UCONN-Creighton post game | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just in terms of minutes and stamina, I'm not worried. The starters can easily sustain 30, which they're practically doing that already. Can Q and Ice give him 20-25 mins each? Q is almost there and by the end of conference play Ice should be too.

The deeper question is whether Geno can continue to play the high energy, pressing defense without Aubrey. I don't know the answer to that one.
That is my concern as well. The starters do a good job of it on their own but it really kicks into gear when Aubrey comes in. Not sure what they'll do without her but I can only hope Geno thinks of something.

Reaction Score
I popped my knee out of place stepping into a hole in Northern Iraq. They flew me to Incerlik with my leg stabilized. The doctor on duty got x-rays taken, then came in told me this is going to hurt and popped it back in place. I was in a walking brace for about a week and did some rehab, after about a month I was okay. So until the doctors or UConn comes out and says what is wrong with Aubrey, I'm going to stay hopeful.
Interesting ! Her injury looked different than the non-contact ACL / MCL injuries we've unfortunately seen so often, where the injured are often able to walk off nearly unassisted. Her injury seemed more dynamic and profound; I've never seen someone grab for their knee while still in mid-flight as if her entire knee joint had popped out. Hopefully your experience may prove relevant.

Reaction Score
I popped my knee out of place stepping into a hole in Northern Iraq. They flew me to Incerlik with my leg stabilized. The doctor on duty got x-rays taken, then came in told me this is going to hurt and popped it back in place. I was in a walking brace for about a week and did some rehab, after about a month I was okay. So until the doctors or UConn comes out and says what is wrong with Aubrey, I'm going to stay hopeful.
Absolutely MSGRET. Until the UCONN Medical Staff make the call, it aint called... even for those who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Reaction Score
Interesting post-game remarks from Creighton's coach.

Coach Flanery is a class act. I liked his comment about " coaching players hard".
And.. that it is hard to do so when the players (think or say) "but , ... hey coach... we're winning"
Both Geno and "Flan" know the value of having such good rapport with their team so that
HARD MESSAGES can be delivered, even when you happen to win.

Reaction Score
And well you should. I have a more negative view, having had my knee blown out in a Div 1 Lacrosse game.

Reaction Score
Certainly not disparaging Clark who I have previously acknowledged is both a great player and the best shooter I’ve ever seen in WBB. However, I’m not quite prepared to hand her the NPOY just yet.

I’m not quite prepared to say she’s the best shooter. She was 14-34 against MSU.

Reaction Score
Lord knows I love Q, but there are those moments when it looks like she's lost defensive focus. There are fewer of them perhaps then in previous games, so I'll call it progress. KK and Ash don't lose track of where they're supposed to be. But when Q is on, when she's really focused on defense, she makes plays, grabs rebounds, dives for loose balls. I hope and even expect that by the end of February we won't see those unfocused moments and she'll be terrific.
Agree but believe that Q comes in at many positions and once she plays a more consistent role her focus will improve.

Reaction Score
Saw a very short presser with Jim Flanery and one of his gals. He was major league POed at his team. Strong implied his team gave up in the second half ..."what's 2 more...what's 4 more" ditto, ditto. Player poker faced. He plainly thought his team had there best shot at UConn and it was not to be.
Can't say anyone on Creighton played or coached well.

Reaction Score
That is my concern as well. The starters do a good job of it on their own but it really kicks into gear when Aubrey comes in. Not sure what they'll do without her but I can only hope Geno thinks of something.
Against most teams, UConn should be able to sustain this level of performance. Few teams can match UConn's intensity - rarely will the Huskies need to go at this speed the entire game. Teams like SC are much bigger so the strategy may need to be different. I worry as much about having enough players (10) to have full practices. Maybe giving some of these high performers a bit more rest is not a bad thing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A691DF12-3FFF-4C41-98C7-68018337C44A.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just in terms of minutes and stamina, I'm not worried. The starters can easily sustain 30, which they're practically doing that already. Can Q and Ice give him 20-25 mins each? Q is almost there and by the end of conference play Ice should be too.

The deeper question is whether Geno can continue to play the high energy, pressing defense without Aubrey. I don't know the answer to that one.

Does anyone know if Aubrey has another year of eligibility ?

Reaction Score
I had a nice experience at the game last night. I sat next to a nice family from Missouri. A Mom and Pop with a son and 5 year old daughter who was a Paige admirer. She even had her hair done up like Paige. I sat next to the Mom and talked to her quite a bit. She said they had drove many hours to see the game. I think they came mainly because of her daughter.
I told her that I've been fan since I lived back east and watched most of their games on SNY/DirecTV. She didn't know they televised the games and I think she has DirecTV. She said she would check when they got back home.
I left after the game was over and they stayed to get a chance for the daughter to get close to Paige. When I got home I tuned in to the post game show and saw that when SNY was talking to Edwards after the game I saw that Paige was signing autographs and taking selfies with the fans right by them. I saw the family going down to get a selfie with the little girl and her hero Paige.
Kudos to Paige for being so gracious!

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
All my thoughts are with Aubrey. Nothing else matters to me right now.
I've been praying for Paige to stay healthy all season and added prayer for Aubrey to be OK.

I had a knee problem when I was training for a marathon when I was in the Army. I had just completed a run of about 20 miles when my knee gave out. It was completely out of joint and it scared the heck out of me. I sat down at the side of the road and wondered if I could get back to the barracks. After a bit I was able to hobble back to my room.
After a night's rest my knee was OK. In the Army you have to do PT every day and I don't remember missing a day of it.
Hopefully Aubrey will have the same outcome.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Aubrey has another year of eligibility ?
I believe she still has her COVID year.
I believe that this year is “technically” Aubrey’s Covid year. But Aubrey can petition the NCAA for another year for the one she missed due to back surgery and another year after that if she ends up missing more than half of the current season because of her knee.

I have no idea how long Aubrey wants to hang around college. But if she spends two more years at UConn, we’ll all have to start calling her “The Professor.”

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
That foul was Paige’s fault though, she has to wait for the screener.
I watched the illegal screen a handful of times and Ice didn't look late to me and she looked set enough, but she caught the defender with her leg so maybe her base was too wide. She was also the second screener of a staggered screen and had more than enough time to set a proper screen. Meg probably missed these and was too quick to call out Paige for it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not quite prepared to say she’s the best shooter. She was 14-34 against MSU.
Point taken. But I would suggest that it’s not Clark’s “shooting ability” which is exceptional, but more accurately her “shot selection” which is not always the best. Clearly, Clark has the green light from her HC to take over the game and shoot the ball whenever she wants. I have seen several games where she starts to press, maybe stops looking for her teammates and starts firing away with shots that are questionable, even for Clark.

Last year against UConn, with Nika stalking her all over the court was one such game. In the 2nd half of the finals against LSU was another and, as you point out, the MSU game was yet another. But a volume shooter like Clark has to keep shooting, and that’s what she did, hitting the game winner over MSU.

Now, let’s contrast Clark’s role with Iowa with Paige’s role with UConn. Jim Flanery said it best, comparing Clark and Paige when he commented that Clark has the ball in her hands more and takes more shots, while describing Paige as “extremely efficient.” I have said before that I would take Paige over Clark, but if we could do a “time-space continuum” it would be interesting to see how Paige’s game would have developed at Iowa and Clark’s at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom