UConn Confirms; Jana Out for 23-24 Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Confirms; Jana Out for 23-24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
If the surgery is done soon, would she be able to go on the Euro trip?

Season 24-25: she might well be entering her junior year academically...or close to it.
4 years of athletic eligibilty if the NCAA grants her 6 years to complete eligibility.

Might be in the same athletic eligibilty class with Allie and Morgan [and?].

Jana: be back better than ever. Everybody rootin'/tootin' for ya.

To be totally honest, losing a year of participation (not eligibility) was a concern of mine when Jana decided to come a year early & not play.
I felt that any potential injury could derail the length of her stay as a UConn player in future years, and now that possibility has become true.
The foreign players don't have the same NIL incentive to remain in college as US born players do.
And not every foreign player will want to spend 2 additional years living on the UConn campus & taking courses for 6 years if they can turn pro before then.
If she has any further injuries that could shorten her UConn career even more.
At this point I think that UConn fans will be lucky if she plays 3 years after this year.
I can see if she uses 1 red shirt year to complete her degree but not necessarily 2 unless she really wants a graduate degree instead of turning pro.
We have no way of knowing at this point but it's very possible that last year's redshirt season will never be made up with Jana continuing to play on the team for more than another 3 years because she came early & started taking courses.
Of course she may be able to stay & extend her career to 6 years but that's not the norm, especially if she becomes as good of a player as we'd like to believe.
Allowing athletes to come as early birds has opened up a proverbial can of worms for the 2nd time in recent years a la Saylor Poffenbarger.
And Aubrey may not exercise her final year of eligibilty either in a similar way due to having a covid & a red shirt year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To be totally honest, losing a year of participation (not eligibility) was a concern of mine when Jana decided to come a year early & not play.
I felt that any potential injury could derail the length of her stay as a UConn player in future years, and now that possibility has become true.
The foreign players don't have the same NIL incentive to remain in college as US born players do.
And not every foreign player will want to spend 2 additional years living on the UConn campus & taking courses for 6 years if they can turn pro before then.
If she has any further injuries that could shorten her UConn career even more.
At this point I think that UConn fans will be lucky if she plays 3 years after this year.
I can see if she uses 1 red shirt year to complete her degree but not necessarily 2 unless she really wants a graduate degree instead of turning pro.
We have no way of knowing at this point but it's very possible that last year's redshirt season will never be made up with Jana continuing to play on the team for more than another 3 years because she came early & started taking courses.
Of course she may be able to stay & extend her career to 6 years but that's not the norm, especially if she becomes as good of a player as we'd like to believe.
Allowing athletes to come as early birds has opened up a proverbial can of worms for the 2nd time in recent years a la Saylor Poffenbarger.
And Aubrey may not exercise her final year of eligibilty either in a similar way due to having a covid & a red shirt year.

Let's go with the "no way of knowing" portion of your reply. These are valid points but there's no way to tell or predict what will happen in the future with respect to whether she'll use her full eligibility.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My heart breaks for Jana. I wish her the best and I still have hopes for the Uconn wbb team. I'm sure that the
other players are devastated by yet another season ending injury. I hope the team is able to recover from the shock and disappointment.
Go Huskies
Me too. I was really looking forward to watching her and KK play this year. Now we're down to 13 roster players for 23-24. :(
My initial reaction when I first saw this thread: And I'm serious!!! :mad: I am NOT happy. This was the last thing I wanted to read about Jana.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This burns. I feel terrible for Jana. Sending her prayers for a full recovery. My only concern is I think players play to much all year round. It wears your bodies down. Your more at risk of a injury when your playing to much. I completely understand wanting to represent your country. With that said this is the 3 rd year in a row with Injuries and last year was just a complete devastating season. Jana was huge for any chances of a national title. Jana would have started before Ice. She enrolled a semester early had practice with the UConn system and geno.. was playing at a very high level this summer. We have no idea if Ice will stay healthy.. Paige and Azzi are a question mark to. Both have had more then one serious injury on both knees. I hate to be negative but I think sadly this won’t be the last of season ending injuries for this team. Caroline had major head injuries and that worries me especially if hit in the head again.. we all know basketball is a physical sport. Don’t forget Aubrey with back issues and the freshmen haven’t played a single college game and A Patterson had surgery over the summer. Jana’s injury is going to affect this team in so many ways. I hate to say this but it ruined any chance on a title. I believe LSU will go undefeated they are loaded. U hate injuries to any player on any team but it seams the top teams the past few years have been healthy. I wonder if the training coaches need to be replaced clearly something isn’t right with all these injuries. This is exactly what I feared.. the ball is beginning to roll just like last summer..I hope I’m wrong Wishes for no more injures and UConn has a great season. Please no injures in there European tour in a few weeks. Go Huskies!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno said she was going to have an important role in the coming season so losing this skilled 6'4" player will absolutely hurt the team.........that said if Azzi, Paige, and Aaliyah can stay healthy UConn will always have a shot at the NC......
Like last year, after we lost Paige a year ago next week, we can't afford to lose anyone else. I don't really like commenting or thinking about losing players. It's bad mojo/karma.

Reaction Score
Are all these non-contact injuries due to the amount of playing time the kids are getting? It always seems like the girls train very hard and are in top shape. UConn's "luck" over the last several years makes me wonder what's causing so many injuries. BTW, I think Edwards prefers the power forward position. I had anticipated Jana getting a lot of Dorka's minutes.

Reaction Score
Jana, get better soon! We’ll all be here waiting for your return. And don’t pay any attention to the folks who think your injury has ruined UConn’s chances for a national championship. They’re just looking for a way to praise you. We all think you’re awesome, and you’ll make an already awesome team even more awesome when you come back from this.
Mr. Dog, you nailed it.

I am besides myself with grief. She had such an amazing tournament. UConn's run of injuries is in my opinion, unprecedented. What the heck do we need to do? Put more money in the basket on Sundays? I sincerely hope Jana gets all the love and support possible.

I hope she can make the Europe trip. Sales was limping around on crutches and shooting an infamous shot just mere days after her injury. So, who knows?

Other athletes have come back just fine, unfortunately it sounds like it's next year for Jana. I hope the kid goes for a masters degree.

Reaction Score
At this point I’m going to need everyone to do whatever they believe will ward off the bad juju from this team. It’s getting ridiculous at this point

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
At this point I’m going to need everyone to do whatever they believe will ward off the bad juju from this team. It’s getting ridiculous at this point
RIDICULOUS is too kind.

and 'at this point' happened a loooonnng time ago.

Reaction Score
Prayers to Jana for a speedy recovery. UConn is still the overwhelming favorites next year to win it though (provided the rest of the roster is healthy)

My final four picks are SC, UCONN, Iowa, and either Utah/UCLA

But watch out for VT and Indiana. Ohio St will miss Mikesell but Celeste Taylor is excellent

Reaction Score
Like last year, after we lost Paige a year ago next week, we can't afford to lose anyone else. I don't really like commenting or thinking about losing players. It's bad mojo/karma.
The more optimistic assumptions that this won't make much of a difference, seem to be based on assumptions that we can hope for, but are far from sure things. The last two years we were in similar situations where we couldn't afford to lose someone else but then we did. If our bigs miss two or three games each over the season, that might be close to normal.

Not missing any is the best case scenario, not the most likely. Another season ending injury probably won't happen but it certainly could. There is lots of time before the season begins, and then a long season before the NCAA tournament.

If all the big candidates stay healthy and meet or exceed expectations we might be fine, but at best we lost a major cushion against further unfortunate events, or players that fall short of our hopes. The odds that Jana will be significantly missed in at least 5 or 6 games or so seems pretty high to me, just because of a normal level of minor injuries, and the consequences even greater if Ice, Ayanna or Amari don't match our hopes for them.

Reaction Score
She was going to have a major role. This is a huge loss. Don't kid yourself. So now we have two post players, if they stay healthy. UCONN just can't have a good year. Not one. This throws cold water on the idea that we will finally have a healthy season. There will be more, I fear. It seems that we are fine only until the games begin. Keep your expectations under control. This is a total bummer.

Reaction Score
I have not read all of the posts so my bad if this was mentioned. But is it worthwhile to play in these off season tournaments? I know that they love playing ball not only for themselves but for country. Whether it’s international or USA basketball. Sometimes chilling out around the pool, beach or just taking extra foul shots may be a better thing.

Reaction Score
Wow just awful to get hurt during the last game of the tournament. Hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
I have not read all of the posts so my bad if this was mentioned. But is it worthwhile to play in these off season tournaments? I know that they love playing ball not only for themselves but for country. Whether it’s international or USA basketball. Sometimes chilling out around the pool, beach or just taking extra foul shots may be a better thing.

The same could be said for these international trips programs are completing over the course of the summer. Is it worth going overseas for "team building"?

It's not a cut and dry situation, especially for countries like Egypt who need a player like Jana to even be competitive at this level. Not to mention, it's really programs in North America that are impacted by these schedules moresoe than other countries.

Another thing to consider is an injury like this could have happened anywhere, even just walking and stepping awkwardly. It's easy to point the finger to playing in an international tournament, but that wouldn't explain what happened last year to Paige and Ice

Reaction Score
It's come to where I'm actually nervous every time I log on to the Boneyard site........they just have to break this injury cycle at some point, the sooner the better.........:(

Carnac

Reaction Score
The more optimistic assumptions that this won't make much of a difference, seem to be based on assumptions that we can hope for, but are far from sure things. The last two years we were in similar situations where we couldn't afford to lose someone else but then we did. If our bigs miss two or three games each over the season, that might be close to normal.

Not missing any is the best case scenario, not the most likely. Another season ending injury probably won't happen but it certainly could. There is lots of time before the season begins, and then a long season before the NCAA tournament.

If all the big candidates stay healthy and meet or exceed expectations we might be fine, but at best we lost a major cushion against further unfortunate events, or players that fall short of our hopes. The odds that Jana will be significantly missed in at least 5 or 6 games or so seems pretty high to me, just because of a normal level of minor injuries, and the consequences even greater if Ice, Ayanna or Amari don't match our hopes for them.
The same could be said for these international trips programs are completing over the course of the summer. Is it worth going overseas for "team building"?

It's not a cut and dry situation, especially for countries like Egypt who need a player like Jana to even be competitive at this level. Not to mention, it's really programs in North America that are impacted by these schedules moresoe than other countries.

Another thing to consider is an injury like this could have happened anywhere, even just walking and stepping awkwardly. It's easy to point the finger to playing in an international tournament, but that wouldn't explain what happened last year to Paige and Ice
Thanks for the consolation. It helps. This is MY opinion based on Jana's season ending injury.....I think Amari, Ayanna and Ice all need to have a "come to the Son of man Jesus moment" in the next few days. For those not familiar with this term: What does it mean to come to the Son of man? : a moment of sudden realization, comprehension, or recognition that often precipitates a major change.

If UConn is successful in winning #12 this season, ALL THREE of these players will have to collectively (tag team if they have to) contribute to that goal each and every game, especially come March. Get it done!!! No doubt the guards and forwards will hold up their end. The Boneyard deleted the word for the Son of man that begins with the letter J. I typed it, but the system automatically deleted it. Anyway, you get my drift.

Last edited:

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
When you recruit international players, they especially want to play FIBA during the summer. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to recruit these players if they couldn’t play on their country teams. South Florida had two on the Spanish U19 FIBA team (Marina Asensio (who was out with an undisclosed (at least to me) injury and Carla Brito, who, thankfully didn’t get injured). We also have several recruits who played on FIBA U18 teams. This is just the way it is. I hold my breath until everyone gets back on campus every year!

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's come to where I'm actually nervous every time I log on to the Boneyard site........they just have to break this injury cycle at some point, the sooner the better.........:(
Me too Charlie. I think I'm going to take a break from the yard for a few days. I'm devastated. SMH :(

Reaction Score
Horrible news. Shes Uconn’s best post player. LSU is now a huge favorite to repeat next year.
Prayers for Jana are the most important thing.

But, one should never count on an inexperienced freshman to make you the top team. And, no I don’t count LSU as a huge favorite. The are one of about 8 contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom