UConn-Duke postgame thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn-Duke postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It could be worse. The mistakes could be more stolen passes or steals leading directly to immediate layups. And at the other end their defense could be worse. And do we factor in just the 3 mistakes what about how long after are you keeping them in in which they could potentially do more "damage?"
There is always a chance things could be worse, but why continue to push your starters past the point of being effective?

Reaction Score
In regards to refereeing games...on at least a couple of occasions in the tournament, Paige has gone to the floor after a loose ball. On each occasion, one or two opponents have ended up on her back and gained "co-possession" of the ball.
How is this not a foul? No way was there no contact prior to trying to tie up the ball.
I don’t get the offensive foul called on AE when she has the ball in her hands and is just pivoting. Why does the opponent get to run into her and not get called for a foul? Doesn’t the offensive player have that cone around them?

Reaction Score
They were up 20. What was it at the end? If they played 3 more minutes they might have lost.
So, "being effective" means point differential under a certain amount of minutes vs winning the game?

How happy do you think Kara and Duke team is that "they might have won" when their clear intention was "to win?"

"Winning the game" is more effective than "might have won/come close" when you go into the game with the intent "to win."

Reaction Score
I was referring to her second foul with 2+ minutes left in the first half. Left her in,foul #3. Makes no sense. I don't think he understands that it isn't just a matter of being careful in an emotional game, partly because he never played the game at any high level.
I don't know how any coach could anticipate a player falling down trying to get a rebound and then grabbing and yanking on an opponent's leg from the floor. Just a dumb, dumb play. I could fault Geno for a lot, but not that one.

Reaction Score
I don't know how any coach could anticipate a player falling down trying to get a rebound and then grabbing and yanking on an opponent's leg from the floor. Just a dumb, dumb play. I could fault Geno for a lot, but not that one.
You also had CD talking about she thought when her players were trapped that they were expecting to be fouled I believe. I can no longer find the post that someone had post game comments from CD.

She did say they were tired but if anyone figured the trapping in which KK and AE were tied up was due to fatigue- that's not the message I got from CD. She said they thought they were going to get fouled which was why they held onto the ball. That's not "fatigue."

And - Just as previosuly mentioned both Nka and KK getting wiped out on obvious fouls that went uncalled. That's not "fatigue" either.

Reaction Score
So, "being effective" means point differential under a certain amount of minutes vs winning the game?

How happy do you think Kara and Duke team is that "they might have won" when their clear intention was "to win?"

"Winning the game" is more effective than "might have won/come close" when you go into the game with the intent "to win."
I get what you’re saying, and I’m thrilled we won. IF is a big word, and I’m not great with big words.

Reaction Score
Tight defense makes you compete at both ends of the floor and when you are only going to play 5 players that will wear you down. The good news is USC is not a great defense and they run an offense that stands around a lot so fatigue shouldn't be as much a factor.

Two players have to play much better though. AE played great while she was on the floor but had some really dumb fouls and she is vital for UConn to beat USC. She represents the only size inside UConn has and she will be needed. The second is Paige. She missed at least 6 shots she usually doesn't miss and I think that was before she really got tired. I expect she will have an amazing game on Monday and based on her comments after the game maybe the team didn't rest properly before this game.

KK played a great game on defense but it was also the first time she contributed on offense for a whole game. She drove the ball, she shot the ball and she had some nice passes. Shade had a tough game but against a good defense she will struggle a little since her shot is a little on the slow side. She also needs to hit a couple short shots to get her confidence up before she starts shooting 3s.

In the end they will win if they get 30 points from plays outside of AE and Paige. I really think the scoring will be much easier on Monday.
I also read that Duke specifically schemed to take ASH out of the game...to deny her the ball and opportunities to shoot from deep. The idea was to shift the pressure to KK. And KK delivered.

Reaction Score
Win and advance, we got by our not so great game that a lot of team could have taken an L in. I thought coach Lawson seemed a little off in her in game interview am i wrong?
I think she was shocked at how effective our defense was. Generally, when you hold a team to 53 points, you win!

Reaction Score
I just have 3 words:

DEFENSE!!!
TOUGHNESS!!!
PAIGE BUECKERS!!!!

Make that 4 words….;)
The first to yes---the third nada. Paige alone will win nothing. Edwards is the key--if she can score--and stay in the game--maybe. If KK and Shades decide to score--they actually could win against the mountain.

Reaction Score
Lots of great takes on this thread. One thing that worries me is about the tired comments, both from Geno at the end of the third vs and on here. Geno could have used timeouts in the third and fourth quarter to give his team a rest when he saw they needed it. For me I was worried when I thought I saw Paige try and take breathers when we were on offense. She was bent over a few times and did not come and get the ball on a few possessions when they needed her to. Geno always talks on how Paige does not want to come out of games, but it looked like she needed a breather or two. Finally, if we were so tired Saturday, it only gets harder with our second game in as many days. But can’t count out our gritty girls. Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom