"UCONN belongs in a tougher conference" | Page 6 | The Boneyard

"UCONN belongs in a tougher conference"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How much has Rutgers helped the B1G? In a big business you want to dump any of your smaller companies that aren't doing well, right? Or provide them with additional help in their area because that particular company is not as strong as originally thought?
The B1G doesn't really care about Rutgers, per se. As CL said, they wanted the media rate and they got it. It isn't Rutgers fans watching that they care about - it is those Michigan, Penn State, tOSU etc. alums in the NY area that are signed up for the Big Ten network at the most advantageous rate for the B1G. I think it was Michigan, and I don't remember the sport (football or MBB) but the attendance of Michigan alums was more than Rutgers fans at a game shortly after RU joined the B1G. That says it all.

Actually Rutgers Football will be improving now that Schiano is back (I'm not speaking as a fan, realistically he is a good coach, I'm not claiming RU is going to win the conference). Men's Basketball has had a successful season, Women's Basketball has had one of their best seasons in a number of years, Wrestling is decent, Women's Soccer I believe is ranked, several other sports are actually doing well. The one thing that being in the B1G did for Rutgers was improve recruiting.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When Rutgers joined the B1G, the common wisdom was that the addition of Rutgers would open up the lucrative NYC metropolitan area media market to the B1G. How much that’s actually happened I don’t know.

On Saturdays in the Fall, folks in Wisconsin & Minnesota are watching college football. People in the NYC area have many more options.
Again, how about all those Big 10 Alums watching at the higher rate that the B1G is getting because of the media rights. It was always about the rights, not the Rutgers fans per se.

As to the NYC area, that of course hampers developing RU fans to some degree (a lousy history doesn't help). But the alums of Michigan and tOSU that are in NYC are most definitely interested in watching their team.

Reaction Score
The B1G doesn't really care about Rutgers, per se. As CL said, they wanted the media rate and they got it. It isn't Rutgers fans watching that they care about - it is those Michigan, Penn State, tOSU etc. alums in the NY area that are signed up for the Big Ten network at the most advantageous rate for the B1G. I think it was Michigan, and I don't remember the sport (football or MBB) but the attendance of Michigan alums was more than Rutgers fans at a game shortly after RU joined the B1G. That says it all.

Actually Rutgers Football will be improving now that Schiano is back (I'm not speaking as a fan, realistically he is a good coach, I'm not claiming RU is going to win the conference). Men's Basketball has had a successful season, Women's Basketball has had one of their best seasons in a number of years, Wrestling is decent, Women's Soccer I believe is ranked, several other sports are actually doing well. The one thing that being in the B1G did for Rutgers was improve recruiting.

1--- I'd ask again how much viewership are they getting that UCONN couldn't give? Not arguing on this 1.

2-- Michigan fans coming to RU-- they could come and outnumber UCONN too?

3-- Regarding Schiano - if UCONN were in the B1G - they could've hired him too. Overall RU isn't gong anywhere. They can have an occasional very rare year they do very well- but any year year they do very well- the bigger power teams it would mean they didn't do as well. Thus would fire their coach and hire a bigger name and they would again outspend/outrecruit RU thus becomes the vicious cycle.

4-- Regarding men's basketball at RU - at best RU is middle of the pack, right? Overall in both men's and women's basketball- what has RU accomplished since joining B1G?

5-- UCONN men jump by leaps and bounds in year 1 in Big East. Put them in B1G all programs jump too.

Reaction Score
First off, let me say that given how incredibly well UCONN has played the past week, I would think the BY would be filled with mild euphoria. Color me surprised, and wrong apparently. Numerous folks are not following Geno's excitement about the team, how they progressed, and how proud he is of them. They are actually lamenting the smackdown UCONN put on Marquette. UCONN held Marquette and Villanova to 39 points, and SJU to 41.

Smothering defense both from individual accomplishments, and team defense, and I would argue it's more a testament to our great defense than "lack of quality competition".

Second, it is VERY unlikely that UCONN will EVER make it to a traditional P5 conference. But first let's look at the men's side. 4 teams in and 2 more on the first 4 out/next 4 out. So the BE had the potential to get 6 teams into the big dance. I know there are other "tougher" conferences, but the BE is no slouch on the men's side. So WCBB fans better hope that the women's side of the conference improves and gets better, like the men's side has.

This is UCONN's first year back in the BE. Other coaches have already talked about having to "up" their games both in coaching and in recruiting. The Big East could have gotten 4 teams in - UCONN, DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall if not for Seton Hall's implosion twice against Creighton. Bodes well for the future. Many of the teams in the BE were decimated by injuries early on. There's reason to hope that next season the entire conference will at least be as competitive as a few of the traditional power conferences.

It's going to be a slow roll. I'm hopeful that all the teams in the BE will continue to improve, dedicate resources, get stronger players, and make the BE as competitive as some of the P5 conferences. It never happened in the AAC. I'm hopeful that like the men's side, the women's side can consistently get 4-5 teams into the NCAA's. Seems like UCONN, DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall and at least Villanova are all trending in the right direction. Butler, SJU and Creighton seem like they are working hard to improve. The jury is still out on Georgetown, Xavier and Providence.

Bottom line - this is IT for UCONN.

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night of his charms
That won't get you into... a new conference.
May I ask, which conference is That ?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1--- I'd ask again how much viewership are they getting that UCONN couldn't give? Not arguing on this 1.

2-- Michigan fans coming to RU-- they could come and outnumber UCONN too?

3-- Regarding Schiano - if UCONN were in the B1G - they could've hired him too. Overall RU isn't gong anywhere. They can have an occasional very rare year they do very well- but any year year they do very well- the bigger power teams it would mean they didn't do as well. Thus would fire their coach and hire a bigger name and they would again outspend/outrecruit RU thus becomes the vicious cycle.

4-- Regarding men's basketball at RU - at best RU is middle of the pack, right? Overall in both men's and women's basketball- what has RU accomplished since joining B1G?

5-- UCONN men jump by leaps and bounds in year 1 in Big East. Put them in B1G all programs jump too.
I'm not sure I get some of your points.

Assuming UConn could deliver the same media footprint (I have never understood the viewing regions exactly), UConn would deliver more "new" viewers than Rutgers, as UConn has a much better history and fan support in men's and women's basketball, in particular.

Yes, UConn fans would - or could be - outnumbered at a football game. I don't view either Rutgers or UConn as better able to field a good football team. I don't picture either as being likely to be near the top of a conference with dedicated football programs like Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. That said, Schiano will likely make Rutgers as competitive as it can be at the disadvantages (yes, budget is one) that it faces.

And yes, UConn Men's and Women's basketball programs would be much more competitive than Rutgers (although women's basketball's issue isn't the switch to the B1G, it has been down in general - the B1G is not tougher than the oBE of UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, etc.) Other sports at Rutgers have been either fairly successful or crushed completely, depending mostly on how good they were before, so far as I can tell.

The answer is that the B1G has gotten what it wanted from Rutgers. It might have gotten more from UConn - I wouldn't have chosen either if I was the B1G, I would have gone for teams that ended up elsewhere like Pitt, Cinci, West Virginia, and the like.

Financially, joining the B1G has advantages for Rutgers.

Reaction Score
In order for UConn to make it to a P5 conference, they have to have a P5 football team. That boat has sailed.

The future bodes well for the Big East. Several teams upped their performance this year after playing UConn. And there is reason to believe all the Big East teams will competitively recruit in a larger and more talented pool of athletes.
we've heard the same story regarding the AAC...............I don't see any program in the Big East that will challenge UConn in the near future........I know it's not happening but put UConn in the ACC or SEC and you will see what real competition looks like........

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I get some of your points.

Assuming UConn could deliver the same media footprint (I have never understood the viewing regions exactly), UConn would deliver more "new" viewers than Rutgers, as UConn has a much better history and fan support in men's and women's basketball, in particular.

Yes, UConn fans would - or could be - outnumbered at a football game. I don't view either Rutgers or UConn as better able to field a good football team. I don't picture either as being likely to be near the top of a conference with dedicated football programs like Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, etc. That said, Schiano will likely make Rutgers as competitive as it can be at the disadvantages (yes, budget is one) that it faces.

And yes, UConn Men's and Women's basketball programs would be much more competitive than Rutgers (although women's basketball's issue isn't the switch to the B1G, it has been down in general - the B1G is not tougher than the oBE of UConn, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, etc.) Other sports at Rutgers have been either fairly successful or crushed completely, depending mostly on how good they were before, so far as I can tell.

The answer is that the B1G has gotten what it wanted from Rutgers. It might have gotten more from UConn - I wouldn't have chosen either if I was the B1G, I would have gone for teams that ended up elsewhere like Pitt, Cinci, West Virginia, and the like.

Financially, joining the B1G has advantages for Rutgers.

New Jersey perennially has some of the best high school football players in the country..........Schiano knows how to recruit in state and I think Rutgers will be a competitive program within 2-3 years......

Reaction Score
New Jersey perennially has some of the best high school football players in the country..........Schiano knows how to recruit in state and I think Rutgers will be a competitive program within 2-3 years......
What has Gregg Schiano ever won? He is extremely over rated.

Reaction Score
we've heard the same story regarding the AAC...............I don't see any program in the Big East that will challenge UConn in the near future........I know it's not happening but put UConn in the ACC or SEC and you will see what real competition looks like........

It would mean every team in the ACC and SEC would see what the AAC and BE had to endure as they would suffer the same fate; It would mean they would all wind up playing for 2nd place. :) A rare year for SC could get one.

Reaction Score
What has Gregg Schiano ever won? He is extremely over rated.
not a great coach but a very good recruiter.............he has taken them to six bowl games, winning five of them..........I think they might be a .500 team by this season or next which is pretty much wherer Rutgers should be in their conference.........I don't see UConn reaching that point any time soon in the same conference.......

Reaction Score
It would mean every team in the ACC and SEC would see what the AAC and BE had to endure as they would suffer the same fate; It would mean they would all wind up playing for 2nd place. :) A rare year for SC could get one.
am I mistaken or did UConn loose to an SEC team this season and barely beat two others?

Reaction Score
am I mistaken or did UConn loose to an SEC team this season and barely beat two others?
Am I mistaken or did UCONN beat two other teams in the SEC?
It's nice we can agree they beat two teams. They beat two teams. It's nice the other teams were close but the other 2 teams were beaten.

And we can speculate this is probably the bottom 3rd of the UCONN teams over the past 12-13 years? And the perennial top team in SEC they lost.

To take it a point further how has the best team in the SEC over the past 5-10 yeas done vs UCONN? :)

Reaction Score
I can only assume you mean a few more losses for the top teams in the ACC and SEC. UCONN has been a top 4 team, at least, every year regardless of conference affiliation for over a decade. The whole conference affiliation argument is pure speculation. After watching many games this year and all of the recent B1G conference tournament, I can’t imagine UCONN having had a competitive game except maybe against Maryland, and then only if the Terps offense was as productive against a team that played real team defense.

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I graduated UConn in 64. The State of CT has never really funded or did what it should do over the years to make that place a "Great" university. The State has always wanted to find the cheap way to do things. That is why they hired Geno initially. They had no idea he would build this program to what it has become and were not prepared for that kind of success. From 1961 when I first entered UConn, football was and has always been second rate. They did not want to spend the money. Even with the stadium in E. Hartford, they could not fit 100,000 people. Everything is half buttock. If it wasn't for private donations, there would be no practice center. That fellow roomed across from me when I was there and went on to Law School.

To think that UConn is looked at the same as the other Universities in the Power 5 is ludacris. They are where they belong. And I would bet because these BE schools are small and have religious support group, they are a great place to send a young person for personalized education with small classes.

My folks in 61 sent me there to get me out of Albuquerque and we also had relatives in Hartford. The University of New Mexico would have suited me just fine as well but without the worldly atmosphere for me at UConn at that time. It was a rude awakening for me to be among the "worldly" and wise of the Northeast.
Do you realize the ACC has us ahead of Pitt AND UL?

Reaction Score
He received an 8 year contract at 4MM per. Was promised resources for facilities
and infrastructure upgrades to better compete with other in-conference programs. Brought in a number of transfers.

Reaction Score
Hartley I forgot. Upstate NY nope. Tuck Illinois? That is stretching it, so any player in Eastern and Central time zones and players that haven't arrived yet? If just playing for a BE team mattered wouldn't Tuck go to DePaul or Stewart Syracuse. They went to the coach, the UConn program regardless o
I agree with you its all about the program recruiting the coach. They wont be able to recruit the conference when it's time. The OCC heavy weights wont have any reason to schedule them either.

Reaction Score
We belong in the ACC. But BC will never let us in!!!!
BC is a "so what" member of the ACC. They are not much of a big deal there. I said this years ago, when they bolted for the ACC. BC was low on the food chain in Boston as a sports team. BC's big draw is hockey, as it has always been. Football has never taken off, even though they have had reasonably decent seasons. BC, Cuse, West VA, Rutgers, Pitt, ND should have stayed in BE, but that's an old dead horse.

Reaction Score
I can only assume you mean a few more losses for the top teams in the ACC and SEC. UCONN has been a top 4 team, at least, every year regardless of conference affiliation for over a decade. The whole conference affiliation argument is pure speculation. After watching many games this year and all of the recent B1G conference tournament, I can’t imagine UCONN having had a competitive game except maybe against Maryland, and then only if the Terps offense was as productive against a team that played real team defense.
the poor shooting games that UConn had in conference in the past few years (Tulane, Central Florida etc.) would more likely be losses if they were playing against competitive teams like Louisville, South Carolina, Notre Dame (well not this year) NC State, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky etc........

Reaction Score
Am I mistaken or did UCONN beat two other teams in the SEC?
It's nice we can agree they beat two teams. They beat two teams. It's nice the other teams were close but the other 2 teams were beaten.

And we can speculate this is probably the bottom 3rd of the UCONN teams over the past 12-13 years? And the perennial top team in SEC they lost.

To take it a point further how has the best team in the SEC over the past 5-10 yeas done vs UCONN? :)
so you think UCONN would have gone undefeated in the ACC or SEC for 10 years plus? I think even Geno would say highly unlikely............

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
so you think UCONN would have gone undefeated in the ACC or SEC for 10 years plus? I think even Geno would say highly unlikely............
How many years in the AAC, plus this year. In the big 10 maybe. Other conferences also dominant. Last year the weakest since 2006 maybe lost 3 only.

Reaction Score
I would say there's zero chance UConn would be 160-0 in conference play during the last eight seasons. I don't think they would lose very many games in another conference though. Of those 160 wins I think all but a handful were by double digits. The ones that weren't double digits we can assume would be losses in a tough conference. Look we spent years in the toughest basketball conference around and kicked the crap out of those teams year in year out before they got scared of the power of UConn basketball and fled to other conferences. People act like we've never played so-called P5 teams when the reality is we have and we spent decades doing to them what we did to the AAC. South Carolina is the best of the best of the SEC and we're what 10-1 against them in recent years? ND is the best of the best of the ACC and we're what 40-11 against them with most of the losses coming from a decade ago? I mean who exactly do we think is going to pose the big challenge in another conference? Maybe the Phoenix Mercury or Minnesota Lynx?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would say there's zero chance UConn would be 160-0 in conference play during the last eight seasons. I don't think they would lose very many games in another conference though. Of those 160 wins I think all but a handful were by double digits. The ones that weren't double digits we can assume would be losses in a tough conference. Look we spent years in the toughest basketball conference around and kicked the crap out of those teams year in year out before they got scared of the power of UConn basketball and fled to other conferences. People act like we've never played so-called P5 teams when the reality is we have and we spent decades doing to them what we did to the AAC. South Carolina is the best of the best of the SEC and we're what 10-1 against them in recent years? ND is the best of the best of the ACC and we're what 40-11 against them with most of the losses coming from a decade ago? I mean who exactly do we think is going to post the big challenge in another conference? Maybe the Phoenix Mercury or Minnesota Lynx?
You are probably correct, but if you look at the best teams in conference play over the past ten years, they may change, but the best team quite frequently ends conference play at 16-0 - the team may change year to year, but they seldom lose. And the difference is Uconn has been better than that best team in most of the conferences every year (with the exception of perhaps the last two. SC Uconn 7-1 since 2015 (Dawn era), ND 8-2 since they went ACC, Louisville 5-1 since ACC, Oregon 3-1, Oregon State 2-0, Stanford 5-1 since 2011. The only truly competitive team has been Baylor at 4-4, but then Kim has also been know to pause series when she doesn't think the B12 can compete with Uconn.

Reaction Score

But it's not what I said. This isn't what I first posted to you. I was not disagreeing with your 1st post that I replied to you on.

What I said was the other teams would come in 2nd place (not that UCONN would go undefeated). That's why I reacted as I did about the two games which you used the word "barely" to describe the wins. I was replying- implying -through the bold - highlighting the words beat/beaten.- That if the other teams are going to come in 2nd place - then who cares about "barely?" They lose- they come in 2nd. The other teams are going to have to endure playing for 2nd many, many years (and I'm not speaking of say "10 years consecutive etc" - I'm not going to get into that other than the vast, vast majority of the seasons UCONN is coming in 1st). That's what the SEC would have to endure.

I also acknowledged a rare year SC can take the conference. They beat us last year. And we lost this year to a SEC team. I'm not going to think that UCONN will go undefeated for 5-10 years if UCONN has been beaten the last two. Not that I would think that anyway. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom