UCONN at Memphis Game Thread 2-7 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN at Memphis Game Thread 2-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should we change the title of the thread to "Sleepwalking in Memphis"?

/rimshot

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
28-16 first half.

52-18 second half. With a small lineup.

Kia shot 9-9 on FTs. She's really coming on.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Courtney threw a lazy pass that would have been intercepted for an easy layup against a better team.

Geno calls a TO and seems rather unhappy with Ekmark. Didn't see what happened to earn his ire.

Reaction Score
Not to make excuses for Stewie, Tuck and Stokes' lackadaisical play and subsequent benching, BUT it must be difficult to go out there and give your hardest, best, all-out 100%effort every minute for every game when you know damn well before each and every tip-off that you're going to win by 40. Motivation, at times, can be a bitch.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Courtney threw a lazy pass that would have been intercepted for an easy layup against a better team.

Ok, thanks for the info. Surprised he'd call a TO for that, but then he wasn't in a forgiving mood today.

Reaction Score
IMO ofc they weren't at their best - and Geno the great coach he is- he sees warning signs. But he did this not only for the warning signs but imo because he wants his troops fired up for the next game. Is it all a big coincidence that his big 3 posts saw limited time? Did Stokes also see limited time?

And what did Dawn do recently? Bench Coates?

Reaction Score
The best thing that came out of the game is that Saniya's confidence is finally reemerging. Except for a few defensive lapses, she looked pretty terrific. Hope she can continue to build on the last few games...a big step up from her efforts since the Stanford game.

Reaction Score
If that's going to be the case Geno is loosing his mind.

Gneo hasn't lost his mind at all my friend. He's done this before. Whether it be 1 player or 3 and if you win what does it matter? You think this 1 game vs mighty Memphis is going to shatter their confidence?

Reaction Score
The best thing that came out of the game is that Saniya's confidence is finally reemerging. Except for a few defensive lapses, she looked pretty terrific. Hope she can continue to build on the last few games...a big step up from her efforts since the Stanford game.

Her shot looks more fluid? Or is it because it is going in it looks better. SLu said something to me last game but I didn't understand.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
John A is reporting this as if Geno simply gave his bigs time off before Monday's game. He can't possibly think that, but his tweets seem to indicate he does.

Reaction Score
John A is reporting this as if Geno simply gave his bigs time off before Monday's game. He can't possibly think that, but his tweets seem to indicate he does.
That's because Geno said Tuck and Stewie were tired, and that they must be tired because how else can you explain the way they are playing. He said it seriously, but it seems no one picked up on the sarcasm.

Reaction Score
Gneo hasn't lost his mind at all my friend. He's done this before. Whether it be 1 player or 3 and if you win what does it matter? You think this 1 game vs mighty Memphis is going to shatter their confidence?

It doesn't matter if they win or loose. What matter is their mentally toughness are not the same as Geno's. The consequence could be negative.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her shot looks more fluid? Or is it because it is going in it looks better. SLu said something to me last game but I didn't understand.

I thought Saniya was pushing her shot. It looked like a line drive with no arc; some were hitting the front rim. It has looked a hundred times better lately.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Historians, correct me if I'm wrong!

Didn't Geno do this to Stef Dolson either her sophomore or junior year. Around the Marquette game (before, during, or after). I remember after that she said she got the message!

Reaction Score
Geno said he enjoyed coaching the team. Said Saniya and Gabby were great, said Nurse played well, and K did too while being the tallest player out there for much of the game. Strong words for Stewie. Said Maya never had to be benched for motivation, nor Kelly Faris, or Stefanie Dolson, or Bria Hartley. There isn't going to be one standard of play for Stewie and another one for T(Law) and I don't give a damn if you're the player of the year or not.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if they win or loose. What matter is their mentally toughness are not the same as Geno's. The consequence could be negative.
The consequence will be that they don't play.

Reaction Score
Historians, correct me if I'm wrong!

Didn't Geno do this to Stef Dolson either her sophomore or junior year. Around the Marquette game (before, during, or after). I remember after that she said she got the message!

I know he did it with Charde just before a Tenn game. I'm certain he would have done it with Tina but I'd have to check.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thing was, the one they set on Saturday was a somewhat rusty and it took long time to spring. But even that was by design since the majority of their posts -- Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart and Kiah Stokes -- essentially were given the day off.

In this way, UConn certainly was thinking ahead to Monday’s showdown with No. 1 South Carolina at Gampel Pavilion. This mass prescription for rest could have been ordered for tactical or psychological reasons. Perhaps both were true. And as a result, it took the Huskies longer than usual to take it to the Tigers.

:confused:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-uconn-women-memphis-0208-20150207-story.html

Reaction Score
It was a New Years Eve game a few years ago, and coincidentally, my first ever game watching Uconn in person. I made a pledge to CPTV for some great under-the-home-team's basket seats (remember those lovely things we could bid on from CPTV?). We played Jen Rizzoti's Hartford Hawks in Hartford. I couldn't WAIT to see the great Maya Moore in action. Well she did a few dumb things right off the bat, and Geno benched her for most (and maybe ALL?) of the rest of that game. I was disappointed, but DID get to see Tiffany Hayes come off the bench and have her first statement game of her career. We later won the NCAA tournament that spring.

More recently, in February of 2013, I treated myself and some dear friends to a game at the XL Center for my birthday. We were ahead most of the game, but Breanna Stewart was playing slow and carelessly, and Geno benched her for most of the game right around the halfway mark of the first half. We wound up losing to Baylor (with Griner and Simms on the floor), but when the game was over, Geno Shmoozed with the fans, gave Baylor the credit for a great win, and we all moved on. We later won the NCAA tournament that spring.

My point is, Geno has been sending this message to his great players for a long time now, and it IS a message the great players respond strongly to. Don't second-guess him - I think he knows what he's doing at this point LOL.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger message Geno was sending was to WCBB.

The message is: If the plan to beating UConn is to try and foul out the POY (UConn has more than one), think again.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger message Geno was sending was to WCBB.

The message is: If the plan to beating UConn is to try and foul out the POY (UConn has more than one), think again.
Right. In this game the bench supplied 35 points, 21 rebounds, 5 blocks, and only 3 turnovers in 94 minutes. Not exactly a one player team.

Reaction Score
Right. In this game the bench supplied 35 points, 21 rebounds, 5 blocks, and only 3 turnovers in 94 minutes. Not exactly a one player team.
UConn bench 35 points, Memphis bench zero points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom