UConn football added QB Joe Fagnano from Maine. How the transfer can contribute: 'Leader and a winner' (Will Aldam @Hearst) | The Boneyard

UConn football added QB Joe Fagnano from Maine. How the transfer can contribute: 'Leader and a winner' (Will Aldam @Hearst)

Reaction Score

Alternate access <<

-> "You guys are going to be pleased with the young man that he is," said Chuck Crews, who coached Fagnano at Williamsport Area High in Pennsylvania. "He is a leader and a winner. He does all of the little things and at the same time, he is not out there as a me, me, me guy. He is a great teammate and that quarterback competition at UConn just got a lot more competitive, I'll tell you that much." <-

-> "I am excited to see what Joe can bring to (UConn)," Crews said. "You are going to love his pocket presence, his eyes are always down field. He moves so instinctively in the pocket, and when he takes off he has some wheels. You guys are going to really love who Joe is." <-

Reaction Score
Guess I'm in the minority here. I was hoping this kid transferred here last year due to his production under Charlton. Better late than never, but may the best man win the job.

Reaction Score
Bringing in a qb with size and experience is great..adds to a already good qb room… hopefully Robertson is ready to go also…can’t wait to start hearing how spring ball is going… seems like players are really buying in to what Mora is preaching…lost only a few players to the transfer portal …I think this is a very big season for Uconn football… we need to keep playing at a high level to change the narrative pre Mora

Reaction Score
Bringing in a qb with size and experience is great..adds to a already good qb room… hopefully Robertson is ready to go also…can’t wait to start hearing how spring ball is going… seems like players are really buying in to what Mora is preaching…lost only a few players to the transfer portal …I think this is a very big season for Uconn football… we need to keep playing at a high level to change the narrative pre Mora
I agree. I think a good season is now all we need to change the narrative. I think think a winning record will do it.

Reaction Score
Next year’s team will be better on paper than last year’s team. But to translate that to a better record, they need to learn to win on the road.
They need to get way more than 100 yards per game passing if expect to win many games on the road. Away games regular season 5 of 6 loses got 119,24,39,107,129,116. Not going to run through many teams at their place, need passing yards.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm in the minority here. I was hoping this kid transferred here last year due to his production under Charlton. Better late than never, but may the best man win the job.
I think I recall you posting that back then. But what goes around comes around in the coaching business. And I think there might be some protocol involved in this case. Building relationships in the northeast would not have been supported by taking their QB along with Charlton. Anyway, he is here now, so good.

Reaction Score
Bringing in a qb with size and experience is great..adds to a already good qb room… hopefully Robertson is ready to go also…can’t wait to start hearing how spring ball is going… seems like players are really buying in to what Mora is preaching…lost only a few players to the transfer portal …
Regarding Fagnano, a guy who has played a few seasons of college football appears to indirectly replace Micah Leon. The latter only played in one 2021 game (Houston). Before this semester, Leon reportedly grad transferred back home to Florida as a PWO.

Reaction Score
Regarding Fagnano, a guy who has played a few seasons of college football appears to indirectly replace Micah Leon. The latter only played in one 2021 game (Houston). Before this semester, Leon reportedly grad transferred back home to Florida as a PWO.

LOL comparing Fagnano to Leon. Do some homework. Fagnano has a legit chance to start and likely will be the starter unless the incumbent improves significantly. Leon was just a complete shot in the dark from a lazy recruiter.

Reaction Score
LOL comparing Fagnano to Leon. Do some homework. Fagnano has a legit chance to start and likely will be the starter unless the incumbent improves significantly. Leon was just a complete shot in the dark from a lazy recruiter.
Yup, my unclear message was intended to reference Fagnano taking/using the scholarship availed by Leon’s departure. Replace, bad word choice.

Acknowledging Nick Charlton more than most knows Fagnano’s capabilities, the latter is one of 4-5 guys competing to start. At this point, it’s unclear any QB is the clear starter.

Whether Fagnano’s success at the FCS level transfers to FBS is to be determined. May the best man win, and help lead UConn to a successful season.

Reaction Score
I didn't want to be "that guy". Drena showed a better arm than Leon.

Reaction Score

Alternate access <<

-> "You guys are going to be pleased with the young man that he is," said Chuck Crews, who coached Fagnano at Williamsport Area High in Pennsylvania. "He is a leader and a winner. He does all of the little things and at the same time, he is not out there as a me, me, me guy. He is a great teammate and that quarterback competition at UConn just got a lot more competitive, I'll tell you that much." <-

-> "I am excited to see what Joe can bring to (UConn)," Crews said. "You are going to love his pocket presence, his eyes are always down field. He moves so instinctively in the pocket, and when he takes off he has some wheels. You guys are going to really love who Joe is." <-

Would like to see a higher release point.

Reaction Score

Leon wasn’t even on the roster last season. He was “replaced” over a year ago.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping Fagnano is to football what Lou Lopez Senechal is to basketball. Lower level kid who can truly play in the big leagues and a bit of a surpris

Welcome to UConn, Joe!

"Once he got an opportunity, Joe Fagnano of Williamsport, PA HS proved to be one of the best quarterbacks in the WVC during the decade. In two seasons as a starter, Fagnano led one of best offenses in the region. He threw for 4,024 yards and 43 touchdown passes for his career while completing 62% of his passes. Fagnano also rushed for 956 yards and 16 rushing touchdowns. He holds the school record for completion rate and touchdown passes in a season (30).

Fagnano was named 2017 WVC Big School Offensive Player of the Year and first-team quarterback. He was named All-State Quarterback in 2017 by the Pennsylvania Football Writers. He played in the PSFCA East-West All-Star game, then continued his football career at the Division 1 FCS University of Maine where he started six games as a true freshman for the Black Bears.?

Williamsport coach Charles Crews on Fagnano: “Joe was able to do the impossible in any athlete’s career. He stepped in and filled the shoes of an all-time great and succeeded! Joe followed the career of the school’s all time leader in every passing category and an all-state performer. He acquitted himself by earning all state honors himself and breaking several of his predecessors records in the process. Joe’s success was only a surprise to people outside of the program. We knew he was a stud in waiting.”

As college recruiting talks began to heat up, Maine's Nick Charlton made the trip to see the high school quarterback.

"Coach Charlton was not the lead recruiter, but he came down to see him," Crews said. "Joe was just letting it rip, and Coach Charlton knew he had a steal. He left there knowing that a great quarterback had fallen into his lap."

As a freshman in 2019, Fagnano played in eight games. He completed 121 of 184 passes for 1,835 yards and 17 touchdowns against three interceptions. But injuries and the pandemic limited Fagnano's opportunity over his first three years in Maine. In total, he completed 461 of 772 passing attempts (59.7%) for 5,655 yards and 46 touchdowns against 12 interceptions. He had 535 rushing yards on 229 attempts for five touchdowns in his career, with 296 yards and three of those touchdowns coming last fall. Fagnano entered the portal after last season and chose UConn. At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, Fagnano has the size and mobility to fit well into UConn's offense.

"I am excited to see what Joe can bring to (UConn)," Crews said. "You're going to love his pocket presence, his eyes are always down field. He moves so instinctively in the pocket, and when he takes off he has some wheels. You guys are going to really love Joe’s work ethic and stoic leadership which made him the most popular man on the team and a fan favorite. Keep an eye on this young man, the best is yet to come!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see the stats, but does he have a good arm, can he make the throws? Has anyone seen him play?

Reaction Score
I see the stats, but does he have a good arm, can he make the throws? Has anyone seen him play?
Thinking that Charlton has. And he's probably the only one other than HCJM who matters.

Reaction Score
Just briefly on tv. I think it really hard to evaluate Fagnano off last season. Charting obviously has a positive opinion of him. And in terms of total games he has more experience than the rest of the room combined. He had a good year statically but the team only won 2. And lost a number of games by 3 or less. From film and what I saw he looks credible. Throws a nice catchable ball and can hit guys deep. Moves pretty well . But then it is FCS so the majority of players are not up to FBS levels. There are some, of course.

Reaction Score
I watched this after he committed to UConn to get a taste of his potential vs FBS opponents:

What were you're impressions? I'm thinking he will be our most productive player at the spot since Shirreffs or at least Pindell.

Reaction Score
What were you're impressions? I'm thinking he will be our most productive player at the spot since Shirreffs or at least Pindell.
I didn't include my impressions because I wanted folks to watch for themselves, but since you asked:

I like his experience/leadership, ability to check off receivers and he made some strong throws. But I was not really blown away. I think he will be a strong viable competitor for playing time. I see him as a more polished/experienced version of Turner - like what Zion will look like like as a senior.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to between Zion and Joe…
If Robertson is healthy then those 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom