UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic) | The Boneyard

UConn football’s instant turnaround under Jim Mora: How did Huskies get to bowl (Chris Vannini@The Athletic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Attachments

• DEA3397B-530A-42A2-8BD2-0E73F98EA101.png
    DEA3397B-530A-42A2-8BD2-0E73F98EA101.png
    427.8 KB · Views: 299

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Love this, and love that he said he's coming back next season - "Mitchell is the heart of the defense. He had 120 tackles in 2021 and could have transferred to another school, but he believed in Mora’s vision after their first conversation. UConn was the only FBS school to offer the Connecticut native out of high school. Finishing the job with this team meant something. Mitchell’s 134 tackles this season are tied for the fourth-most in the country."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Other interesting nugget....Mora said they haven't heard a peep from Spanos since he left...

"We haven’t seen him since the day he left,” Mora said. “We haven’t talked to him since the day he left. He’s just in the rearview mirror.”

I guess the rumors about a riff between Spanos and the team were accurate. So odd considering Mora's long history with Spanos.

But...I think it worked out for the best. The defense under Mora had an incredible turnaround...and now Mora can put in place a DC who aligns with his approach. I still wouldn't mind Mora continuing to make the defensive calls.

Reaction Score
Other interesting nugget....Mora said they haven't heard a peep from Spanos since he left...

"We haven’t seen him since the day he left,” Mora said. “We haven’t talked to him since the day he left. He’s just in the rearview mirror.”

I guess the rumors about a riff between Spanos and the team were accurate. So odd considering Mora's long history with Spanos.

But...I think it worked out for the best. The defense under Mora had an incredible turnaround...and now Mora can put in place a DC who aligns with his approach. I still wouldn't mind Mora continuing to make the defensive calls.

What was the general riff? Mora taking over the defense was obviously a massive upgrade.

Reaction Score
Hey apologistas, is it OK for another round of Randy bashing? Don't want to hurt your fee-fees.
As long as folks live in the past, we will hear about PP, red pants, and RE 2.0.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not an apologista, but i think it would probably be instructive to figure out how much/if Edsall was being paid, during this downtime. If his pay went down, i wouldn't slight quite as much for packing up, but that timeframe seems wildly excessive, either way.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Ha - remember those that wanted to deny this angle? Those that didn't believe what insiders were saying about the Spanos-Mora rift?

Reaction Score
Wow, the article is very informative. If Edsall left the team during COVID, he should have been fired much quicker. We all suspected the issues with Spanos. I think Spanos was looking to run a 3-4, but Mora saw UConn had more ready DL than LBs and switched to a 4-3. All that said, Spanos stood by the team in 2021 and we should be grateful for his leadership.

Here's a question. Why are we just learning that Edsall basically abandoned the team during COVID?

Reaction Score
Hey apologistas, is it OK for another round of Randy bashing? Don't want to hurt your fee-fees.
He CARED so much!!! Always was and always will be a phony. Yes he did a great job his 1st go round, but he is always was the same guy. Only difference was we got him the 1st time on his way up the ladder, and the 2nd time on his way down.

Reaction Score
I have heard, and this sort of confirms for me, that Edsall felt like the school basically abandoned football when it left the AAC. Especially when they did it without getting his input. He just basically quit on them the way he felt they quit on him. I’m not defending him. Just reporting what I was told.

I love Mora though. The guy can absolutely coach. He had every excuse in the book tailor made:
1. Didn’t have “his guys.”
2. Lost his DC 2 weeks before the start of the season
3. Lost his starting qb in the first half of game .
4. True frosh backup qb.
5. Skill positions decimated by injuries
And on and on. He took none of them and just went out and won 6 games including a ranked team and our arch enemy.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Wow, the article is very informative. If Edsall left the team during COVID, he should have been fired much quicker. We all suspected the issues with Spanos. I think Spanos was looking to run a 3-4, but Mora saw UConn had more ready DL than LBs and switched to a 4-3. All that said, Spanos stood by the team in 2021 and we should be grateful for his leadership.

Here's a question. Why are we just learning that Edsall basically abandoned the team during COVID?
Because this looks god-awful for AD David Benedict, the BOT and school administration.

Reaction Score
I have heard, and this sort of confirms for me, that Edsall felt like the school basically abandoned football when it left the AAC. Especially when they did it without getting his input. He just basically quit on them the way he felt they quit on him. I’m not defending him. Just reporting what I was told.

I love Mora though. The guy can absolutely coach. He had every excuse in the book tailor made:
1. Didn’t have “his guys.”
2. Lost his DC 2 weeks before the start of the season
3. Lost his starting qb in the first half of game .
4. True frosh backup qb.
5. Skill positions decimated by injuries
And on and on. He took none of them and just went out and won 6 games including a ranked team and our arch enemy.
There is no defending him if that is true though as if he quit because of that you resign or retire and don’t to what he did which is sign another contract with said school and quit while under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom