Men - UConn Baseball 2022 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2022

Reaction Score
I’d love to have gone, but have work sadly. Will have to try and make it out at the first home series.

May try to sneak up on Tuesday afternoon. I’m trying to remember, is this the actual Grand Opening of Elliot to the public? I know there were some games at the end of last season but I seem to remember them not being fully open to all fans.

Reaction Score
May try to sneak up on Tuesday afternoon. I’m trying to remember, is this the actual Grand Opening of Elliot to the public? I know there were some games at the end of last season but I seem to remember them not being fully open to all fans.
Not sure. I saw a Georgetown game in April 2021 from the berm. Not full by any stretch but I was able to attend since I was visiting from out of town. I don't have season tickets and am far from a VIP.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball has not had any midweek games the first two weeks of the season. They have their first midweek game scheduled next Tuesday against Hartford, so that will provide a change to the progression of the season. The most interesting thing will be to see who will get the midweek starts in the coming weeks. I would think that someone who gets midweek starts in March could possibly become a weekend starter in April when the Big East Conference games start up. It will be interesting to see who gets the midweek start. One would think that starting a game in the midweek would probably limit weekend appearances, especially if the pitcher is able to go several innings in their midweek start.

UConn has a number of midweek games coming up that could very well be tougher than their Big East weekend games. At this point I would like to see Ian Cooke get a chance to show what he can do in a starting pitching role. Still, the general rule in the past has been that a team wants its best pitchers available to pitch in weekend conference games. Of course, if Cooke doesn't move into the weekend starting rotation in April for Big East games, he could very well end up back in the bullpen where he could play a very big role.

Reaction Score
I would think that someone who gets midweek starts in March could possibly become a weekend starter in April when the Big East Conference games start up.

You confused me… why would we change the current Friday/Saturday/Sunday starting rotation when Conference games begin?

Conference weekends are back to 3 games…

Reaction Score
I agree with his premise that some of the mid week games like BC and Bryant will be bigger RPI games than Gtown and Nova. But at this point if it ain’t broke you don’t fix weekend rotation.

Cooke should get the mid week look and hope you can piece together an inning here and there from several folks but goal should be he can give you five or six mid week. Brendan O’Donnell returns that should give you another pen option not at your disposal first two weekends

Reaction Score
You confused me… why would we change the current Friday/Saturday/Sunday starting rotation when Conference games begin?

Conference weekends are back to 3 games…

Obviously nothing wrong with how the weekend rotation is currently panning out. To me having Cooke as the midweek starter in March is more a prep move in case something happens such as a possible injury. I just want him to be ready if a move is needed.

I'm also thinking Cooke very well might be a weekend starter next season, so it might be good to get him some experience starting college games.

Reaction Score
Obviously nothing wrong with how the weekend rotation is currently panning out. To me having Cooke as the midweek starter in March is more a prep move in case something happens such as a possible injury. I just want him to be ready if a move is needed.

I'm also thinking Cooke very well might be a weekend starter next season, so it might be good to get him some experience starting college games.

Oh… I agree that Cooke may be/should be a mid-week starter, I was just confused when you said the mid-week starter could become the weekend starter in April for conference games.

Reaction Score
Oh… I agree that Cooke may be/should be a mid-week starter, I was just confused when you said the mid-week starter could become the weekend starter in April for conference games.

UConn also has several midweek games against quality teams, which would be another reason to use Cooke in the midweek starting role.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I still think Garrett Coe will be in the mid week mix.

Reaction Score
I still think Garrett Coe will be in the mid week mix.

It would not surprise meat at all to see Garrett Coe get some midweek starts. The way the schedule is laid out, UConn will need two midweek starters four times. Plus, should Ian Cooke end up as one of the midweek starters, there is always a chance he might get pulled into the weekend starting rotation if there is an injury to one of the weekend starters. It seems to be a rare thing for all three weekend starters to actually make all their starts.

Also during last season, Chris Jones said during game broadcast that thought Coe might end up seeing time as a midweek starter in 2022.

Reaction Score

I doubt this would be regarded as the grand opening. According to the UConn Game Notes for this games against FIU this weekend, UConn baseball had crowds of 1,094, 1,131, and 1,445 last May in games against Seton Hall.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This California trip will be huge for our profile. Play well, win our series and word will be out. If not, then it goes back to winning the Big East.

Reaction Score
Ditto for Baseball America Top 25 Poll (3/7/22)

“Four new teams join the Top 25 this week. Gonzaga enters at No. 19 after beating Oklahoma State twice in Stillwater. North Carolina and Clemson follow at Nos. 20 and 21 after sweeping Coastal Carolina and South Carolina, respectively. Tulane enters at No. 23 and makes its first appearance in the Top 25 since the final ranking of 2016.

Dropping out of the Top 25 are Long Beach State, Miami, Mississippi State and Sacramento State.”

Reaction Score

Couple of notes…

That H/H on the books later in the year can be a big boost: “Northeastern: The Huskies were the preseason favorites in the Colonial Athletic Association, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised by this. But they went on the road this past weekend and made a massive statement, sweeping No. 8 NC State and outscoring them 20-6 in three games. In addition to the series win, Mike Glavine’s Huskies silenced hard-hitting Tommy White. The slugger went just 1-for-10 for the weekend with … yep, no home runs.”

“Connecticut: It should never come as a surprise when the Huskies get rolling early in the season. Josh MacDonald’s pitching staff is rocking and rolling right now, and they allowed just three runs in three games against FIU on the road this past weekend. On the flip side, the offense was clicking on all cylinders, too, scoring 28 runs in the series sweep. UConn is now 8-1.”

Reaction Score
27 on this one, which no one has heard of but is a poll rather than an arbitrary ranking

Attachments

• 327E625F-4425-4FD6-9E25-3A13205CE953.png
    327E625F-4425-4FD6-9E25-3A13205CE953.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
Reaction Score
We moved from 47 to 49 on College Baseball Nation's ranking lol. We really need to just keep up the winning ways, and make a strong push in California.

Reaction Score
Pondering who may get the start on the mound in what looks like will be a staff day when UConn plays its home opener against Hartford tomorrow. Coach Penders sounds like he wants to give a bunch of innings to guys that didn't see the mound this past weekend, or just haven't seen much or any mound action in general. Here is my out of the blue guess which very well could be wrong, but my pick would be Hector Alejandro. According to the preseason interviews, he was trained as a starter in the preseason, so he would be a good a candidate as any to start off the proceedings tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom