UConn at Providence Thoughts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn at Providence Thoughts

Reaction Score
Wrong? Not necessarily. Most probably just stupid. But, what can I say?

Expectations? Met!

What part is stupid? If you’re going to try and insult me, make it interesting or funny.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Amen, Providence is going to drive. We don't get any rim protections from Adama and Karaban. Need Clingan's rim protection and board work on both ends.
Sanogo provides rim protection, the failure is the same as it's ever been, recovering in time on the high hedge or from guarding a big that shoots from outside. Andre hasn't been good guarding the paint and Karaban is a little better but still doesn't block shots. Opponents attack the rim even more aggressively when AJax is the 4, it's a bad lineup for us. I've said for months, if we are going to keep sending Sanogo outside, we need Johnson at the 4. Agree, this is a matchup where Clingan can and will play more, and where Sanogo shouldn't be chasing outside. The last two games featured multiple bigs that can shoot from outside. We need to play PC defensively the way Xavier played us, and keep Sanogo and Clingan in drop.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Play Big East Husky hardball. Drive, crash the boards, start the rock fight don't react to it. You know it's coming. Chucking 3s isn't our game. Unleash the Clingan monster early and often. We're not at the FT line because we're not challenging defenses. Providence is a good, not great team but they're not going to just show up. Question is, will we? We got our bell rung a few days ago, who are the leaders on this team? That's what bounce back games tell you. It'll be a good one.

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
What part is stupid? If you’re going to try and insult me, make it interesting or funny.
Providence has a good team. Cooley is a good coach, with an impressive track record against Coach Hurley.

You seem to believe that the Friars will just turtle and we will run them out of the gym.

Stupid? Probably. Maybe just profoundly ignorant.

Reaction Score
Add all that in with one of the craziest homecourts in college basketball, it’s going to make for a very close and intense game

Is this really a thing or was this a bit of sarcasm? I mean this in the most sincere way.. outside of the Nova game I don't ever remember hearing about their homecourt advantage. They proved last year that they can be. Possibly this is me just not remembering their homecourt after not playing them for so many years

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Is this really a thing or was this a bit of sarcasm? I mean this in the most sincere way.. outside of the Nova game I don't ever remember hearing about their homecourt advantage. They proved last year that they can be. Possibly this is me just not remembering their homecourt after not playing them for so many years
yeah, they're fans and students show up. I noticed it last year how crazy it was

Ignore the song

Reaction Score
Look guys, it's pretty simple - we had a very bad defensive game.

Xavier being the best offensive team we've played made it look even worse.

Even great teams have a bad game occasionally.

Sanogo was stuck in no-man's land on switches (not even high hedges, just plain basic switches) more times in this gaem than in probably all the previous 14 games combined.

Our weak-side help rotation was late getting into the lane all game. No matter who it was. Also not characteristic of our usual level of defense.

I am sure the guys saw a ton of game footage on it and restoring our usual level of D was a point of emphasis during practice the last few days.

We don't need to do a complete defensive overall, nor do we need to abandon the high-hedge, look into the transfer portal for replacements for Sanogo or Karaban, etc., etc. Fricken relax.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Sanogo was stuck in no-man's land on switches (not even high hedges, just plain basic switches) more times in this gaem than in probably all the previous 14 games combined.

Our weak-side help rotation was late getting into the lane all game. No matter who it was. Also not characteristic of our usual level of defense.

I am sure the guys saw a ton of game footage on it and restoring our usual level of D was a point of emphasis during practice the last few days.

We don't need to do a complete defensive overall, nor do we need to abandon the high-hedge, look into the transfer portal for replacements for Sanogo or Karaban, etc., etc. Fricken relax.

A lineup of Nunge, Freemantle, Jones, Kunkel and Boum is going to make a lot of defenses look bad. Providence doesn't have a lineup like that.

Xavier would be 14-1 if Miller had been able to wash the Travis Steele off this team faster. Steele was a beta coach that had his team expecting to lose close games, and you could see Xavier playing like that in November and December. He reminded me a lot of Lappas. Colby Jones and Freemantle did whatever they wanted under Steele, which was usually just enough hero ball screwups to cost them close games.

Miller has Xavier playing more disciplined (with the exception of maybe Jones) and confident. It is a completely different team now. Xavier is Colby Jones playing under control and one bench guard becoming a bigger scoring threat from being challenging for a Final Four spot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Sanogo was not the problem on D. Most of what people here saw as a defensive lapses, were Sanogo attempting to defend a player that one of his teammates was supposed to be guarding. The perimeter D is what broke down, we didn't switch or fight through screens quickly enough. You could go zone, but both Nunge and Freemantle can shoot. As for Clingan you've got two clips, one, he's sticking in the paint and Nunge is just completely unguarded for 3. Next, he comes out on Nunge, who blows by him for a layup. If you want to know why he didn't play much, that's why.

Just a few clips, but where bigs involved: Freemantle is well defended and hits a tough shot on AS. Then Freemantle burns Karaban. Then DC is miles away from Nunge on a 3. Then high hedge by AS, P&R with Karaban in the paint and Nunge scores +1. Sanogo high hedge, Hawkins is late from covering the lane, leads to an open 3. Sanogo hedging, AK in paint and he can't handle Hunter, scores +1. Sanogo and Newton out on Nunge, Newton late coming off screen and Jones has an easy layup. DC comes out to guard Nunge, who easily drives by him for a layup. Sanogo comes out on Nunge who is screening, Nunge rolls and the paint is empty (don't know if that is on AS or Alleyne, but AK had to stay with Freemantle. Sanogo suggests somebody was supposed to cover the paint). AS and AK both in the paint and move to stay with Nunge and Freemantle, Boum burns Diarra. Sanogo trailing Nunge, AK on Freemantle, Hawk burned by Boum (Newton nearly a steal in help), AK slides over, and another +1. Freemantle scree, Boum goes around, AS has to stay because Joey is slow on the switch, then AS can't get back to Freemantle on a 3. AK on Freemantle, AS on Nunge, double screen, Jackson loses Jones, AK tries to slide over and can't stop Jones [should have been a moving screen on Freemantle who picked off AJax]. AS on Freemantle who screens AJax, AS comes out on a Boum 3, Hawk tries to block out Nunge down low, Jones gets the board and scores [Newton's error caused Hawk to leave Jones].

Reaction Score
Sanogo was not the problem on D. Most of what people here saw as a defensive lapses, were Sanogo attempting to defend a player that one of his teammates was supposed to be guarding. The perimeter D is what broke down, we didn't switch or fight through screens quickly enough. You could go zone, but both Nunge and Freemantle can shoot. As for Clingan you've got two clips, one, he's sticking in the paint and Nunge is just completely unguarded for 3. Next, he comes out on Nunge, who blows by him for a layup. If you want to know why he didn't play much, that's why.

Just a few clips, but where bigs involved: Freemantle is well defended and hits a tough shot on AS. Then Freemantle burns Karaban. Then DC is miles away from Nunge on a 3. Then high hedge by AS, P&R with Karaban in the paint and Nunge scores +1. Sanogo high hedge, Hawkins is late from covering the lane, leads to an open 3. Sanogo hedging, AK in paint and he can't handle Hunter, scores +1. Sanogo and Newton out on Nunge, Newton late coming off screen and Jones has an easy layup. DC comes out to guard Nunge, who easily drives by him for a layup. Sanogo comes out on Nunge who is screening, Nunge rolls and the paint is empty (don't know if that is on AS or Alleyne, but AK had to stay with Freemantle. Sanogo suggests somebody was supposed to cover the paint). AS and AK both in the paint and move to stay with Nunge and Freemantle, Boum burns Diarra. Sanogo trailing Nunge, AK on Freemantle, Hawk burned by Boum (Newton nearly a steal in help), AK slides over, and another +1. Freemantle scree, Boum goes around, AS has to stay because Joey is slow on the switch, then AS can't get back to Freemantle on a 3. AK on Freemantle, AS on Nunge, double screen, Jackson loses Jones, AK tries to slide over and can't stop Jones [should have been a moving screen on Freemantle who picked off AJax]. AS on Freemantle who screens AJax, AS comes out on a Boum 3, Hawk tries to block out Nunge down low, Jones gets the board and scores [Newton's error caused Hawk to leave Jones].

Not sure what you're watching. There was no reason for Sanogo to be doing those soft double teams on the perimeter. I don't know if that's Hurley telling him to do that or Sanogo just doing it but it left the lane wide open for layups.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're watching. There was no reason for Sanogo to be doing those soft double teams on the perimeter. I don't know if that's Hurley telling him to do that or Sanogo just doing it but it left the lane wide open for layups.
It is absolutely our designed defense. Especially against any screener who can also shoot. We do that every game. Usually the perimeter guys do a better job.

Reaction Score
It is absolutely our designed defense. Especially against any screener who can also shoot. We do that every game. Usually the perimeter guys do a better job.
There's no reason for him to be doing soft doubles out at the three point line. The guard has the guy in front of him. Sanogo comes out with a soft double leaving the lane wide open and they just pass out of it for a layup.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There's no reason for him to be doing soft doubles out at the three point line. The guard has the guy in front of him. Sanogo comes out with a soft double leaving the lane wide open and they just pass out of it for a layup.
Then complain to Hurley. This is what we always run, and I've had the same complaint all along. Against most teams, it's fine. Against Xavier (and Creighton & Nova) it poses problems due to bigs who can shoot. But when DC was in, and played deep drop coverage, Nunge just took the open 3. Hurley has always prioritized taking away the 3, and not the rim. That screener is Sanogo's man, and since he can shoot, he can't cover that man and the rim. It's not a soft double, he's guarding the screener. The one time in the clips he came off to disrupt the drive, they kicked to the screener, Freemantle for an open 3.

I hoped we'd switch more on screens with all this size outside, but we tried to go around all of them and our guards and wings got burned.

Reaction Score
Providence has a good team. Cooley is a good coach, with an impressive track record against Coach Hurley.

You seem to believe that the Friars will just turtle and we will run them out of the gym.

Stupid? Probably. Maybe just profoundly ignorant.
Oh right. You're knocking us all over with a feather with that insight. "Good team, good coach". Seriously, try to keep it simple enough for us layman, please!

Reaction Score
Then complain to Hurley. This is what we always run, and I've had the same complaint all along. Against most teams, it's fine. Against Xavier (and Creighton & Nova) it poses problems due to bigs who can shoot. But when DC was in, and played deep drop coverage, Nunge just took the open 3. Hurley has always prioritized taking away the 3, and not the rim. That screener is Sanogo's man, and since he can shoot, he can't cover that man and the rim. It's not a soft double, he's guarding the screener. The one time in the clips he came off to disrupt the drive, they kicked to the screener, Freemantle for an open 3.

I hoped we'd switch more on screens with all this size outside, but we tried to go around all of them and our guards and wings got burned.
It's just useless defense against a team that has high offensive execution. It's effectively a soft double. He doesn't guard the screener or the guy with the ball and our lane is left wide open.

Reaction Score
Agreed but there’s a different between Hawkins and Karaban taking 8 threes and Jackson taking 8 threes. He should be as confident driving to the lane as he is taking threes.
THIS.
I am sure I am not remembering well, but it has been a while since I've seen Jackson drive and make a layup, contested or not. I LOVE him as a player, such a freak athlete and incredibly fun to watch. That makes it even more frustrating to not see that development and progress in his game. That would make him a surefire lottery pick. And a total get off my lawn comment, but in warmups I always see him try crazy dunks versus layups. I 100% understand he's an energetic presence and that is his role, but man if he could finish at the rim with his left and right hand he could be really something special next level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wait if they’re heaves he shouldn’t be taking them. They wouldn’t have counted because only the first 9 meant anything? You people are ridiculous when he made the great steal and we still had a small chance he shouldn’t have shot it so fast if he didn’t think he could make it. Oh he knew “it was just a heave.” Such crap
Should’ve be an easy layup attacking on a fast break after that steal.

Reaction Score
He was 4-8 before the end of the game barrage. I’ll take that every day
AJ’s first two were misses when he got the ball wide open, hesitated looking to pass, realized no one was going to guard him, and rather reluctantly threw up a shot. Didn’t shoot in rhythm.

After that, he shot in rhythm as soon as he got the ball and made 4 of his next 6. Before the end of game heaves.

I’m good with him shooting a 3 every time when standing still at the 3pt line and not being guarded. I just don’t want him shooting off the dribble yet.

Reaction Score
GET TO THE RIM. He is such a good passer, when he moves the defense, other shooters open up.
Hurley isn't stupid. But I wish he pushed Jackson earlier.

In the Huskies’ last few games since Big East play began, opponents have left Jackson, UConn’s dynamic captain and an elite defender, wide open on the offensive end, turning extra focus onto Adama Sanogo in the paint.

Shooting isn’t one of the many strengths in Jackson’s game, though it is improving, and he seemed to take the space as a personal slight, earning technical fouls for chatting at the Georgetown and Villanova benches. Against Xavier, he just kept shooting – and he made four of his first nine -- and was two assists shy of a triple-double.

“The way he was playing, he was on his way to a fabulous game,” Hurley said. “There are some things that we’re gonna try to take advantage of when people play off him that we’ve had two days to practice, beyond him just shooting 3s... We need him to be aggressive, I think, trying to score at the rim more. He’s such a great athlete and he’s got such great size that we get enough 3s from our 3-point shooters, we don’t need to take the ball when we have it at the rim and throw it back out to the 3-point line. When we’ve got a chance to put pressure on the rim, we’ve got to do it so we can get to the foul line or finish.”

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't stupid. But I wish he pushed Jackson earlier.

In the Huskies’ last few games since Big East play began, opponents have left Jackson, UConn’s dynamic captain and an elite defender, wide open on the offensive end, turning extra focus onto Adama Sanogo in the paint.

Shooting isn’t one of the many strengths in Jackson’s game, though it is improving, and he seemed to take the space as a personal slight, earning technical fouls for chatting at the Georgetown and Villanova benches. Against Xavier, he just kept shooting – and he made four of his first nine -- and was two assists shy of a triple-double.

“The way he was playing, he was on his way to a fabulous game,” Hurley said. “There are some things that we’re gonna try to take advantage of when people play off him that we’ve had two days to practice, beyond him just shooting 3s... We need him to be aggressive, I think, trying to score at the rim more. He’s such a great athlete and he’s got such great size that we get enough 3s from our 3-point shooters, we don’t need to take the ball when we have it at the rim and throw it back out to the 3-point line. When we’ve got a chance to put pressure on the rim, we’ve got to do it so we can get to the foul line or finish.”

Amen to that. Now let’s see what he does.

Reaction Score
GET TO THE RIM. He is such a good passer, when he moves the defense, other shooters open up.
This makes sense. If he can’t finish he gives it up, but he SHOULD try to drive and finish because defenses are laying off him creating problems for everyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom