UConn Athletic Facility Funding Coming Soon | The Boneyard

UConn Athletic Facility Funding Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I want UConn to compete in all sports, but it seems every penny should be invested into football and men's basketball at this point if we ever want to get into a better league that seems like the best investment, no?

Reaction Score
I want UConn to compete in all sports, but it seems every penny should be invested into football and men's basketball at this point if we ever want to get into a better league that seems like the best investment, no?
I think they need these 3 projects pretty bad...along with a facility for hockey. The upgrades to Gampel are in the process and the XL/Rentschler are taken care of by CRDA and state bond money.

Reaction Score
http://today.uconn.edu/2016/01/new-funding-strategy-for-athletic-facilities-upgrades/

A more detailed report from UConn Today. Sounds like they want to fast track these facilities. UConn will issue bonds for these facilities and pay them off with the surcharges and additional donations.
A very good idea....wondering if they will do the same with the hockey facility when the plans are finished. These kind of facility upgrades are why I look at Frazier as the man to succeed Warde. He has experience doing this kind of stuff from his time at Wisconsin...and is a D-1 hockey guy.

Reaction Score

FWIW our men's soccer team year in and year out is 2nd in the nation in attendance.

We draw around 4,300 people nightly and even at $5-10 per ticket it brings in probably more than $250,000 in gate revenue alone annually.

Ignoring the fact that I believe around $8 million of the renovations are being footed by UConn alum Tony Rizza, I think that alone is worthy of a stadium upgrade

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Don't worry.
When everything is built the surcharges will go away and ticket prices will be back to normal again.

rb1ua.jpg

Reaction Score

Honestly, the ice hockey, baseball, and softball playing facilities at UConn are so far behind the times that I can really see further delay as being an impediment to moving on to a better conference. While a large amount of money has been raised for the soccer facility, it is outmoded as well, but it is covered up by the fact that the men's soccer team is annually one of the top draws in the country.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
FWIW our men's soccer team year in and year out is 2nd in the nation in attendance.

We draw around 4,300 people nightly and even at $5-10 per ticket it brings in probably more than $250,000 in gate revenue alone annually.

Ignoring the fact that I believe around $8 million of the renovations are being footed by UConn alum Tony Rizza, I think that alone is worthy of a stadium upgrade

Yeah, I guess what I'm saying is if an extra half million gets us a better offensive coordinator, than I'd rather have that than a better soccer field.

I thought the gift was like 4M and matched another 4M too?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess what I'm saying is if an extra half million gets us a better offensive coordinator, than I'd rather have that than a better soccer field.

I believe it's 8 mil but UConn has to find an additional 5 mil as well in order to make it happen.

Reaction Score

"In fact, the planned future soccer facility already got a big boost of support with a pledge of $8 million from Tony Rizza ’87 (BUS). The Newington native played for the Huskies from 1983 to 1986. He gave $3 million of that amount in 2012, and has pledged the additional $5 million to match other people’s donations, which already has spurred several additional gifts from others."

Reaction Score
Honestly, I can't think of a single FB ticket holder that would be bothered by paying an extra 5 bucks per ticket per game for this. Everyone knows we are in P5 or bust mode. It's all hands on deck time by any means necessary.

Reaction Score

The XII may think about Basketball once a week, maybe; but, they are 24/7/365 football. The B1G on the other hand cares about the 'whole' package as the 'whole' package goes to the BTN. Thus, UConn's focus on the whole athletic 'package' would make sense from a certain point of view.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The XII may think about Basketball once a week, maybe; but, they are 24/7/365 football. The B1G on the other hand cares about the 'whole' package as the 'whole' package goes to the BTN. Thus, UConn's focus on the whole athletic 'package' would make sense from a certain point of view.

Disagree. B1G cares about football pedigree and cable boxes. Penn State/Nebraska and Rutgers/Maryland.

What UConn fans still refuse to acknowledge is that women's basketball means nothing. We have the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers women's team that wins every single season and if it mattered one iota don't you think we'd be snatched up?

And to clarify, baseball, soccer, hockey, whatever, matter even less.

Reaction Score
I believe it's 8 mil but UConn has to find an additional 5 mil as well in order to make it happen.

Yes this is correct. Which is what this BOT action will trigger I believe.

Reaction Score
Disagree. B1G cares about football pedigree and cable boxes. Penn State/Nebraska and Rutgers/Maryland.

What UConn fans still refuse to acknowledge is that women's basketball means nothing. We have the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers women's team that wins every single season and if it mattered one iota don't you think we'd be snatched up?

It matters to ESPN.

The ratings for the women's team top a lot of the money $$ sports.

People are fooling themselves if they think the women's program isn't making the TV people a good bit of money.

As long as you don't like money, women's bball don't matter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can't be attractive to the B1G if your Olympic sports facilities are hovering above HS level.

We've done FB and the BB practice facilities. Need a hockey barn proto, along with baseball and soccer. Gampel is a big enough nut that it will need to be it's own separate thing.

The time is now before the FB facilities will require an upgrade to keep up.

The price of P5 is a never-ending cycle of investments.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It matters to ESPN.

The ratings for the women's team top a lot of the money $$ sports.

People are fooling themselves if they think the women's program isn't making the TV people a good bit of money.

As long as you don't like money, women's bball don't matter.

I'm sure it matters to ESPN to be able to show the top UConn games every season.

I'm just saying it doesn't move the needle at all in terms of conference talk.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it matters to ESPN to be able to show the top UConn games every season.

I'm just saying it doesn't move the needle at all in terms of conference talk.

Surely, conferences talk to ESPN about expansion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Surely, conferences talk to ESPN about expansion.

Yes, and it's pretty evident that other than football and to a lesser extent men's basketball, the other sports don't matter.

We are not a good women's program, we are not a great women's program, we are THE best women's program that has success unparalleled in any other sport in the US and in tight realignment decisions, it hasn't tipped the scales our way.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is this a safe space? Can we talk about how in general WBB is horrible?

UConn WBB is valuable because it meets the bar of being a realistic option to fill time on an actual network that people watch. Especially, outside the state. You can only say that for a handful of WBB programs and usually only when UConn is on the other side.

They are trying to build a few more brands, and a few schools are taking their new TV money and trying to elevate their programs, but when the top team is beating everyone by at least 20, it isn't a real product.

Reaction Score
Yes, and it's pretty evident that other than football and to a lesser extent men's basketball, the other sports don't matter.

We are not a good women's program, we are not a great women's program, we are THE best women's program that has success unparalleled in any other sport in the US and in tight realignment decisions, it hasn't tipped the scales our way.

How is it evident? I'm really not getting you here. Anything that makes that kind of money is an good asset.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is it evident? I'm really not getting you here. Anything that makes that kind of money is an good asset.

What's so hard to understand about it doesn't move the needle for conference realignment?

Sure it's an asset. Is it material? No.

Reaction Score

Football cannot fill 100% of a TV Channel's programming slate and still be successful. Just take a look at the Longhorn Network which has approximately 10 million subscribes (Verizon Fios & , most of whom are in Texas, from the data I could find.

The B1G Network has over 50 million subscribers (2013) and has programming slots dedicated to basketball, hockey, etc. because not everyone want to watch college football 24/7/365. UConn offers a range of sports to fill those slots, especially in comparison to Kansas and to provide successful programs, must offer a competitive and attractive product. What is an attractive product - just look at UConn's baseball field versus Penn St's.

UConn Christian field.jpg

The ACC does not have a network and was more interested in saving itself from 'potentially' losing FSU and Clemson to the XII and dealing with internal politics, both of which are short-term issues, than what is best for the conference over the long term. Thus, Louisville was picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom