UConn applications skyrocket to record high, surpassing 50,000 for first time | The Boneyard

UConn applications skyrocket to record high, surpassing 50,000 for first time

Reaction Score
Yeah, great for the school.... not great when this is the year your strong student (but not 4.0) kid is applying. Unless of course she gets in, then we want it to have been as difficult as possible! :)

Hoping for the best, but it's crazy out there.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
@ $80/application for a fee, that's $4.5M. Just 2 years ago it was 43k applications. That's over a 25% increase in apps and and an extra million in fees. That's huge.

Reaction Score
I teach at a public high school in the greater New Haven area. My seniors have been hyperventilating all week since that report about the record number of applicants came out, coupled with knowing that decision emails are going out today (Friday 3/1). I told them not to be surprised if they get branched, and that it can be a great path for those who are OK with staying home for a couple of extra years. Adding to the stress is an apparent leak yesterday -- somehow they can see a screen online that has a field indicating which campus they have been admitted too. I've just been telling them it may be accurate, it may not, and that they will find out definitively soon anyway.

Kudos to all who get into UConn this cycle, either at Storrs or branched. I would never have gotten in if I was applying today.

Reaction Score
I teach at a public high school in the greater New Haven area. My seniors have been hyperventilating all week since that report about the record number of applicants came out, coupled with knowing that decision emails are going out today (Friday 3/1). I told them not to be surprised if they get branched, and that it can be a great path for those who are OK with staying home for a couple of extra years. Adding to the stress is an apparent leak yesterday -- somehow they can see a screen online that has a field indicating which campus they have been admitted too. I've just been telling them it may be accurate, it may not, and that they will find out definitively soon anyway.

Kudos to all who get into UConn this cycle, either at Storrs or branched. I would never have gotten in if I was applying today.
Yes, we have seen that site (leak was getting reported Monday). We're hoping it's accurate because of what it said for my daughter. It made things a little less stressful over the past few days, but I won't believe the info until we see the Storrs acceptance.

And I'm in the same boat as you. I NEVER wouldn't sniffed a UConn acceptance with my credentials.

Good luck to everyone and remember that this means a lot less than you think. My daughter has gotten some rejections that hurt, but she's excited about UConn and would've been able to get excited about the other good schools she got accepted at.

Reaction Score
It’s f*ing brutal….my daughter got branched yesterday…she’s crushed. Goes to a large regional hs in New Haven county with a tremendous reputation and tons of kids just like her can’t get Storrs. The 3.8, 7 APs, 2 sport captains, etc….

Almost makes me wish we never moved for the “better school district “ and just let her be the rockstar of a one

Reaction Score
It’s f*ing brutal….my daughter got branched yesterday…she’s crushed. Goes to a large regional hs in New Haven county with a tremendous reputation and tons of kids just like her can’t get Storrs. The 3.8, 7 APs, 2 sport captains, etc….

Almost makes me wish we never moved for the “better school district “ and just let her be the rockstar of a one
Perhaps they think she will likely go somewhere else. My daughter was accepted at the Stamford Campus, but she also has been accepted to UCLA, Rice, Brown, Syracuse, Quinnipiac and UNC Chapel Hill. But no Storrs. Oh well.

Reaction Score

This won’t make you feel better, but it was definitely easier to get into Storrs from out of state. My kid had very similar credentials as yours. I think UConn uses the branch system to the detriment of Connecticut kids. The branches, especially Stamford, are a nice option, but it’s not the same as a main campus.

I know some kids were waitlisted. Is it possible to get called up to UConn depending on how many kids accept? With so many applicants from so many kids applying to so many schools, UConn (like every school) is going to get a lot of declines.

We’re in NJ. My daughter got waitlisted at Rutgers. That never would’ve happened in the past, but they got 67,000 apps this year because they went common app for the first time. She wouldn’t have gone, but it was a slap.

Good luck with everything. We know your pain.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they think she will likely go somewhere else. My daughter was accepted at the Stamford Campus, but she also has been accepted to UCLA, Rice, Brown, Syracuse, Quinnipiac and UNC Chapel Hill. But no Storrs. Oh well.
That’s nuts. Definitely yield protection, but that’s kind of stupid. The schools are so afraid of someone saying no to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom