Men - UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't think they had the pitching to advance so I'm not surprised but I was hopeful they would advance to Super Regionals. Good season none the less. I will miss baseball but on to football.

Reaction Score
The season is over for UConn baseball. Now the summer kicks in, where the main things to follow concerning UConn baseball will be how UConn players do in summer ball, and the recruiting of new players. It will be interesting to see what transfers come into the program in addition to the freshmen recruits.

Reaction Score
Ah well. Another unbelievable year. I tried to keep my posting to a minimum this season for mojo reasons, as I discovered towards the end of last season the team played better when I wasn’t posting here.

That said, and I think I can share this publicly now that it’s over, I did not think this year’s team was particularly close to last year’s team in terms of talent and potential. Most of the season felt like we were winning more so on grit and luck (which, to be fair, are very important factors) rather than talent. While obviously good, I never felt that this year’s team would be super competitive with the best squads in the country, as I very strongly did last season.

Still, so, so proud of them for having the year that they did anyway. We continue to prove our worth in the national picture, though for me at least, that chip of being doubted simply because of geography will never go away, even when we get to Omaha one of these years. It does seem like the national perception’s come a long way, but I’ll never lose that edge I think all of us who played baseball north of the Mason-Dixon Line feel inherently.

Until 2024! Cannot wait to see who’s back, who’s chasing their pro dreams, who transfers in, and who from the vaunted recruiting class lines up to make an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
The season is over for UConn baseball.

Take a breather - well done!

1685904265390.gif

Reaction Score
Quick thoughts while fresh:
1) Coe looks to be ok from my view. Was standing on dugout railing rest of game. If it was structurally serious that’s not happening but I’m not a doctor. Got hit hard and heard the thud.
2) we discussed last week Cagliaone can wreck a game and he did. Wind was blowing in also so those HRs were bombs. florida fan in my row literally called the 2nd HR when Quinn was warming up. “First pitch fastball he’s hitting it out to right center”. Boom. he quoted some stat of his on first pitch fastballs and was stunned UConn did it.
3) at 1-1 if felt pretty good all things considered until the 3 run homer then that was the separation Florida needed then cruise control.
4) pre-injury Coe was playing with fire hitting guys, walking guys and not getting ahead. When he is throwing strikes the guy is tough to hit.
5) in a head nod to Fairfield city fan they are going to have to figure out this pitching if they have higher aspirations. 7 walks, 2 HBP and numerous batters behind in the count. Can’t keep living like this. Need to determine who they keep who they add and get it fixed.
6) 17Ks. That’s what happens when there is late movement and you don’t see it all year. Don’t see it with UMBC, Villanova, St. Johns etc. mid game contact and ABs were much better but then it faded later in a big way which suprised me. Had a couple of innings where there were opportunities but then couldn’t make contact in any big spot. Couldn’t put game pressure on Florida.
7) re: Florida a lot of talent and great pitching. They’ll need to get down and dirty if they want to make a deep run this year. wind probably kept a couple balls in the park today but the lineup as a whole there needs to be better.
8) Freeberger plays a hell of a 3B. Put on a show all weekend.

Reaction Score
Offense scored 4 runs in 18 innings against power conference pitching. That wouldn’t have gotten it done last year, with much better pitching and less offense through the NCAA. Offense really let us down the last two weekends in the postseason.

That having been said, this team had an amazing season given its personnel. I didn’t think they’d be better in RPI this year than last year, but what we did was consistently score enough to win against good but not great opposition. Unfortunately, when the opposition got tougher, unlike last year we didn’t have the pitching to get it done, but, as I said, we didn’t hit well enough last weekend or this weekend to get it done even if our pitching was healthy.

But we continue to cement ourselves as the best baseball program in the Northeast year in and year out. On to next year.

Reaction Score
Tough ending, but it's been 5 appearances in a row for Penders' team. That's super for a NE D-1 program! Can you imagine if we were in a serious D-1 baseball conference?

Pitching was always suspect this year. No doubt Penders will be thinking about how improvements can made on the trip home today. He's the best and he'll have a plan by tomorrow morning!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Considering what we lost and whom didn't take that next step, this team maximized what it had. Prior to the season, if I told you Cooke, Sullivan and even Afthim did not take a large step forward, Sears struggled most of the year, TC was hurt and lost his spot, Morton didn't elevate to his potential, Padilla stayed the same and Garbowski struggled, making the tournament would have been considered a monumental achievement.
To me, Kirby, Coe and Willis epitomize UConn baseball. I will miss them tremendously. Fogell was a fantastic get and Quigley fulfilled his role.
Huber, Smith and Studley were really good. We have some finds in Tammaro, Daniels and Dalena. I think Kron can contribute. The key will be to find a Friday night guy, closer and a long guy. The other pieces are there. The future is bright.

Reaction Score
Considering what we lost and whom didn't take that next step, this team maximized what it had. Prior to the season, if I told you Cooke, Sullivan and even Afthim did not take a large step forward, Sears struggled most of the year, TC was hurt and lost his spot, Morton didn't elevate to his potential, Padilla stayed the same and Garbowski struggled, making the tournament would have been considered a monumental achievement.
To me, Kirby, Coe and Willis epitomize UConn baseball. I will miss them tremendously. Fogell was a fantastic get and Quigley fulfilled his role.
Huber, Smith and Studley were really good. We have some finds in Tammaro, Daniels and Dalena. I think Kron can contribute. The key will be to find a Friday night guy, closer and a long guy. The other pieces are there. The future is bright.
Let's not forget Freeberger. He was a great surprise addition to the team. And defensively I believe Padilla regressed a bit especially down the stretch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Freeberger. He was a great surprise addition to the team. And defensively I believe Padilla regressed a bit especially down the stretch.
To me Freeburger was Erik Stock - a really talented player who put up some amazing numbers. Played a great 3rd base.

Reaction Score
Penders w/ a classy move (not that that alone is a big surprise) w/ a cool shout out for Chris Brown in his season wrap-up.

Yes, a nice bit on Chris Brown, no doubt about it.

Reaction Score

Updated w/ post game quotes…^^^

-> “It was a tough day for the Huskies,” coach Jim Penders told reporters in Gainesville. “That doesn’t take away anything from our season. We competed with one of the best teams. … Proud of the way we fought. <-

-> “We failed in our ultimate goal,” captain David Smith said, “but the season is never a failure when you’re wearing the ‘hook C.’ You’re part of something bigger than yourself.” <-

-> “The guys (who are leaving) just left the program that much better than they found it,” Penders said. “They enriched it. I’m so glad to have coached them, so proud of who they are.” <-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom