Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
You may very well be right, but it could be that a bunch of good programs’ staffs are ashambles this year.

Chris Jones has said a number of times during game broadcasts that run production is up all over college baseball. He mentioned that Coach Mac has said the baseball used in college ball is harder, slippery, and the seems are not as high, and this does not favor pitchers.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones has said a number of times during game broadcasts that run production is up all over college baseball. He mentioned that Coach Mac has said the baseball used in college ball is harder, slippery, and the seems are not as high, and this does not favor pitchers.

UConn currently has a team ERA of 5.05, which puts them at No. 74 in Division 1. Only 16 teams in Division 1 currently have an ERA under 4.00.

Reaction Score
Ehh, I hear ya but I also dont think we are the #9 team in the country either. I'd say we are in the 15 range.
It's not just this year though, the past several years they've had us consistently DRASTICALLY lower than the other polls. Remember how much longer it took us to break into the top 25 on BA vs the other polls either last year or the year before?

Reaction Score
It's not just this year though, the past several years they've had us consistently DRASTICALLY lower than the other polls. Remember how much longer it took us to break into the top 25 on BA vs the other polls either last year or the year before?
Yes no question about that, BA has always been much lower than the others.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win a bunch of games to take the Big East regular season title. I'm thinking going 7-2 should give them a good chance at the regular season title, but sweeping at least 2 of the remaining Big East weekend series would certainly improve their changes. Obviously they need to take the last series against Creighton.

The two other main contenders for the Big East regular season title, Creighton and Xavier, play each other in Omaha. That will make things interesting as well. UConn of course concludes the regular season with a series at Creighton as well. Next week Creighton plays at Seton Hall, the team UConn is playing this weekend.

After playing Creighton this weekend, Xavier concludes their Big East schedule playing at St. John's and hosting Georgetown. Considering the Hoyas and Xavier both are offensive focused clubs that play in home field band boxes, that has the possibility of being an interesting offensive display.

Reaction Score
UConn sticks @ #9 in this weeks NCAA/D1Baseball Poll.

UConn up a few spots to #21 in Baseball America Top 25;

-> Last week: 3-0
Overall: 35-11, 11-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 10-0-2
Results
May 5-7:
Seton Hall: W 10-7, W 3-2 (11), W 15-9
Upcoming
May 10:
Hofstra
May 12-14: Butler

UConn this weekend swept Seton Hall, but it was far from easy. The Huskies came from behind to win in each of their three games, headlined by Saturday’s 11-inning, series-clinching victory in which Jake Studley hit a walkoff single. UConn has yet to lose a series this season and sits atop the Big East standings with a conference record of 11-3. This week it takes on Hofstra before a series with last-place Butler<-

Reaction Score
Crazy, I know, but just curious what folks think about a playoff rotation that looks something like:

Fogell
Quigley
Kirby

With Sears and Cooke in long relief.

I know Fogells strength has been largely based on his move to RP but hes been getting outs like it’s nothing. Super efficient and seemingly effortless. Quiggers is a solid Saturday guy. Kirby is generally efficient, pitches to contact, and is accustomed to extended appearances.

Totally crazy?

Rationale: Jonesy always mentions how many comeback wins we have this year, and it truly is impressive. The flip side of that is how often we get behind, and this is against non-regional type teams. It’s not a winning formula for playoff baseball, imo. Just wondering if Penders and co are secretly thinking the same and cooking something up.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Crazy, I know, but just curious what folks think about a playoff rotation that looks something like:

Fogell
Quigley
Kirby

I know Fogells strength has been largely based on his move to RP but hes been getting outs like it’s nothing. Super efficient and seemingly effortless. Quiggers is a solid Saturday guy. Kirby is generally efficient, pitches to contact, and is accustomed to extended appearances.

Totally crazy?
Totally crazy

Reaction Score
UConn up a few spots to #21 in Baseball America Top 25;

-> Last week: 3-0
Overall: 35-11, 11-3 in Big East (0-1 vs. Top 25)
Weekend Record: 10-0-2
Results
May 5-7:
Seton Hall: W 10-7, W 3-2 (11), W 15-9
Upcoming
May 10:
Hofstra
May 12-14: Butler

UConn this weekend swept Seton Hall, but it was far from easy. The Huskies came from behind to win in each of their three games, headlined by Saturday’s 11-inning, series-clinching victory in which Jake Studley hit a walkoff single. UConn has yet to lose a series this season and sits atop the Big East standings with a conference record of 11-3. This week it takes on Hofstra before a series with last-place Butler<-
UConn dropped from 9 to 10 in the USA Today Coaches Poll (Duke jumped from 10 to 8 after taking 2 of 3 from UVA):

Reaction Score

Fogell
Quigley
Kirby

Totally crazy?

Rationale: Jonesy always mentions how many comeback wins we have this year, and it truly is impressive. The flip side of that is how often we get behind, and this is against non-regional type teams. It’s not a winning formula for playoff baseball, imo. Just wondering if Penders and co are secretly thinking the same and cooking something up.

The time to experiment like this is during the season, and not during the playoffs. Seriously doubt it will happen at this point in the season, you would need someone to take over for Fogell and Kirby in the bullpen as well. Wonder when the last time either Fogell or Kirby was used as a starting pitcher by any team.

Reaction Score
The time to experiment like this is during the season, and not during the playoffs. Seriously doubt it will happen at this point in the season, you would need someone to take over for Fogell and Kirby in the bullpen as well. Wonder when the last time either Fogell or Kirby was used as a starting pitcher by any team.
Fogell was a starter for Brown, but he has been much better as a reliever.

At any rate, the verdict is in: crazy. Here’s hoping our SPs can get hot at the right time.

Reaction Score
Ever since I started following UConn baseball closely, pretty much the year to year strength of the team has been the starting pitching, which at times pretty much carried the team. That is certainly not the case this season, but the team still is making a good run for possibly hosting a regional despite this. Going into this season, for a change pace for UConn baseball no one really knew what to expect from the starting pitching. The starting pitchers have shown some good flashed from time to time, but certainly not on a consistent basis. These flashes by the starting pitchers do provide a little hope for improvement as we go along, but we'll see what happens. This team produces plenty of offense up and down the batting order, and I certainly agree with Coach Penders on this being the best defensive team he has had since he became head coach of UConn Baseball.

Reaction Score
Ever since I started following UConn baseball closely, pretty much the year to year strength of the team has been the starting pitching, which at times pretty much carried the team. That is certainly not the case this season, but the team still is making a good run for possibly hosting a regional despite this. Going into this season, for a change pace for UConn baseball no one really knew what to expect from the starting pitching. The starting pitchers have shown some good flashed from time to time, but certainly not on a consistent basis. These flashes by the starting pitchers do provide a little hope for improvement as we go along, but we'll see what happens. This team produces plenty of offense up and down the batting order, and I certainly agree with Coach Penders on this being the best defensive team he has had since he became head coach of UConn Baseball.
All true. But coming off their freshmen seasons, there is no way that I thought we'd have gotten as little from Cooke and Sullivan as we have to date. We know they can both pitch. We saw them have outstandingly promising first seasons. If they can get their form back, even adjusted for the general increase in offenses this year, our chances for the post-season would be much better.

Reaction Score
All true. But coming off their freshmen seasons, there is no way that I thought we'd have gotten as little from Cooke and Sullivan as we have to date. We know they can both pitch. We saw them have outstandingly promising first seasons. If they can get their form back, even adjusted for the general increase in offenses this year, our chances for the post-season would be much better.
I've seen Cookie in person several times including fall ball. His velocity is fine and I like his breaking stuff (when he can locate it). The issue is the movement (or lack thereof) on his fastball. Quite simply his fastball is too straight. If he can find some movement on the hard stuff I feel you would see a step change in results. Regarding Sully, obviously, it's location, location, location. The other night he got dinked and dunked early. Everything found a hole. I thought he was throwing well. However, he couldn't get through it, Hofstra started barreling balls forcing Penders to make the early change. At present SQuigs is the most reliable and Sears has a high ceiling. Cookie and Sully it's like betting red/black down at Mohegan. Who knows. Coe seems to have found his niche in long relief. However, in tourney format, you can get away with that ONE time. Then Coe is done for that stage. You can't have 2-3 blow-up starts. I don't want to be a buzzkill but the starting pitching is really bothering me. It's overshadowing all the good stuff because it's looming like a dark cloud over tourney time. Coach Mac being unable to fix this is worrisome. Means it's a real problem. He's the best there is and it's no better than it was in Feb.

Reaction Score
Cooke really is a hard one to figure out. I remember this board including myself being so excited going into the deciding game against Maryland last year knowing we had Cooke to fall back on. This year really is puzzling, but we do know that both he and Sullivan have it in them. Maybe they can get it turned around just in time for when we need them most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom