UConn Arkansas | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does anyone else get a sense that the analysts mostly look at Arkansas defense, say it's really good and will give UConn's elite offense trouble. Ok, sure, some trouble on the perimeter. But our defense is also really good, and Arkansas' offense is not good. So the real concern should be how Arkansas scores. The main option seems to be at the free throw line. That's it really. They need about 20 points at the line.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else get a sense that the analysts mostly look at Arkansas defense, say it's really good and will give UConn's elite offense trouble. Ok, sure, some trouble on the perimeter. But our defense is also really good, and Arkansas' offense is not good. So the real concern should be how Arkansas scores. The main option seems to be at the free throw line. That's it really. They need about 20 points at the line.
Their offense isn’t great, but what they do best is what our defense tends to struggle with, which is drives off of screens. But, with their lack of consistency in outside shooting, I think we can try to shrink their driving lanes a bit.

Reaction Score
Their offense isn’t great, but what they do best is what our defense tends to struggle with, which is drives off of screens. But, with their lack of consistency in outside shooting, I think we can try to shrink their driving lanes a bit.
I just really hope it doesn't end up like the first St. John's game where they were directed to take a step off on defense yet the players couldn't resist their hard close outs

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I keep getting the sense that their strengths play to our weaknesses. They pressure the ball and don't allow penetration, which is something we have struggled with. They also rely on dribble penetration in their offense, something that we have struggled to stop, but they also take and make a ton of 12-15 foot pull-ups, which can negate Clingan's rim protection. It will be interesting to see how we decide to defend them.

It's not the best matchup for us. We can all feel better if we play a high level game offensively. The difference in the 2 St Johns games wasnt how we defended but how we scored.

Reaction Score
It's not the best matchup for us. We can all feel better if we play a high level game offensively. The difference in the 2 St Johns games wasnt how we defended but how we scored.
Our defense was very, very bad in that loss.

Reaction Score
I think that first game against St. John's was a major outlier. We had just come off those three brutal road losses and the team was reeling. They didn't look confident at all and really never even showed up that game. Next time we played St. John's on the toad we had a 16 point lead with 2 minutes left.

I agree we still give up too many straight line drives. It's going to be an interesting matchup, we're the better more well rounded veteran team but they're even more athletic than us which is saying something.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ed Cooley is a Fraud and a Clown. He is unique in one way, he is the man who brought UConn and Providence fans in agreement.

Thanks Ed. We may put you up for a Nobel peace prize. Because that's the only thing you'll ever win again. Fraud

View attachment 85611
Portnoy came out with that immediately lol. He’s been going at it with Goodman for a couple days. Really good

Reaction Score
I think that first game against St. John's was a major outlier. We had just come off those three brutal road losses and the team was reeling. They didn't look confident at all and really never even showed up that game. Next time we played St. John's on the toad we had a 16 point lead with 2 minutes left.

I agree we still give up too many straight line drives. It's going to be an interesting matchup, we're the better more well rounded veteran team but they're even more athletic than us which is saying something.

Agree. Total outlier. There was a bad vibe in the building that day. Apathy and lethargy. The overall crowd didn't seem to care or realize that the team was playing badly and losing, the cheer squad was half asleep, sparse student section, the players looked slow/hungover.

I know I've said this before, but I think there was more to that game being a stinker than we may ever know. The whole coaching staff was away all day Saturday at Hoophall watching our new commits. First week/weekend of legal weed in CT, Hurley not able to burn the sage pre-game, High-Knees ref going into the crowd to talk sheet/argue, etc., etc.

NOT making any direct speculations, and the above is more just goofy joking, but it was the weirdest vibe game I can remember attending in-person.

Reaction Score
IMG_17021.jpg

Reaction Score
Walt Szczerbiak was on DP show this morning. He picked Arkansas and said it would be good game without mentioning UConn by name. Mentioned every other school.

Reaction Score
Walt Szczerbiak was on DP show this morning. He picked Arkansas and said it would be good game without mentioning UConn by name. Mentioned every other school.
Unrelated to this, Szczerbiak is just an A1 hater. So happy that Tyrese Haliburton proved that dork wrong.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Agree. Total outlier. There was a bad vibe in the building that day. Apathy and lethargy. The overall crowd didn't seem to care or realize that the team was playing badly and losing, the cheer squad was half asleep, sparse student section, the players looked slow/hungover.

I know I've said this before, but I think there was more to that game being a stinker than we may ever know. The whole coaching staff was away all day Saturday at Hoophall watching our new commits. First week/weekend of legal weed in CT, Hurley not able to burn the sage pre-game, High-Knees ref going into the crowd to talk sheet/argue, etc., etc.

NOT making any direct speculations, and the above is more just goofy joking, but it was the weirdest vibe game I can remember attending in-person.

So what about rematch in MSG? Ive talked about that game. St Johns hung 86 (one point more than the home loss) on us but lost.. Ive already conceded to discount the fact that we had a late lead and gave up points cruising. How much would you discount that for? 8 points I think is generous? So St Johns hung 78 us. What's that excuse?

Reaction Score
Ya I’m definitely concerned about our defense.

All the more reason we need 40+ points from Adama and Hawkins. Plus at least one double digit scorer from Tristen and Alex.

Reaction Score
Defense and rebounding then more defense and rebounding.

Stop their dribble penetration as much up as possible and let them settle for mid range jump shots. The more jump shots they take the better chance we have of rebounding the basketball and getting run-outs down the court so we can score in transition.
I really think we can take advantage of their players getting in the front court or out of position on their missed shots so we can get the rebound and get out running and have numbers on the break. The more we can score in transition the harder it will be for them to set up their pressure defense during our half court possession's.
I think we can get at least one 10-0 + scoring runs going.
Lets show them what 40 minutes of hell is all about.

Reaction Score
So what about rematch in MSG? Ive talked about that game. St Johns hung 86 (one point more than the home loss) on us but lost.. Ive already conceded to discount the fact that we had a late lead and gave up points cruising. How much would you discount that for? 8 points I think is generous? So St Johns hung 78 us. What's that excuse?
That’s what St John’s just does. Turns the game into a 70+ for each team game. Check out the box scores for their games vs Xavier, Marquette, etc.

UConn looked like a completely different team at MSG vs XL.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't love this, but not surprising considering the relative power ratings.
We have the worst odds of any favorite. Payout is lousy. Money has to be flowing to UConn.

Reaction Score
Unrelated to this, Szczerbiak is just an A1 hater. So happy that Tyrese Haliburton proved that dork wrong.
Agree, BUT he shouldn’t have. Brunson should’ve been in over Halliburton. But i digress

Reaction Score
Agree, BUT he shouldn’t have. Brunson should’ve been in over Halliburton. But i digress
Noooo. Haliburton has been tremendous all year and fully deserved. Incredibly efficient and >4.0 a/to ratio.

Brunson maybe over Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer