UConn Blog Posts Anonymous Source Comments | The Boneyard

UConn Blog Posts Anonymous Source Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw this posted elsewhere but felt it deserved its own discussion. Supposedly someone "close to the program" during both Pasqualoni and Edsall eras. Source: http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/9/30/4786408/breaking-paul-pasqualoni-fired

Pretty curious who it could be, I'm guessing an assistant or something.

"I think players are always happy when the blame is placed elsewhere. Ultimately, they did not get the job done. If they want to be happy that a good man took the fall for their failures, that's awesome for them. The people that Paul trusted let him down, both coaches and players alike. He takes blame and rightfully so, because ultimately he did put his trust in the wrong people. Paul couldn't play, unfortunately neither could (named offensive player).

"George is a character, and he doesn't really care what anyone thinks. We were terrible up front, but the perception out there that Mike Foley would have done a better job with that group is naive and shows that you probably haven't spent any time with Mike Foley. He's a good guy but he can barely...let alone make below average lineman better, and below average is a compliment for those guys. Edsall missed on lineman late in his tenure, and Foley was lucky enough to not have to deal with the mess George inherited. That's not to say George was perfect, as he struggled mightily to adjust in-game as a play caller and failed to simplify the line play when it was clear we needed to. But rest assured, we did not struggle because Mike Foley was not coaching the O-line."

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm guessing it was P's "connection" Mr. McHugh...

Reaction Score
OK offensive linemen there's your bulletin board material for the rest of the season.

Still haven't heard the audio from Saturday but it sounds like Picozzi could be a candidate too.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Lmao. UCONN had one of the best ground games in America and yet Foley doesn't know how to coach. What a joke.

He only produced two Walter Payton award winner running backs while coaching OLs at Colgate and a 2000 yard rusher at UConn... that's not even counting what Andre Dixon and Jordan Todman did behind lines he coached. That kind of sustained success at two places isn't because he got lucky...

Think about that... three times his OL was responsible for arguably the best running back in the nation...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In that case, I will post what I said in another thread here as well...

The Anonymous source must be "Coach" Pasqualoni's wife...maybe "Coach" DeLeone's. It's got to be. The throwing of 19-23 year olds under the bus continues.

Not that recruiting services' star ratings mean a hill of beans at this level, but Edsall's O-line recruits were routinely NR-2 stars, red-shirted, and were coached up.

Reaction Score
In that case, I will post what I said in another thread here as well...

The Anonymous source must be "Coach" Pasqualoni's wife...maybe "Coach" DeLeone's. It's got to be. The throwing of 19-23 year olds under the bus continues.

Not that recruiting services' star ratings mean a hill of beans at this level, but Edsall's O-line recruits were routinely NR-2 stars, red-shirted, and were coached up by Foley.

There. I finished your sentence for you.

Reaction Score
It was so ridiculous that IMO it should have never been posted. To give a PP lover (pun intended) print space was a terrible decision.

I would have at least prefaced the comment as here's someone speaking for the very vast minority.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The "Anonymous" guy that's "close to the program" is a cancer and needs to be removed from his closeness to the program. PP was in over his head and this guy needs to STFU. Could we use better players, of course, but Edsall with the same group of guys wouldn't be losing to Towson and Buffalo.

I'm hoping Weist can get us to 6 and get some momentum going... it's a long road, but a new season!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't care what the results are for the rest of the year, but I expect the means to the end (whatever happens) to be more passionate and better executed.

It's been said 7 million (rough estimate) times before - Myself included - that a good coach puts the players under his charge in the best position to succeed.

To try and teach a zone blocking scheme that the kids just couldn't grasp is doing the exact opposite. What was effective in Arlington, Texas may very well not work in East Hartford, CT. These kids have less than 4 years to develop technique and learn a new system. They are not NFL veterans who can simply change teams at the end of the season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Guys, calm down. The anonymous poster has a point. Donald Thomas and Will Beatty (two NFL offensive lineman) were recruited by just about every school in the country. He didn't have to coach them up at all.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Guys, calm down. The anonymous poster has a point. Donald Thomas and Will Beatty (two NFL offensive lineman) were recruited by just about every school in the country. He didn't have to coach them up at all.

They weren't the only ones opening holes for Terry Cauley, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, and Jordan Todman.

Reaction Score
h974461C2

Reaction Score
It was so ridiculous that IMO it should have never been posted. To give a PP lover (pun intended) print space was a terrible decision.

I would have at least prefaced the comment as here's someone speaking for the very vast minority.

The kid who wrote the article does good work on the film breakdowns and I'm sure he has bumped into a few folks who proffered their "insight/opinions" today. No different than the "experts/insiders" who post here Art...

Hell, I have a sneaking suspicion one of our newer posters is the source.

Reaction Score
Kind of reminds me of the way Stewart was booted st WVU.

I'm beginning to think, very small misguided by optimism hope maybe, that perhaps Warde Manuel does know what he's doing. As I anguished for hours yesterday, and again this morning, looking for any possible reason why the axe hadn't fallen yet after that performance in Buffalo, it never once occurred to me, that pulling the plug today, in wide open media availability press conference mode on a Monday evening prior to Monday night football,a and getting on ESPN, would be a very good publicity move rather than doing it all yesterday. Hopefully the folks in the media will oblige with whatever is going to put out later today, so that the recruits out there, the millions of people that watched UCONN football last Saturday night, might just get that reinforcement about what UCONN is about - and it's not losing.

As for Weist, he's a young, up and comer, not nearly the successful offensive pedigree that Holgorsen brought to West Virginia, but the procedure that seems to be in place for the removal of a well respected, genuinely nice guy, as a football coach, but not winning.......eerie.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Reaction Score
Sure, I buy that some players feel relieved that the blame isn't on their shoulders.

P trusted the wrong people? His fault.

P hired GDL who has never been good and doesn't listen to anyone? P's fault.

Oh poor Coach P. Please.

Reaction Score
Sure, I buy that some players feel relieved that the blame isn't on there shoulders.

Oh poor Coach P. Please.

Agreed. He was here 3 seasons, was given an ultimatum heading into this year, was given a new offensive coord and things still didn't change. He should have been gone much sooner than this though..

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sure, I buy that some players feel relieved that the blame isn't on there shoulders.

Oh poor Coach P. Please.

1000% agree. Who's fault is that? He trusted GDL in Cuse and was run out of town. Why would he trust him again?? And then why would he retain him on the staff after years of regression?? Nobody to blame but himself.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm guessing it was P's "connection" Mr. McHugh...
The more I think about it the more I think you're guess is a good one. I hope it wasn't one of the other assistants loyal to P (and most of them were Edsall guys). Might be a former player, though most of those are pro-Edsall / anti-P judging from twitter today. Probably not one of Manuel's assistants. Who else could it be? A player's parent? Andy Blaylock? Doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom