he completely botched the Pasqualoni hire (despite EVERYONE in CT against it...save a few high school coaches) that led to declining attendance, W/L records, and donations from big boosters. If Hathaway had just one progressive thought to build upon UCONN's success instead of sitting on our laurels with a "this is good enough" attitude, we would be in the B1G or ACC right now. I agree with you, it's sad that UCONN is so late to the social media PR game that other schools were playing years ago. But that said, I'm happy that they have the right people in place now and it appears that the right decisions (and PR) are being done now.

Reaction Score

Excellent post! Aside from the wins, the NFL information is a great recruiting draw.
I would be interested in seeing where UCONN ranks regarding media exposure compared to other P5's.

Reaction Score
This is one of the better posts I've seen in awhile. I live in Big 12 country and will hang these facts at work once college football season starts.

Reaction Score
This is one of the better posts I've seen in awhile. I live in Big 12 country and will hang these facts at work once college football season starts.

Reaction Score
Dooley your great post reminded me of when I used to battle for UCONN and the Big East in Andrea Adelson's ESPN Blog. During the tear down of the Big East it was a great place to rant and vent during all the conference realignment days. It got pretty confrontational. Especially when it came to obnoxious Syracuse fans:
Here are a couple of my posts from MARCH 2012

I agree with Andrea's comments in this message. I don't always agree but a lot of the negative stuff is more about perception than reality. College football is all about tradition and folk lore. Long time fans have a hard time putting their arms around newbies. Take Syracuse for example, Orange fans get all caught up in stories of Jim Brown, Larry Csonka and Ernie Davis (Elmira Express) and more recently Donovan McNabb, which are no doubt historical greats but Syracuse has been lousy for the past 8 years. They seem to have fallen and can't get up and they blame everyone but themselves. Somebody in the Syracuse organization made a decision to fire Paul Pasqualoni and hire Greg Robinson. I think they have a good coach in Doug Marrone but they seem to be struggling under him as well. They make all kinds of excuses and most of the time blame the Big East for their failures. Like everything is going to be great now that they are going ACC! That is why I call them Syraexcuse!
UCONN only in Divsion 1A for 9 years and we have gone to 5 bowls including the Fiesta bowl. Rutgers, USF, Louisville and Cincinnati have also experienced good things. Big East needs some good PR!

1 2004 Motor City Bowl W 39–10 Toledo Rockets
2 2007 Meineke Car Care Bowl L 24–10 Wake Forest Demon Deacons
3 2008 International Bowl W 38–20 Buffalo Bulls
4 2009 PapaJohns.com Bowl W 20–7 South Carolina Gamecocks
5 2010 Fiesta Bowl L 48–20 Oklahoma Sooners

I am tired of UCONN and the rest of the league getting puked on all of the time. We will see how UCONN does against NC State and Maryland in September. We beat Syracuse almost every year.
6 fans like this.
May 11 2012, 1:15 PM Here's another one1

Some guy named Danny said this:

The Big East should just sell the conference, its awful.

I went by White Dog777 and replied..

Tell me Danny boy, why is the Big East is so awful? Is it Temple beating Wyoming 37-15 in the New Mexico Bowl awful? Boise State beating Arizona State 56-24 in the Las Vegas bowl awful? Louisville with a young team loosing to NC State in a close one 31-24 in the Belk bowl awful?Rutgers beating Iowa State 27-13 in the Pinstripe bowl awful? Cincinnati beating Vanderbilt 31-24 in the Liberty Bowl awful? Houston beating Penn State 20-14 in the Ticket City Bowl awful? or SMU beating Pitt 28-6 in the BBVA Compass bowl awful? I won't even count WVA's 70-33 thumping of Clemson in the Orange bowl. Now Danny, which game would you describe as the most awful to you? In Basketball is it the 16 Final Four appearances and six NCAA Championships (UConn with three, Villanova with two, and Georgetown, and Syracuse, with one each). Of the Big East's 16 full members, all but South Florida have been to the Final Four, the most of any conference awful? Or is it the fact that in 2011, the Big East set the record for the most teams sent to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship by a single conference with eleven out of their sixteen teams qualifying awful? Do your homework Danny before you mess with the White Dog!
7 fans like this.

Reaction Score
Dooley your great post reminded me of when I used to battle for UCONN and the Big East in Andrea Adelson's ESPN Blog. During the tear down of the Big East it was a great place to rant and vent during all the conference realignment days. It got pretty confrontational. Especially when it came to obnoxious Syracuse fans:

I agree with Andrea's comments in this message. I don't always agree but a lot of the negative stuff is more about perception than reality. College football is all about tradition and folk lore. Long time fans have a hard time putting their arms around newbies. Take Syracuse for example, Orange fans get all caught up in stories of Jim Brown, Larry Csonka and Ernie Davis (Elmira Express) and more recently Donovan McNabb, which are no doubt historical greats but Syracuse has been lousy for the past 8 years. They seem to have fallen and can't get up and they blame everyone but themselves. Somebody in the Syracuse organization made a decision to fire Paul Pasqualoni and hire Greg Robinson. I think they have a good coach in Doug Marrone but they seem to be struggling under him as well. They make all kinds of excuses and most of the time blame the Big East for their failures. Like everything is going to be great now that they are going ACC! That is why I call them Syraexcuse!
UCONN only in Divsion 1A for 9 years and we have gone to 5 bowls including the Fiesta bowl. Rutgers, USF, Louisville and Cincinnati have also experienced good things. Big East needs some good PR!

I am tired of UCONN and the rest of the league getting puked on all of the time. We will see how UCONN does against NC State and Maryland in September. We beat Syracuse almost every year.
6 fans like this.

Tell me Danny boy, why is the Big East is so awful? Is it Temple beating Wyoming 37-15 in the New Mexico Bowl awful? Boise State beating Arizona State 56-24 in the Las Vegas bowl awful? Louisville with a young team loosing to NC State in a close one 31-24 in the Belk bowl awful?Rutgers beating Iowa State 27-13 in the Pinstripe bowl awful? Cincinnati beating Vanderbilt 31-24 in the Liberty Bowl awful? Houston beating Penn State 20-14 in the Ticket City Bowl awful? or SMU beating Pitt 28-6 in the BBVA Compass bowl awful? I won't even count WVA's 70-33 thumping of Clemson in the Orange bowl. Now Danny, which game would you describe as the most awful to you? In Basketball is it the 16 Final Four appearances and six NCAA Championships (UConn with three, Villanova with two, and Georgetown, and Syracuse, with one each). Of the Big East's 16 full members, all but South Florida have been to the Final Four, the most of any conference awful? Or is it the fact that in 2011, the Big East set the record for the most teams sent to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship by a single conference with eleven out of their sixteen teams qualifying awful? Do your homework Danny before you mess with the White Dog!
7 fans like this.

I, too, used to defend the Big East and UConn constantly on the ESPN blog. It could get exhausting at times, especially with Brian Bennett and Andrea Adelson constantly cr apping on UConn. I'll never forget that article that BB wrote right after UConn won it's way into the Fiesta Bowl. The one were BB basically said UConn had no right to be in the bowl game because West Virginia was such a better team blah blah blah. That was really the beginning of the end for me and ESPN in general. If UConn wasn't on ESPN come football season, I'd literally have no reason to watch that god awful channel with their terrible broadcasters outside of the occasional Monday night football and baseball game during the summer.

Let me guess the reseponse to that comment you made. It probably was like "Well UConn is a basketball school talk to me when you play football". That seemed to be the go to phrase for anyone, especially when you would point out the abyssmal 2-13 BCS bowls games for the ACC at the time.

Reaction Score
I, too, used to defend the Big East and UConn constantly on the ESPN blog. It could get exhausting at times, especially with Brian Bennett and Andrea Adelson constantly cr apping on UConn. I'll never forget that article that BB wrote right after UConn won it's way into the Fiesta Bowl. The one were BB basically said UConn had no right to be in the bowl game because West Virginia was such a better team blah blah blah. That was really the beginning of the end for me and ESPN in general. If UConn wasn't on ESPN come football season, I'd literally have no reason to watch that god awful channel with their terrible broadcasters outside of the occasional Monday night football and baseball game during the summer.

Let me guess the reseponse to that comment you made. It probably was like "Well UConn is a basketball school talk to me when you play football". That seemed to be the go to phrase for anyone, especially when you would point out the abyssmal 2-13 BCS bowls games for the ACC at the time.

I just couldn't get over all the negative people slamming the coffin shut on UCONN and the Big East (now AAC)! I know everyone wants in to a P5 conference but what Mike Aresco, Warde Manual, the remaining Big East teams, the CUSA teams, etc. have done is pretty impressive. This conference could have rolled over and died but it didn't!

Reaction Score
I just couldn't get over all the negative people slamming the coffin shut on UCONN and the Big East (now AAC)! I know everyone wants in to a P5 conference but what Mike Aresco, Warde Manual, the remaining Big East teams, the CUSA teams, etc. have done is pretty impressive. This conference could have rolled over and died but it didn't!

I honestly think the AAC as is with the new members joining this year and Navy next year, is better that the Big East post 2004 ACC raid. I believe that this conference can/should/will impress and turn some heads this year. I've been a proponent to getting into the Big 10, since the Big 12 took West Virginia. A lot of people called me crazy because it made no sense to for UConn to be in an other conference, but the ACC. That being said though, I'm still pretty excited about being in the AAC. Obviously it's not going to be SEC football, but there's no reason why this conference can't be as or more entertaining than say the ACC, Big 12 or the Pac 12. We may not be in a P5 conference, but we are by far in the best of the G5 conferences. I mean we are undefeated as a conference in BCS bowl games :)

But for as long as UConn is in the conference, I will defend it until I go blue in the face.

Reaction Score
The NFL numbers are impressive but Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee & Vanderbilt play in the SEC. Wins are hard to come by there.

Dooley

Reaction Score

6 fans like this.

7 fans like this.

I, too, used to frequent the ESPiN boards a few years ago. There was one Fruit fan moron...I think his name was saltine...that ALWAYS went out of his way to post negative UCONN stuff. It was like UCONN personally p1ssed in his Cheerios each and every morning. But it was ALWAYS the same "50 years ago" drivel that he would point to as to why a 4 win Fruit team was better than a bowl bound UCONN team. I hung up my ESPiN viewing glasses quickly after the Fiesta Bowl too after each and every article about UCONN was negative and arguing that WVU should have been in the game instead. That's when I came here and never looked back.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I hate the fact that the World Cup is on ESPiN. I do a great job of avoiding that channel(s) and hate it when I'm forced to watch. The "SportsCenter" between World Cup games always remind me why I don't bother with that awful network anymore. Lebron James this. Lebron James that. Why? Because ESPiN owns the NBA contract. They stopped being a news agency decades ago and when they decided to take a side against UCONN, they lost me.

Reaction Score

Morons in Providence.

Reaction Score
I hate the fact that the World Cup is on ESPiN. I do a great job of avoiding that channel(s) and hate it when I'm forced to watch. The "SportsCenter" between World Cup games always remind me why I don't bother with that awful network anymore. Lebron James this. Lebron James that. Why? Because ESPiN owns the NBA contract. They stopped being a news agency decades ago and when they decided to take a side against UCONN, they lost me.

I have a lot of friends out of state and all of them have asked me many times how a TV channel based in CT can so blatantly ignore and practically conspire against UConn. The only person I even remotely respect on ESPiN is Chris Berman (or however you spell his name). He legitimately seems to be the only genuine sports caster on the entire network. Everyone else is just some one to look at (Michelle Beadle) or is there just to stir the pot with nonsensicle, almost idiotic dribble (Skip Bayless, Steven A, Colin Cowherd). It kills me that the World Cup is on ESPN also. All I know is I definitely died a little when NBC decided to low ball the AAC and we got stuck with a "better" contract with ESPN.

Reaction Score
I, too, used to frequent the ESPiN boards a few years ago. There was one Fruit fan moron...I think his name was saltine...that ALWAYS went out of his way to post negative UCONN stuff. It was like UCONN personally p1ssed in his Cheerios each and every morning. But it was ALWAYS the same "50 years ago" drivel that he would point to as to why a 4 win Fruit team was better than a bowl bound UCONN team. I hung up my ESPiN viewing glasses quickly after the Fiesta Bowl too after each and every article about UCONN was negative and arguing that WVU should have been in the game instead. That's when I came here and never looked back.

We are true UCONN fans. Feels good to have gone through this journey/battle following them and see so much hope for the future. UCONN is going to be Okay!

Reaction Score
I have a lot of friends out of state and all of them have asked me many times how a TV channel based in CT can so blatantly ignore and practically conspire against UConn. The only person I even remotely respect on ESPiN is Chris Berman (or however you spell his name). He legitimately seems to be the only genuine sports caster on the entire network. Everyone else is just some one to look at (Michelle Beadle) or is there just to stir the pot with nonsensicle, almost idiotic dribble (Skip Bayless, Steven A, Colin Cowherd). It kills me that the World Cup is on ESPN also. All I know is I definitely died a little when NBC decided to low ball the AAC and we got stuck with a "better" contract with ESPN.

Yeah that was pretty disappointing. I was rooting for a big NBC contract at the time but in retrospect and in spite of how ESPN screwed the Big East and is ambivalent towards the American, the ESPn exposure is good for the American.
http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2013/07/ESPNAntiAmerican.html

Reaction Score

I remember saltine. Never wanted to punch someone more in the face than that guy. But he was not as bad as the guy everyone knew as Rick. He was the biggest fruity troll on there.

Reaction Score
We are true UCONN fans. Feels good to have gone through this journey/battle following them and see so much hope for the future. UCONN is going to be Okay!

The only I regret with my support of this team was not getting season tickets the last two seasons. Granted it was more of a "there's no way in hell I can afford these tickets" decision. Kills me to this day that I couldn't be there for Michigan. :( I will not let that happen again.

Reaction Score
The Big East was all about the names but when you look at football

Is WVU that much more impressive than UCF?
Syracuse than Houston?
PITT than ECU?
RU than SMU?

Yes some loses hurt but from a performance viewpoint there shouldn't be much of a dropoff. Unless the recruits stop...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32