UConn Bringing in Marketing Team to Fill Seats | The Boneyard

UConn Bringing in Marketing Team to Fill Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have held WBB season tix at the XL for over a decade, and while I would never think of not renewing, I know a lot of folks here have stopped attending. The article focuses mostly on Rentschler Field and football (and, presumably the Big 12 expansion), but does say the group will reach out to basketball fans as well, so perhaps this as an opportunity to have our voices heard.

For me, the issue has been what I imagine are corporate seats that remain empty. Many other teams/venues allow folks to move into them after a certain time. There are only winners in that situation (the tickets have already been sold, the venue looks fuller on TV, and fans present get a treat). I, personally, would like to be able to use (and lower or better) those seats when the opportunity arises-- when those seats are not sold or used.

(Oh, who am I kidding? I once spent an entire season --except for a big Baylor game-- pretending certain lower seats were mine, so that by late in the season, security knew me and my seat-mates did too.)

LINK

Reaction Score
SARG: Your local DJ here, sending one out to Boneyard pal, Sargassoc.....listen up to the Platters and "The Great Pretender"!

(Sounds like it was a fitting response of yours to a ridiculous situation). ALso sounds like another pile of OUR tax dollars being shelled out where common sense would do. My fellow Yarders have for years suggested fixes for much of this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Best way to solve attendance issues with the women's team is to lower ticket prices.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How low can they go? There were $10 games last year that were 1/3 empty seats.
Exactly. If $10-20 is too high for a game, which would be $20-40 for a couple, I would suggest they have more financial problems that can't be solved by lower prices. I would suggest doing like Duke does - create a lower section on one side for the most rabid students/fans. Promote the games on campus. Have a bus drive around campus an hour before each game with a loudspeaker on top letting students know the game is coming up and offering to drive them over to it. When games are in Hartford, put together commuter buses to bring the students in. I don't necessarily know that you are going to get more paying people that way, but it would certainly help fill the stadium with more students.

But bottom line, ALL UCONN games are televised. It's much easier to sit in the comfort of your living room catching a game with much less expensive snacks, food, and drinks just seconds away. Plus, Storrs is a hike for many people, the parking is a pain in the neck, and getting in and out takes over an hour. Even in Bridgeport, we had to part on the upper floor and it took over an hour for us to get out of the parking garage after the game (yeah I flew back from LA to CT for the regionals last year). I get why people are not going. I think the solution is to fill the empty seats with rowdy students - either for free, or for a token price.

Send players out to local schools. Get the kids excited. Get them to have their parents take them to a game. Have more games in Bridgeport where the Fairfield County fans can get to easier.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How low can they go? There were $10 games last year that were 1/3 empty seats.

Yeah, but that's not every seat, and not all games. You want the lower bowl completely filled: charge $10 throughout the arena and $5 kid, first come first serve. Family of 4 can attend a game in the lower bowl for $40. Make it up in volume and concessions.

Also, I'd strongly suggest that if you are not at the game before the 1st quarter ends you forfeit your seats (including corporate boxes) and allow everyone else to move down from upper seats to any empty lower ones. If the arena isn't going to be filled, at least the court can be packed.

Look, people aren't going to show up to dud games anyway, especially in the women's game. Not many people want to watch an 80pt blow out, as it's completely noncompetitive. That's a big part of the problem, and you can't do anything about that part.

Exactly. If $10-20 is too high for a game, which would be $20-40 for a couple, I would suggest they have more financial problems that can't be solved by lower prices. I would suggest doing like Duke does - create a lower section on one side for the most rabid students/fans. Promote the games on campus. Have a bus drive around campus an hour before each game with a loudspeaker on top letting students know the game is coming up and offering to drive them over to it. When games are in Hartford, put together commuter buses to bring the students in. I don't necessarily know that you are going to get more paying people that way, but it would certainly help fill the stadium with more students.

But bottom line, ALL UCONN games are televised. It's much easier to sit in the comfort of your living room catching a game with much less expensive snacks, food, and drinks just seconds away. Plus, Storrs is a hike for many people, the parking is a pain in the neck, and getting in and out takes over an hour. Even in Bridgeport, we had to part on the upper floor and it took over an hour for us to get out of the parking garage after the game (yeah I flew back from LA to CT for the regionals last year). I get why people are not going. I think the solution is to fill the empty seats with rowdy students - either for free, or for a token price.

Send players out to local schools. Get the kids excited. Get them to have their parents take them to a game. Have more games in Bridgeport where the Fairfield County fans can get to easier.

All of those are good suggestions, and the point about TV is relevant, as it is the case for all sports at every level. Most people want to sit on the couch and watch games for free.

I wasn't saying attendance would be completely solved, just that you'll put more butts in the seats. I mean, you could simply give tickets away for free, and as I said above, make money on concessions. It wouldn't cost any more overhead.

Give out tickets to local schools based on some sort of metric like community service, ro a contest, or something of that nature. Students should definitely get in free, and cover the cost of busing in the athletic budget.

A place like Duke is entirely different though. It has a capacity of 9,300, which is tiny. Can't really compare to that. The XL center will always appear comparatively empty. And Cameron is located right on campus, whereas the XL Center is a hike.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the solution is to fill the empty seats with rowdy students - either for free, or for a token price.Send players out to local schools. Get the kids excited. Get them to have their parents take them to a game. Have more games in Bridgeport where the Fairfield County fans can get to easier.

thumbs-up-clipart-65.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Do you want seats filled or coffers filled?

There is a way to do both, at least to a degree. If you sell 100 tickets for $10 each, you have a $1000 in sales. If you sell 50 at $20, you have a $1000 in sales. So, same revenue at the gate, twice as many butts in the seats, and importantly, you are making 2x the money on concession sales, more on parking, more on merchandise, etc.

I'm not saying the happy medium (ideal price point) it's simple to calculate, given the variable attendance and cost estimates, but there's got to be a sweet spot somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look, people aren't going to show up to dud games anyway, especially in the women's game. Not many people want to watch an 80pt blow out, as it's completely noncompetitive. That's a big part of the problem, and you can't do anything about that part.
Bingo - back to the rotten conference schedule....

Reaction Score
There is a way to do both, at least to a degree. If you sell 100 tickets for $10 each, you have a $1000 in sales. If you sell 50 at $20, you have a $1000 in sales. So, same revenue at the gate, twice as many butts in the seats, and importantly, you are making 2x the money on concession sales, more on parking, more on merchandise, etc.

I'm not saying the happy medium (ideal price point) it's simple to calculate, given the variable attendance and cost estimates, but there's got to be a sweet spot somewhere.

Don't think it's that simple; if it were, then we wouldn't be having this issue.

• For me, I will always go to the XL Center game over watching it on TV, because I prefer a live game. The parking is easy (but that may just be me; I lived in Hartford for a couple of years and know where to park free, with easy in and out, traffic-wise) and the food choices around are good.
  • I will occasionally travel to Storrs, but pretty much only on weekends , as it's not near the central part of the state, where I live and the getting in and getting out of the campus is brutal.
  • I will never go to Bridgeport , because I find 95 a hot mess, even though I could get there pretty easily from work. It's getting home that keeps me from going.
  • I find Mohegan Sun remarkably easier than I first thought when they initially moved the tournament there. It's easy in and out, the food choices are good, and the arena intimate (if that can be said of an arena).
  • What isn't an issue for me is ticket price (but then again-- I grew up in NY) or opponent. I like a good blow-out.

So I guess it all depends on several different factors for people. Perhaps that's what the marketing people can figure out.

Reaction Score

Eric--I NEVER disagree with you so I'll just add a different point of view:

If you are a FAN of UConn Basketball you shall find a way. The wife and I attended many games in the old FIELD HOUSE--long 2 by 12 seats very hard on the tail bone. After the game and getting there often the snow was blowing and the open parking lot was at some number below zero and the baby sitter was over priced. Yet we went--the game was televised on TIC-. Why did we go???
We went because there is nothing like being in a College game with colleges kids and others cheering for the team you love and the coaches who (sometimes then) won big games--it was a crap shoot if Uconn would win or not--so we went.
The XL center only one time replicated that atmosphere--when Geno played Sherri Coale et al--in my opinion.
TV isn't the REAL culprit -- it is, as Geno has said, spoiled fans there in TV helps-- Pricing for a family of 4, all wanting to go to the game, with snacks, parking--for the average blue collar joe it becomes pricey.
Why does USC fill it's arena?? Because winning is new to them. When you never knew if Geno would win or not--the place was full
He is his own worst enemy.. After a few winning season poor Fans almost demanded Uconn to win and beat them up when they didn't.
So now you can shoot me--I've had my say on the gallows--

Reaction Score

Smart marketing says--lower the ticket prices--jack up the snacks, beer, soft drinks anything the current fans cannot do without then push over priced T shirts and hoodies, horns, flags pictures, etc --the money is in the details.

I've attended Uconn games (lots of old time mens games), I loved the Uconn games at Gampel --seating was terrible --sometimes very hard, good seats all taken--the game was the thing--Blowouts don't bother me there is alot to be learned about the end of the bench players in those games--I like the way Geno mixes and matches in the early season in "blowouts". I've made the 1000 plus miles round trip to see "lessor" teams play Uconn (big time games are too hard to get tix). I lived in Terryville and Granby and almost weekly attended at least one game--I miss that --and only that about the state of my birth and my youth.

Reaction Score

UCONN doesn't share any of the concession sales or parking revenue while playing in Hartford. I don't believe the athletic department shares any of the revenue from parking while playing at Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you want seats filled or coffers filled?
Seats, because if you fill the seats in the short term the coffers will be filled in the long term.

Reaction Score
The one dynamic no one seems to be discussing is the kids. There are a lot of high school and elementary kids who go to these games.

The more kids the better, the cheaper the better, the earlier the better.....

I liked the point system that got you better and better tickets the longer you have had season tickets. I hate the pricing that allowed some to buy points for the better tickets.

Reaction Score
For basketball ticket pricing I still don't understand how lower level seats are priced the same as upper level seats. For the UConn women it's hard to believe they could not find a way to sell more tickets for a team that won 4 national championships in a row. Is the marketing dept contacting every Park & rec dept in every town in the state? Are they in touch with youth groups, AAU teams, etc? I question what they do because in the article in the link Benedict says when commenting about the loss of football season ticket holders over the past 10 years he's not sure what's been done in the last 5-7 years to hold on to them or grow the base. That doesn't sound good. Before you bring in Aspire you may want to speak with the marketing group you have in place.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Bingo - back to the rotten conference schedule....

I think UConn should spot non competitive teams 30-40 points at the tip off. That might generate more fan interest.

Reaction Score
For basketball ticket pricing I still don't understand how lower level seats are priced the same as upper level seats. For the UConn women it's hard to believe they could not find a way to sell more tickets for a team that won 4 national championships in a row. Is the marketing dept contacting every Park & rec dept in every town in the state? Are they in touch with youth groups, AAU teams, etc? I question what they do because in the article in the link Benedict says when commenting about the loss of football season ticket holders over the past 10 years he's not sure what's been done in the last 5-7 years to hold on to them or grow the base. That doesn't sound good. Before you bring in Aspire you may want to speak with the marketing group you have in place.
I was curious last season what other top colleges charge for women games check so I checked out some of the ticket plans they offer. I was shocked at how much lower schools like TN, ND, SC and a few others charge. If I recall, ND games are below $10 and price tier their tickets by location and by opponent. And, we really do not value season ticket holders. We pay face value for all games and are forced to take the two preseason games. I even question that we get better seat locations based on the sections we've been given over the years.

Reaction Score
For basketball ticket pricing I still don't understand how lower level seats are priced the same as upper level seats.

One of my pet peeves. No way in Hades should those upper level seats be the same price. After the first few rows up there , you're just so far away from the court. Not a great value at $26 for the usual blow out. I know I won't attend a game at the XL Center and sit in the upper bowl for over $15. Sorry, a retiree on a budget and these games also require a parking fee and usually dinner out.

Went to three games at Gampel on a package deal, about $15 per ticket, there's my price point again. Glad I'm retired so we could arrive at 5:30! Traffic already existed getting into the parking garage! I fully understand why people don't attend games up there.

Hate Bridgeport, awful traffic, terrible egress in and out, have to add as much time as going to Storrs, most expensive parking.

Went to the AAC Tournament, easiest egress, free parking, great arena for hoop.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Don't think it's that simple; if it were, then we wouldn't be having this issue.
So I guess it all depends on several different factors for people. Perhaps that's what the marketing people can figure out.

But you are very likely the minority. Given the fact that you post regularly on a WCBB board and that you'll travel all over the country, you are in 'superfan' territory. That's a small concentrated group. The average or casual fan, needs a lot more incentive to go to games. They don't have the same passion.

Furthermore, most people don't have a lot of extra income floating around, especially those with big families.

The point is not to solve it for everyone, just to get more butts in the seats. So you reach out to the largest contingent you can, ostensibly, those people who are on the fence about attending games.

Reaction Score
Suggest: At the end of game give some lottery drafts. Find some companies can support the game.
If they have the first price like Apple I-Pad, I-Phone am sure lots of students will go to the
game.

Reaction Score
The one dynamic no one seems to be discussing is the kids. There are a lot of high school and elementary kids who go to these games.

The more kids the better, the cheaper the better, the earlier the better.....

I liked the point system that got you better and better tickets the longer you have had season tickets. I hate the pricing that allowed some to buy points for the better tickets.

First, I can't believe all the complaining about ticket prices. Yes I do agree with then need for price differentiation in the top deck at XL. However, this is one of the richest states in the country despite all of its other issues. If we want our ladies to travel in the style that we expect for the top team in the country, we should be willing to help support that.

I agree with the comments about the quality of competition but we haven't even been able to sell out ND and other top teams at XL. One suggestion I do have for the consultants is to look at when the games are held. Saturday or Sunday afternoon games seem to get a much higher attendance of kids. Even Geno has acknowledged that in some of his afternoon post game chats. Evening games are tough for kids plus rush hour traffic into Hartford is another downside of evening games. I don't have an answer for that.

I think the unbalanced nature of the schedule is also a contributor. We are season ticket holders for men and women at XL. We have all kinds of games crammed into December and last year, amost no games in February. I get it. Have games in Hartford when the students are away. However, it doesn't help sell tickets.

Last item. I understand the need to tie seat location to levels of support. Its not called buying points, its called contributing to UCONN. I think you will find this is pretty standard at Division I schools. However the operation of this at UCONN is pretty opaque. If we drop our season tickets it will be because of this. We have contributed fairly significantly over the last 10 years but have seen little movement in our seats, particularly for the men. In today's market, why continue to contribute when we can go on the computer and get almost the same seats [on better] without contributing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom