UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 21 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Any chance next years freshman make a Castle like impact next year or maybe 75%?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Any chance next years freshman make a Castle like impact next year or maybe 75%?

That's a pretty high bar to reach but I am expecting nice things from Nowell. Not Castle level play, but better than what should be expected from most freshman. I believe we are going to be thrilled with having landing him once he suits up for us.

Reaction Score
We need guys who are big enough to carry the historically huge target they will be carrying on their back.

Reaction Score
Cuse lands Eddie Lampkin from Cuse and are top 2 for Jyare Davis. Talented dudes but non shooters. Red is not taking a page from Hurley roster construction.

Reaction Score
Cuse lands Eddie Lampkin from Cuse and are top 2 for Jyare Davis. Talented dudes but non shooters. Red is not taking a page from Hurley roster construction.
Guess they're not playing zone anymore.

Reaction Score
People are sleeping on Abraham. He and his game evolved nicely this season. He's looking pretty beastly these days.
He’s gonna be that def stopper for us castle role but not as much on offensive his freshman year

Reaction Score
Second that
I still think Amari Williams is the answer at center. Nobody likes long highlight videos so here is a short clip from his junior year. He shows flashes court vision and a jump shot and that length on defense is ideal. I think he is the closest we can get to replacing Clingan via the portal. Just feels like the kind of guy whose strengths (defense and rebounding) will carry to a level up and being surrounded by better players in a supplemental role will enhance his offensive profile. I've watched so many videos of him and I love the idea of him at center. I'm no expert but I think he has "it."

I concur, has that certain comething

Reaction Score
Because he's not good enough to play in the NBA next season and we have NIL.
This is nonsensical. For one, Alex is who he is at this point. The only thing holding him back is his lack of elite athleticism. That isn’t getting any better next year or the year after. He will almost certainly get drafted and has a good chance of making a roster and any worst get a two way that pays him 500k.

He is a redshirt sophomore, if not this year, when!

Reaction Score
In all likelihood it was Kansas from the start, and he was just listing really good teams for the PR. His list was Kansas and then a bunch of teams still playing IIRC.
Looking at his two year stats, he regressed on FG and 3 point % and only slightly improved on mediocre FT % and rebounding in
23 minutes per game, so why would he be a hot commodity? What am I missing?

Reaction Score
Can we please keep this thread to recruits UConn is ACTUALLY connected with? There's are going to be thousands of players in the portal. It would be nice to have a space only for players we've actually connected with.
If UConn shows an interest, I would think that it would have to at least be considered.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Ultimately I think Karaban will come back. Rather than be a possible NBA minimum/two-way/G League guy, he would would be the big dog on campus, collect a nice chunk of NIL money, I would imagine he could finish his degree (even though he'll only have been here 7 semesters), and we should be competitive again. Similar for Diarra, I think there's more guaranteed money to be made here than overseas plus being a starter on a competitive team. Johnson hasn't shown anywhere near enough for a pro career and hasn't graduated, so I think he'll be back. Freshmen are coming back. Would love to add McNeeley and one of the seemingly many good bigs. I'm also pro Knowling/that kid from Stonehill/any veteran bench guy who wants to come to UConn to play the RJ Evans role for their final year of eligibility.
I'm wondering if he can get a post grad year (he is carrying 3 majors) since he is also very good academically. He might be a college legend by that time.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Any room on the squad for Abraham/Roumoglou/Ross?
Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Transfer
Stewart/Ross/Roumoglu
Karaban/Abraham
Transfer/Johnson/Singare

• Cliff Omoruyi at center(Amari Williams released his visits and UConn was not listed)
  • Derkack bench shooter role
  • Liam McNeely 2024 class commit would be found gold

IMO, goal has to be to repeat as Big East Regular season champs. Those 3 additions would certainly help the team’s chances there, but all of the returners will need to make big leaps in the offseason.

More guys will enter the transfer portal after the season is over. The staff learned how beneficial waiting can be with Cam Spencer’s commitment after missing on the Kansas dude, so it doesn’t make any sense to pencil guys in yet.

Will be fun to see how the roster comes together.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That's a pretty high bar to reach but I am expecting nice things from Nowell. Not Castle level play, but better than what should be expected from most freshman. I believe we are going to be thrilled with having landing him once he suits up for us.
Nowell from what Ive seen and heard is a Castle level defender. The one difference would be size. Steph is a unicorn at 6'6' and can guard anyone from 5'10' to 6'9'.

Steph is strong as bull too, but so is Nowell, he just won't have the 1-4 position versatility defensively Steph has. But he is going to make guards just as miserable as Steph has.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Nowell from what Ive seen and heard is a Castle level defender. The one difference would be size. Steph is a unicorn at 6'6' and can guard anyone from 5'10' to 6'9'.

Steph is strong as bull too, but so is Nowell, he just won't have the 1-4 position versatility defensively Steph has. But he is going to make guards just as miserable as Steph has.
Diarra is a better comparison. Pesty and strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom