UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football player accused of Sex Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's not baffling at all. People who are the victims of physical and/or psychological trauma don't always act logically.

Agreed. However, assuming she told friends or relatives about this, seems they are the ones who should have assisted her to seek treatment. Of course, that can't happen if you don't tell anyone, which is understandable as well for a victim.

Reaction Score
So it's OK to highly publicize a claim of rape and bring in Allred even if it's not true just to further the cause? Ends justify the means? Wow

Dude this is the Internet. Don't just provide links and make people wade through stuff. You can pull out the bullet points.

I bet it's not "irrelevant" to the player whose name will eventually become known (if it's not already in the UConn campus social media world). And you still haven't said what leads you to believe UConn has not investigated the cop for the alleged insensitive statements.

Why are you so incensed about publicity? This is what it takes to get these schools to act. Ends justify the means? You act like the means are immoral or something. Please.

The links show that UConn hides accusations of sex assault. They show that Amherst college does too and many other places. With multiple people being told a music professor is abusing children on campus, no one takes the case to the top. It's swept under a rub. Par for the course.

About he cop, did you not read the complaint?

Reaction Score
About Allred, she's the only one to take Bobby Davis's case. No one before her ever brought it into the public. ESPN hid it, Syracuse buried it, Davis himself was not so aware of his possible avenues nor of statutes of limitations, etc. Sometimes that's what it takes. Were it not for the after-the-fact advice, we'd never have heard about Davis at all.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This place can really make your head hurt.
Yeah. This is why I stay away from comments sections of courant.com or other newspapers.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested to hear bizlaw's take on this.

Here's mine: This is completely gutless on Rose Ricci's part and damages her credibility, that of her other litigants and trivializes an important issue. Her "I feel invalidated all over again" sounds very hollow, melodramatic and if it was scripted at the Women's Center. Unless Rose and other produce credible evidence sometime very soon we are sprinting into Duke lacrosse territory.

Hey Rose -- quit playing games. Tell us who this SUPPOSED attacker was and the circumstances (dating or not, alcohol involved, etc. etc) You've come forward to identify yourself as an ALLEGED victim. Don't make all the players suspects.

I have a 19-year-old daughter. I can't imagine what I what would do if something like this happened to her. But I'm pretty sure if I was confident she had a legitimate case I wouldn't let her traipse all over campus and the media as a tool of the evil Gloria Allred.

hey ruskinc,go duck* yourself. i know rose personally. we need to close this thread we have no busniness talking about this on a football forum. if we find the players name then yes. but let's shut this down

Reaction Score
Why are you so incensed about publicity? This is what it takes to get these schools to act. Ends justify the means? You act like the means are immoral or something. Please.

The links show that UConn hides accusations of s e x assault. They show that Amherst college does too and many other places. With multiple people being told a music professor is abusing children on campus, no one takes the case to the top. It's swept under a rub. Par for the course.

About he cop, did you not read the complaint?

I'm incensed about the publicity IF THE ALLEGATIONS ARE NOT TRUE. Duke lacrosse and other cases have taught us there are times when people are falsely accused. I know one thing. If I'm the player (of the father of the player) who gets outed as the alleged rapist and Ricci's claims are proven false -- and we agree there's a possibility she actually might be lying or embellishing -- Gloria Allred should get prepared to lose a significant chunk of cash. And if the Women's Center had any role in furthering untrue claims, I'd sue them and/or UConn for enabling them to do it.

I know about the complaint about the cop. That's not what I'm asking You've said UConn has taken no action with the cop. What's the proof that UConn hasn't spoken to or investigated the cop?

One thing that would be helpful in this discussion is to limit it to the allegations made by Ricci about the football player. That's why this story is on this UConn football message board. The waters are being muddied by other cases elsewhere. If we're going to start talking about the overall sexual assault on campus issue this ought go to the Cesspool. And I choose not to wade in there.

Reaction Score
hey ruskinc,go f* yourself. i know rose personally. we need to close this thread we have no busniness talking about this on a football forum. if we find the players name then yes. but let's shut this down

Hey buddy just becuase you're friends with an ALLEGED victim doesn't mean you get to flex your internet muscles, suspend my free speech rights, or the others on this board who have issues with the credibility of your friend, who made a conscious decision to become a public figure and try to make this a national story and take down UConn football on the way. When she said "football player" that's when it became a VALID topic for this board.

I'll stop when she and Allred stop calling press conferences. I'll stop when newspapers and TV stations stop doing stories about this.

Your friend has created 105-plus suspects by her claim. Somebody needs to defend a lot of innocent players here who had nothing to do with this.

And another thing. If you are a friend of hers why didn't you or her other friends get her to a doctor after this alleged act? Her case would be a lot stronger.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
While I do feel outrage about cases of false accusation, it does disrupt their lives, reputations etc, I feel 5,983,751,207,879 times more outrage on behalf all of the actual victims of assault around the world who can't get justice, for whatever institutional, cultural, religious, political reasons. I also think that if you can create a culture of respect and responsibility, you can significantly cut down the potential for false accusations.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Hey buddy just becuase you're friends with an ALLEGED victim doesn't mean you get to flex your internet muscles, suspend my free speech rights, or the others on this board who have issues with the credibility of your friend, who made a conscious decision to become a public figure and try to make this a national story and take down UConn football on the way. When she said "football player" that's when it became a VALID topic for this board.

I'll stop when she and Allred stop calling press conferences. I'll stop when newspapers and TV stations stop doing stories about this.

Your friend has created 105-plus suspects by her claim. Somebody needs to defend a lot of innocent players here who had nothing to do with this.

And another thing. If you are a friend of hers why didn't you or her other friends get her to a doctor after this alleged act? Her case would be a lot stronger.
cesspool please

Reaction Score
While I do feel outrage about cases of false accusation, it does disrupt their lives, reputations etc, I feel 5,983,751,207,879 times more outrage on behalf all of the actual victims of assault around the world who can't get justice, for whatever institutional, cultural, religious, political reasons. I also think that if you can create a culture of respect and responsibility, you can significantly cut down the potential for false accusations.

Jungle, you and I seem to be simpatico on a lot of other (real sports talk) issues. And I agree that a real victim of assault suffers much more than someone who has been falsely accused of rape. But a culture of respect and responsibility includes "don't tell hurtful lies" and "don't stretch the truth" as much as it does "don't hurt/violate" another person physically. My issue here is that UConn football and a so-far unnamed player are being used as convenient targets, and people don't seem to have a problem if what is being said isn't true because the overall cause is noble.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

This is why women don't report rapes. They are suspected of embellishing or outright lying because they don't act the way some man thinks would be logical. Have you ever held a woman in your arms while she was crying hysterically after being raped? I have. She never reported it and never went to the doctor because she believed he would report it to the police. Because the rapist was a big-man-on-campus type, she felt she would have been ridiculed as a whore or ostracized for daring to besmirch the name of the guy. This isn't unusual and young women don't generally like to make waves, to make themselves a target like that. It's a self-confidence issue, something men don't understand in my experience.

In a previous post, you mentioned that the women should prove they were raped. How? Usually it's a he-said, she-said situation and women are often viewed as over-emotional types that are exaggerating because she felt embarrassed the next day. Another reason women don't report rapes.

I have no opinion about the incidents at UConn because I have no knowledge of the facts. Sadly, I do believe it's possible that it's all possible because I have been a coed on a male-predominant campus and know how some guys that are on their own for the first time and being, essentially, young and stupid can act. I do wish that another attorney besides Allred had taken the case. I consider her to be too strident and screechy and the fact she takes it on herself to speak for all women annoys me. She also damages the credibility of the plaintiffs to some people. What should have been a serious discussion on rape and violence on the UConn campus has become a circus and she thrives on that.

Reaction Score
This is why women don't report rapes. They are suspected of embellishing or outright lying because they don't act the way some man thinks would be logical. Have you ever held a woman in your arms while she was crying hysterically after being raped? I have. She never reported it and never went to the doctor because she believed he would report it to the police. Because the rapist was a big-man-on-campus type, she felt she would have been ridiculed as a whore or ostracized for daring to besmirch the name of the guy. This isn't unusual and young women don't generally like to make waves, to make themselves a target like that. It's a self-confidence issue, something men don't understand in my experience.

In a previous post, you mentioned that the women should prove they were raped. How? Usually it's a he-said, she-said situation and women are often viewed as over-emotional types that are exaggerating because she felt embarrassed the next day. Another reason women don't report rapes.

I have no opinion about the incidents at UConn because I have no knowledge of the facts. Sadly, I do believe it's possible that it's all possible because I have been a coed on a male-predominant campus and know how some guys that are on their own for the first time and being, essentially, young and stupid can act. I do wish that another attorney besides Allred had taken the case. I consider her to be too strident and screechy and the fact she takes it on herself to speak for all women annoys me. She also damages the credibility of the plaintiffs to some people. What should have been a serious discussion on rape and violence on the UConn campus has become a circus and she thrives on that.

And the question then becomes, why does no one speak for the victims, alleged or not, before Allred can get to them? I'd point to the Bobby Davis case again. How many years go by before this guy could get proper representation? Statute of Limitations ended two years prior to the latest allegations. A decade had gone by. No wonder Allred shows up.

Reaction Score
This is why women don't report rapes. They are suspected of embellishing or outright lying because they don't act the way some man thinks would be logical. Have you ever held a woman in your arms while she was crying hysterically after being raped? I have.

I appreciate the very thoughtful post, Nan. Respectfully -- given that you seem to be a sensitive, compassionate and reasonable person, I'm surprised you were unable to gently persuade her to follow up.

I'm coming at this from the view of how think I would handle it if it happened to my daughter -- specifically the getting her help and medical treatment ASAP (rape kit) part to help find the bad guy. Understood it's not an easy trip to the doctor, and that it's not a foolproof evidence-gathering method. And if someone has been drugged and legitimately has no memory of the attack understood that further complicates things.

I can tell you I would go the ends of the earth to find out who did it -- except for calling in Allred. That's where this whole UConn thing is on shaky ground. And just throwing out "a football player did it" is appalling because it slimes a whole group of people. The word "football" is why we're talking about it here.

I won't be surprised if and when the evidence comes out that the truth will lie somewhere in the middle, where neither gender will be angels.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Great post. I would say there are lots of men who have experienced bullying, racial, ethnic or religious and even gender marginalization or sexual abuse. There isn't a gender monopoly when it comes to human insensitivity and aggression unfortunately. Victimization occurs in many forms and far too many people suffer from insensitive behavior. And sadly many victims end up victimizing others.

Reaction Score
Great post. I would say there are lots of men who have experienced bullying, racial, ethnic or religious and even gender marginalization or s e xual abuse. There isn't a gender monopoly when it comes to human insensitivity and aggression unfortunately. Victimization occurs in many forms and far too many people suffer from insensitive behavior. And sadly many victims end up victimizing others.

I appreciate this post, the focus should be on teaching people proper behavior. But there are too many systematic and bureaucratic obstacles to reporting at the college level, and you see them at university after university. Why are people surprised a cop might have said that when administrators have said much worse--repeatedly--at other places? There have been a ton of cover-ups of rapes involving student athletes with complicitous administrators involved. The girl at Notre Dame a year or two ago committed suicide. This even happens at the high school level first with Steubenville and now Maryville. It is certainly not simply a matter of a woman (or man or child) being victimized and then finding/investigating the culprits. Before anyone ever gets to that stage, a whole series of things can happen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I appreciate the very thoughtful post, Nan. Respectfully -- given that you seem to be a sensitive, compassionate and reasonable person, I'm surprised you were unable to gently persuade her to follow up.
There are times when a woman reports a rape she is asked:
1. Were you drinking?
2. What were you wearing?

In other words, is this assault in any way your own fault? Women go through a very traumatic time following a rape and to have to go to the police and have to convince them to even investigate is often too overwhelming for them.

Word gets around campus on how the campus police will react. If it's known among women that they will be essentially accused of causing their own rape ("spreading legs like peanut butter"), then they won't go to the cops. Again, 18-22 year old women are not generally self-confident. It takes an extraordinary young woman to gather the wherewithall to challenge the system, especially a system that watched the Duke lacrosse situation and didn't want to repeat history.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I appreciate this post, the focus should be on teaching people proper behavior. But there are too many systematic and bureaucratic obstacles to reporting at the college level, and you see them at university after university. Why are people surprised a cop might have said that when administrators have said much worse--repeatedly--at other places? There have been a ton of cover-ups of rapes involving student athletes with complicitous administrators involved. The girl at Notre Dame a year or two ago committed suicide. This even happens at the high school level first with Steubenville and now Maryville. It is certainly not simply a matter of a woman (or man or child) being victimized and then finding/investigating the culprits. Before anyone ever gets to that stage, a whole series of things can happen.

I personally think that the terms Rape and S e x ual Harassment should be done away with since we already have laws against Assault & Battery and Harassment. As soon as you imply that the assault is s e x ual in nature, the woman's behavior and background are immediately questioned.

Rape is not a s e x crime, it's a crime of power, domination, and humiliation. People want to talk about a woman's s e x ual history after a rape; they really should be looking at the man's emotional makeup.

Reaction Score
It takes an extraordinary young woman to gather the wherewithall to challenge the system, especially a system that watched the Duke lacrosse situation and didn't want to repeat history.

There was a rush to judgement in the Duke case led by a perfect storm of a desparate local prosecutor seeking re-election aligning with community and campus special interest groups that cost a completely innocent coach his job, and that's just for starters. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest there not be a rush to judgement in this case.

Just watched Allred on Face the State with Dennis House. Makes my skin crawl. She actually had a smile on her face talking about some of this. Sickening.

And she also unloaded on Herbst. I know it won't happen but I'd love to see Herbst debate Allred.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are times when a woman reports a rape she is asked:
1. Were you drinking?
2. What were you wearing?

In other words, is this assault in any way your own fault? Women go through a very traumatic time following a rape and to have to go to the police and have to convince them to even investigate is often too overwhelming for them.

Word gets around campus on how the campus police will react. If it's known among women that they will be essentially accused of causing their own rape ("spreading legs like peanut butter"), then they won't go to the cops. Again, 18-22 year old women are not generally self-confident. It takes an extraordinary young woman to gather the wherewithall to challenge the system, especially a system that watched the Duke lacrosse situation and didn't want to repeat history.

When a man gets publicly accused of rape, his life is effectively changed forever. There is no way to un-ring that bell in the Internet age. Those Duke Lacrosse players are impacted for the rest of their life, because every employer who performs a background check will get a hit with that incident. It doesn't matter that they were found innocent. There are hundreds of candidates that never got accused of rape to hire instead of the guy who did. Why deal with it as an employer? What prospective employer wants to hear the explanation for why some guy isn't really a rapist?

So there should be some standard for deciding when to prosecute and when not to. I recognize how traumatic it can be, and I have known both women and men that were impacted by s e x ual violence. That said, if you boil down what Allred is demanding, it is that the university accept the victims' statements as fact. And if they don't, then the UNIVERSITY, not only the assailants, is liable.

I don't want to jump into specifics, but I believe Ricci in the complaint as it relates to the alleged incident. One of the other plaintiff's allegations are a little farfetched. That said, in all the cases, the plaintiffs suit should be with the alleged assailants, not the university. Think about the implications of this. You would effectively be permitting law enforcement to suspend the entire Bill of Rights in prosecuting alleged assailants of s e x ual assault.

Reaction Score
Nobody has to preface any of their comments. Rape is wrong and the person or persons who did it (if they did) need to be prosecuted. That's a given.

But until there is proof I'm not going to convict anyone. While rape is way under reported, there are also innocent people who are accused.

The problem with sexual assault is that it's such an intensely personal crime that there is often no proof. Rape and consensual sex can look exactly the same from a "proof" perspective, so you're stuck in a place where it comes down to believing the accuser or the accused. Yes, innocent people are accused. But I suspect it's not even close to the sheer number of victims who are disregarded or who are told they deserved it for being drunk, or dressing in certain clothes, etc. Therein lies one of the systemic problems with sexual assault. There are no real answers or solutions that I know of. Which is why it's all the more important to teach men to respect women, to understand that no is always no, that consent matters.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

But this does happen and cannot be ignored as a possibility. Not that every woman lies about being attacked and reports shouldn't be taken seriously, but I completely understand how some people can be skeptical about girls outing alleged in-the-spotlight attackers when stuff like this goes down:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/brian-banks-ca-football-p_n_1543992.html

This man's life is, as many other have been, ruined, and it doesn't even take conviction to at ruin a reputation forever. Just the accusation can be enough for the man to become ridiculed. It's an instant guilty verdict with no way of even proving innocence.

Doesn't excuse UConn's reaction though. It's a shame everyone isn't honest or else these cases would be a lot easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom