39 South Alabama
40 Cal Poly

38. Connecticut
Head Coach:
Jim Penders
Conference: American Athletic
2017 Record: 33-25 (14-10 American)
2017 Finish: Did not play in postseason

UConn has some interesting talent scattered across their roster, with a pair of promising starters and two key pieces up the middle on defense. The weekend staff has three lefthanders, the first two of which are highly-touted prospects for both this year’s draft and next. Tim Cate will go Fridays, with very good command of a fastball/curveball 1-2 punch, and his curveball is one of the single best pitches available in this year’s draft class. Sophomore Mason Feole will go on Saturdays, armed with a 1-2 punch on his own that includes a changeup. The third lefty is Chase Gardner, a 6-foot-6, 240-pound transfer that went 7-1 with a 2.56 ERA in 14 starts at Marin last spring. P.J. Poulin, who made 19 appearances a year ago, including five starts, is expected to be the team’s closer this year. Shortstop Anthony Prato and catcher Zac Susi are the top returning position players for the Huskies, and the coaching staff is predicting a big season out of Susi after he stood out on the Cape last summer. The team has returning players at nearly every position other than third base, a position previously occupied by three-year starter Willie Yahn.

Reaction Score
Perfect Game Preseason Baseball Rankings 26-40
UCF
27 Southern Miss
28 Auburn
29 West Virginia
30 Vanderbilt
31 Virginia
32 Dallas Baptist
33 South Florida
34 Louisiana
35 Missouri State
36 South Carolina
37 Arizona
38 UConn
39 South Alabama
40 Cal Poly

38. Connecticut
Head Coach:
Jim Penders
Conference: American Athletic
2017 Record: 33-25 (14-10 American)
2017 Finish: Did not play in postseason

UConn has some interesting talent scattered across their roster, with a pair of promising starters and two key pieces up the middle on defense. The weekend staff has three lefthanders, the first two of which are highly-touted prospects for both this year’s draft and next. Tim Cate will go Fridays, with very good command of a fastball/curveball 1-2 punch, and his curveball is one of the single best pitches available in this year’s draft class. Sophomore Mason Feole will go on Saturdays, armed with a 1-2 punch on his own that includes a changeup. The third lefty is Chase Gardner, a 6-foot-6, 240-pound transfer that went 7-1 with a 2.56 ERA in 14 starts at Marin last spring. P.J. Poulin, who made 19 appearances a year ago, including five starts, is expected to be the team’s closer this year. Shortstop Anthony Prato and catcher Zac Susi are the top returning position players for the Huskies, and the coaching staff is predicting a big season out of Susi after he stood out on the Cape last summer. The team has returning players at nearly every position other than third base, a position previously occupied by three-year starter Willie Yahn.

Of course, aside from Prato, Susi, and Feldstein, many of these returning players didn't do too much hitting last season. Some of these players such as Winkel need to take a great leap forward with the bat. If they do, it could be quite a year.

Reaction Score
Of course, aside from Prato, Susi, and Feldstein, many of these returning players didn't do too much hitting last season. Some of these players such as Winkel need to take a great leap forward with the bat. If they do, it could be quite a year.
Who do you think will get first shot at 3b and DH

Reaction Score

I really have no idea, but if forced to guess, I would say the junior transfer Mike Woodworth at 3B, although I doubt that is set in stone. Fedko and Moriarty (whoever isn't starting at 2B) would seem to be next in line. I would also guess that fellow JUCO Thad Phillips will get time at either DH or 1B when he isn't backing up Susi at catcher. Given what he did with his bat during the summer and the homer he hit at the alumni game in the fall, I'd like to see Ben Maycock get a chance at DH. To be honest, there seem to be a number of players who could end up at DH.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really have no idea, but if forced to guess, I would say the junior transfer Mike Woodworth at 3B, although I doubt that is set in stone. Fedko and Moriarty (whoever isn't starting at 2B) would seem to be next in line. I would also guess that fellow JUCO Thad Phillips will get time at either DH or 1B when he isn't backing up Susi at catcher. Given what he did with his bat during the summer and the homer he hit at the alumni game in the fall, I'd like to see Ben Maycock get a chance at DH. To be honest, there seem to be a number of players who could end up at DH.
Thanks for providing some hot stove UCONN baseball.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Chase Gardner could be an impact player. He and Texas's Nolan Kingham were the best pitchers in the west coast summer league Gardner played in...if he can becone a Sunday starter with a sub-4.00 ERA, we will have a top 10 weekend pitching staff in baseball.

Reaction Score
This team is as versatile as it gets. Between Fedko, Woodworth and Moriarty I’d expect a lot of platooning early in the season. Winkel is getting reps in the OF and 1st. Thad can catch and play first. I’ve heard Susi and Feldstien have taken reps at first, which is a great coaching move considering how last year Frenchy not being able to play first created a log jam late in the year. Beyond player versatility, team versatility is very good too. There is a ton of pop on the team this year compared to last. I expect the team batting average to increase from last year’s number. There are quite a few burners as well. This is only the position players, the pitching staff may be even more versatile. All the versatility on this team will make things very easy for Penders to mix and match his lineup based on the opponent that week.

Reaction Score
This team is as versatile as it gets. Between Fedko, Woodworth and Moriarty I’d expect a lot of platooning early in the season. Winkel is getting reps in the OF and 1st. Thad can catch and play first. I’ve heard Susi and Feldstien have taken reps at first, which is a great coaching move considering how last year Frenchy not being able to play first created a log jam late in the year. Beyond player versatility, team versatility is very good too. There is a ton of pop on the team this year compared to last. I expect the team batting average to increase from last year’s number. There are quite a few burners as well. This is only the position players, the pitching staff may be even more versatile. All the versatility on this team will make things very easy for Penders to mix and match his lineup based on the opponent that week.

I have been having similar thoughts on the versatility of this team in the field. Right now it is safe to pencil in Susi at catcher, Prato at shortstop, and Toppa in LF, but that is it for fixed positions. Feldstein will also be a regular if healthy, but where? I like Feldstein getting looks at 1B, considering his leg injury problems last season. Anything to keep him in the lineup and to keep his legs healthy. Susi getting a little time at 1B means that the DH spot can remain more open as well.

But after these players in fixed positions, the rest of the lineup the field seems to be pretty open to competition. There are a number of players who could be in contention for multiple positions For instance, Winkel could end up somewhere in the outfield (including center field) or at 1B. Does Feldstein wind up in RF, 1B or DH? Woodworth can play multiple infield and outfield positions. This could take some time to all sort out. A lot of who ends up getting playing time will depend on who gets hot with the bat.

Reaction Score
Don't count out frosh Andy Hague at 2B. It may take some time for his bat to come around, but his glove might get him some defensive innings.

Reaction Score
Don't count out frosh Andy Hague at 2B. It may take some time for his bat to come around, but his glove might get him some defensive innings.

In my mind with all the open positions on this team, if someone fields their position reasonably well and is able to hit, they have a chance to play. Penders in the past has shown he likes to ride a hot bat, so someone who comes out of the gate with some sort of hitting streak has a chance of sticking in the lineup.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Moriarity could be a dark horse. He flashed last year -- especially early -- and if he becomes more consistent, he could be a quality bottom of the order bat.

Reaction Score
Moriarity could be a dark horse. He flashed last year -- especially early -- and if he becomes more consistent, he could be a quality bottom of the order bat.

I expect Moriarty will get more than a fair chance to take over one of the open infield positions. One thing to note is that he did not hit well in summer baseball last year. Of course, you could say that about a number of players, and it is also true that the summer ball season is a pretty short time span to show your skills.

Reaction Score
The Willimantic Chronicle had a Jerry Trecker hot stove article on UConn baseball recently.

theChronicle.com

A few interesting tidbits that he got from Coach Penders:

Along with JUCO's Chase Gardner and Jeffrey Kersten, freshman Colby Dunlop could be a candidate as a Sunday starter. Penders says he has "dynamic stuff". Ronnie Rossomando had off season shoulder surgery and is again in the mix as a possible starter.

I've heard this elsewhere as well, Chris Winkel is getting a look in CF.

According to Penders, JUCO Mike Woodworth will be "in the lineup somewhere".

Ben Maycock may be "the revelation of the season".

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Wichita State must have some awful pitching to be ranked so low with those two infield beasts.

Reaction Score

Good to see these interviews now popping up on twitter. Hopefully Chris Jones will soon post longer interviews with the coaches about team going into the start of the season.

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball‏ @UConnBSB 4h4 hours ago
King of the North! Fun Fact: The Huskies 292 wins since 2010 is the most by any team in the Northeast region (including Maryland & West Virginia)! #UConnNation #18Days

DUuddXaVQAAJqzr.jpg

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@dbmill, do you remember at around what time last winter the updated roster came out? Starting to get a little antsy here...

Reaction Score
@dbmill, do you remember at around what time last winter the updated roster came out? Starting to get a little antsy here...

I'm always antsy for any roster posted on the UConn baseball website. I just looked it up. Last year was February 13 when it was mentioned on the Boneyard. I would hope it is a bit sooner this season just for the sake of our sanity.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom