UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 74 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
So on the 20th PG has Daniel Margolies as committed to UConn and on 10/1 he's considered uncommitted. Did something happen in that span of time?

Reaction Score
So on the 20th PG has Daniel Margolies as committed to UConn and on 10/1 he's considered uncommitted. Did something happen in that span of time?

Daniel Margolies twitter account has him as committed to UConn, so I would go by that. I have found that recruiting websites are not always up to date on commitments.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Daniel Margolies twitter account has him as committed to UConn, so I would go by that. I have found that recruiting websites are not always up to date on commitments.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Evan Hamberger’s Freshman year stats @ Spokane Falls (WA) CC (from Belgrade Montana):

Reaction Score
UConn has another commitment from the high school class of 2025.
Traigh Skiffington, a RHP from East Long Meadow High School. His twitter account shows him as having committed to UConn baseball.

<2022 FALL CONNECTICUT SHOWCASE

Traigh Skiffington is a 2025 RHP/UT with a 6-0 180 lb. frame from East Longmeadow, MA who attends East Longmeadow. Medium, athletic frame with square shoulders and plenty of room to fill throughout moving forward. Ran a 7.51 60-yard dash. Right-handed pitcher, full windup on the mound with a fluid operation, belt high hand set with a knee raise to chest, consistent tempo throughout and repeats mechanics. Clean and quick arm action through the backside, works to an extended slot and did a nice job of living down in the zone to miss bats and induce weak contact. Fastball topped out at 85 mph, consistent running life out of the hand. Shows command of three pitches and mixes them with intent to keep hitters off balance at the plate. Slider shows 10-4 shape with horizontal tilt through the zone and maintained arm speed up to 76 mph; flashed a changeup which he turns over with some conviction up to 74 mph to generate tumbling life to the bottom of the zone. Nice present feel and projects well moving forward. Very good student. Named to the Fall Connecticut Top Prospect List.>

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that recruiting commitments for UConn that were reported on this thread were a bit slow this summer, but recruiting commitments for the Huskies seemed to have picked up quite a bit this fall.

With LHP Evan Hamberger recently committing to UConn, the Huskies now have 4 left handed pitchers committed to joining the team for the 2024 fall ball season. And of course, recruiting for that time period is certainly not over, so we'll see if the team adds any more lefty pitchers. Together with all the LHP recruits that joined the team this fall, definitely seems that UConn baseball has put more of an emphasis on bringing in lefty pitchers. Certainly nothing wrong with this.

It will be interesting to see that with Hamberger committing to UConn, it will be interesting to see if UConn starts to bring in more JUCO players. Possible that the number of Grad Transfers may diminish some now that we are getting away from the 2020/2021 Covid exclusion seasons where players were granted extra seasons of eligibility for playing time due to the pandemic. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that recruiting commitments for UConn that were reported on this thread were a bit slow this summer, but recruiting commitments for the Huskies seemed to have picked up quite a bit this fall.

With LHP Evan Hamberger recently committing to UConn, the Huskies now have 4 left handed pitchers committed to joining the team for the 2024 fall ball season. And of course, recruiting for that time period is certainly not over, so we'll see if the team adds any more lefty pitchers. Together with all the LHP recruits that joined the team this fall, definitely seems that UConn baseball has put more of an emphasis on bringing in lefty pitchers. Certainly nothing wrong with this.

It will be interesting to see that with Hamberger committing to UConn, it will be interesting to see if UConn starts to bring in more JUCO players. Possible that the number of Grad Transfers may diminish some now that we are getting away from the 2020/2021 Covid exclusion seasons where players were granted extra seasons of eligibility for playing time due to the pandemic. We'll see what happens.
I suspect you are right about your last point. D3 grad transfers spiked due to COVID eligibility rules and juco transfers took a back seat. With COVID eligibility years getting pretty much flushed through the system after this year we will likely see the recruiting of old where we bring in West Coast juco guys to supplement the freshmen classes.

Reaction Score

It appears that Aidan Dougherty initially committed to Oregon State, but ended up going to Linn-Benton Community College in Oregon. The Linn-Benton baseball website lists his position as Infield/Outfield.

That is the second recruit UConn baseball has gotten this fall from the JUCO ranks in the Pacific Northwest.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
It appears that Aidan Dougherty initially committed to Oregon State, but ended up going to Linn-Benton Community College in Oregon. The Linn-Benton baseball website lists his position as Infield/Outfield.

That is the second recruit UConn baseball has gotten this fall from the JUCO ranks in the Pacific Northwest.
Linn Benton is a feeder school for the Beavers. They park kids there that they are interested in but don't think are ready yet as freshman or sophomores. They wanted to do that with my neighbor's kid.

Reaction Score
Linn Benton is a feeder school for the Beavers. They park kids there that they are interested in but don't think are ready yet as freshman or sophomores. They wanted to do that with my neighbor's kid.

I would guess that’s fairly common across most D1 programs with community colleges or schools that are w/in their location…are you suggesting that the Uconn signee wasn’t deemed adequate for the Oregon St. program? Were there other issues as to why he didn’t end up there?

Reaction Score
I would guess that’s fairly common across most D1 programs with community colleges or schools that are w/in their location…are you suggesting that the Uconn signee wasn’t deemed adequate for the Oregon St. program? Were there other issues as to why he didn’t end up there?
Highly doubt he was not 'deemed adequate' or there were 'other issues'. Are kids who transfer from UConn after not playing their Freshmen year not deemed adequate for the program?

All top end D1 baseball teams over recruit. 11.7 scholarships, 27 man travel rosters, 35 man spring rosters... It's a game of numbers and depth.

The kid was on campus on the fall season at Oregon State and likely saw the light that PT would be at a premium and chose that it was in his best interest to get to a juco program get lots of PT and continue to develop.

Reaction Score
Do you know what his offer list looked like prior to committing to UConn?
Offer list in baseball is 1- usually not publicized and 2- really does not matter.

11.7 scholarships mean an offer from one school is never really equivalent money wise to an offer from another. With D1 teams only allowed to have up to 27 players receiving some scholarship money, there are some really good baseball players that are non-scholarship players on D1 teams.

There are also roster issues that each athlete needs to consider before commiting. A coach on one team may guarantee a kid a travel roster spot while another coach can't guarantee the kid will make it past fall roster cut downs.

Reaction Score
Highly doubt he was not 'deemed adequate' or there were 'other issues'. Are kids who transfer from UConn after not playing their Freshmen year not deemed adequate for the program?

All top end D1 baseball teams over recruit. 11.7 scholarships, 27 man travel rosters, 35 man spring rosters... It's a game of numbers and depth.

The kid was on campus on the fall season at Oregon State and likely saw the light that PT would be at a premium and chose that it was in his best interest to get to a juco program get lots of PT and continue to develop.
Perhaps I could have worded it better, however, the bottom line is talent. Money talks and so does talent which drives it. Everything you detailed is completely sensical and knowledgeable. The point I was making w/out beating around the bush is simply, if the talent was at the level deemed “adequate” for Oregon State’s program ( big time bb program) he’d be a Beaver!

Reaction Score
Offer list in baseball is 1- usually not publicized and 2- really does not matter.

11.7 scholarships mean an offer from one school is never really equivalent money wise to an offer from another. With D1 teams only allowed to have up to 27 players receiving some scholarship money, there are some really good baseball players that are non-scholarship players on D1 teams.

There are also roster issues that each athlete needs to consider before commiting. A coach on one team may guarantee a kid a travel roster spot while another coach can't guarantee the kid will make it past fall roster cut downs.

Offer lists are routinely made public in many sports, how often that applies to baseball, idk. But Offer Lists are Extremely relevant when looking at recruiting. Extremely!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score

What’s the Fedco reference? Was his offer list filled w/ big time offers? I’m genuinely asking… otherwise I’m not sure where ur going with this. I don’t think Christian Fedko was a bad player, maybe he didn’t live up to baseball expectations. Idk what ur beating around the bush with lol. If he thought he sucked, just say it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom