UConn football: Auriemma weighs in on selection of new coach (Jim Fuller) | The Boneyard

UConn football: Auriemma weighs in on selection of new coach (Jim Fuller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn football: Auriemma weighs in on selection of new coach

>>“When I heard that there wasn’t going to be a search firm, I smiled and I was pretty excited about that,” Auriemma said. That is a testament to how quickly Benedict has earned Auriemma’s trust and Auriemma believes having the decision made by Benedict with help from the UConn athletic department’s Chief Operating Officer Beth Goetz and Deputy Athletic Director Vic Cegles will hire the right person for the job after previous regimes swung and missed on the hires of Paul Pasqualoni and Bob Diaco who lasted 28 and 37 games respectively before being fired.

“I wasn’t privy to any of the conversations leading up to the decision that was made but ever since Dave has been here, all of my conversations with him have been incredibly enlightening for me in that he has a real good handle on what this is about, what we are trying to do, the challenges that are ahead of us,” Auriemma said. “I think when you think about taking the job at Connecticut the last couple of years, you are thinking it is mostly upside, you win a bunch of games, we continue to win championships, the football team keeps moving forward, things happening around the country. All of a sudden you are here and you are faced with a lot of challenges. Being around him, the team that he has assembled is really good. He is not afraid to surround himself with people that are really good at what they do. He allows them to be really good at what they do. He, Beth and Vic certainly have a wealth of knowledge and experience in the football world so I don’t expect my phone to be ringing (looking for) any suggestions.”<<

>>“It is part of life,” Auriemma said. “I was trying to explain that to our players. Obviously they are pretty good friends with a lot of guys on the team and I don’t get into that part of it but that is the real world. Sometimes when you are playing college sports, you are in this bubble and in this fantasy land. You get up in the morning and get everything you want every single day. Then something like that, I tried to explain that to them that is a reminder that when they leave here and get into the real world, they are being evaluated on their performance and that is what happens. The sooner they learn that, the sooner they understand that, I think that helps them and it helps everybody. College athletics is some ways is not that much different from the real world anymore.”<<

Reaction Score
To be fair, Calhoun was hired by a search committee. You can get it right (or wrong) by any method.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To be fair, Calhoun was hired by a search committee. You can get it right (or wrong) by any method.

I don't know about that. There may have been a committee put together after Permission was canned but the reality is that Toner had JC pegged for the job for more than a year before he was allowed to pull the trigger. In fact, he told JC to show no mercy (when Northeastern blew us out in the CT Mutual Classic) to provide ammunition to Toner to get the trustees to approve a change in head coach.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Throwing shade at Diaco, I see.

Reaction Score
Throwing shade at Diaco, I see.
Real world life. You don't perform ( Diaco didnt win enough nor did the product he put on the field, along with his philosophy to get there, have a suitable time table that would breed consistent success). End result: you get replaced. Happens all the time in the real world.

Reaction Score
Real world life. You don't perform ( Diaco didnt win enough nor did the product he put on the field, along with his philosophy to get there, have a suitable time table that would breed consistent success). End result: you get replaced. Happens all the time in the real world.

Are you saying that the next head coach will come from a BRIC country? I hope Diaco does not train his replacement.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller (@NHRJimFuller)
12/29/16, 10:52 PM
Geno Auriemma on Randy Edsall returning as #UConn football coach: "He certainly knows the neighborhood." Ramblings from The Runway: UConn's Auriemma on Randy Edsall: He certainly knows the neighborhood

>>"I think for a lot of us it came as a little bit of a surprise but I think (UConn AD) Dave (Benedict) was looking for a certain type of coach, someone who has a certain understanding that this is not just any place. He has complete familiarity with what the deal is at Connecticut, what you have to do. He coached a lot of great players here, he has a lot of success while he was here. They say that you can never go home again but we are in a different league, it is a different scenario but maybe he can himself in the same spot he was in before. He certainly knows the neighborhood, that's for sure."<<

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99