UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
6th in minutes for Belmont has my head spinning. @Hey Adrien! do you have any idea?

Thinks it’s just a talented team, and fouls. Their PG Gillespie just visited MD. A forward in Cade Tyson is a big shooter and will be targeted by top schools but it seems he may want to stay in the south.

Reaction Score
Rumors that we have contacted Tarris Reed, a former top 50 recruit from U Michigan. FWIW I am the least connected person possible, just a guy who pays for a discord.

Reaction Score
6th in minutes for Belmont has my head spinning. @Hey Adrien! do you have any idea?
Two things:

1) Dia shared the center position w/ freshman Brigham Rogers. Belmont plays with the 29th fastest pace in the nation, so I can see why they'd rotate center position to keep the 6'9 240 Dia fresh and efficiency high. On that note, 23.2 minutes-per-game for a rim-protecting, three-level scoring big in a fast-paced offense doesn't alarm me.

2) Leading scorer Ja'Kobi Gillespie missed six days due to injury. That's ~190 minutes to go around there so my guess bigger guards Isaiah Walker and Jayce Willingham got more minutes at the 2 and 3 with Gillespie out.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1) Dia shared the center position w/ freshman Brigham Rogers. Belmont plays with the 29th fastest pace in the nation, so I can see why they'd rotate center position to keep the 6'9 240 Dia fresh and efficiency high. On that note, 23.2 minutes-per-game for a rim-protecting, three-level scoring big in a fast-paced offense doesn't alarm me.

2) Leading scorer Ja'Kobi Gillespie missed six days due to injury. That's ~190 minutes to go around there so my guess bigger guards Isaiah Walker and Jayce Willingham got more minutes at the 2 and 3 with Gillespie out.
Is Dia a rim protector? Sounds like a perfect option if so

Reaction Score
Rutgers fans claim we have dropped the bag for Griffiths. Just like Villanova fans claim we dropped a bag for Mark Armstrong. I do not believe either, but would love to pick up Gavin. I don’t think Steve Pikiell benefited his development.
Where are you getting this?

Reaction Score
Rutgers fans claim we have dropped the bag for Griffiths. Just like Villanova fans claim we dropped a bag for Mark Armstrong. I do not believe either, but would love to pick up Gavin. I don’t think Steve Pikiell benefited his development.
Gavin would be leaving for basketball reasons, Pikiell is a putrid offensive coach.

Reaction Score
Gavin would be leaving for basketball reasons, Pikiell is a putrid offensive coach.

I haven't watched a second of Rutgers basketball in years. I know this kid was a top 25-ish recruit who's been underwhelming at Rutgers. How good could he be here? (That's not sarcasm, I have no idea. He's not exactly lighting it up in NJ.)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I haven't watched a second of Rutgers basketball in years. I know this kid was a top 25-ish recruit who's been underwhelming at Rutgers. How good could he be here? (That's not sarcasm, I have no idea. He's not exactly lighting it up in NJ.)
I think he'd be an 8th-9th man next year and in line to start as an upperclassman. Projects as an elite movement shooter with size -- Duncan Robinson-type.

In the right system (ours) he could develop into a guy who goes late first/early second round.

Reaction Score
I think he'd be an 8th-9th man next year and in line to start as an upperclassman. Projects as an elite movement shooter with size -- Duncan Robinson-type.

In the right system (ours) he could develop into a guy who goes late first/early second round.
That’s been my thought. If he comes in, next year it feels like he’s competing for a Joey C role as a bench shooter and little more.

Reaction Score
I think he could be really good here. He's a 6'7-6'8 shooter with range and athleticism. I know the stats look bad but I chalk most of that up to Pikiell and the offense he runs. There simply aren't many open looks in that offense. The 60% ft's looks ugly but he only took 30 ft's all season. He would be going from arguably the worst big program offense in the country to the best offense in the country.

Cam had the ball in hands last year for them and he was a veteran so he had the savvy to create shots for himself despite the offensive system. It's difficult for a freshman in that terrible offense who is relying on coming off screens to get open looks.

Reaction Score
adding griffiths would probably mean two things: 1) Ball has to start, and as a result 2) we can only bring in one elite transfer.
I say that b/c bringing in griffiths plus 2 starting transfers would mean moving Ball to the bench and forcing Ross out of the rotation since neither Ross or Griffiths is big enough to play backup stretch 4:

Diarra---- Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Stewart-- Griffiths
Karaban--Transfer
Transfer- Johnson

Bench:
Roumeglou/Abraham/Singare

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think he could be really good here. He's a 6'7-6'8 shooter with range and athleticism. I know the stats look bad but I chalk most of that up to Pikiell and the offense he runs. There simply aren't many open looks in that offense. The 60% ft's looks ugly but he only took 30 ft's all season. He would be going from arguably the worst big program offense in the country to the best offense in the country.

Cam had the ball in hands last year for them and he was a veteran so he had the savvy to create shots for himself despite the offensive system. It's difficult for a freshman in that terrible offense who is relying on coming off screens to get open looks.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence guys with shooting profiles have career years for us(Hawkins/Joey/Cam).

Reaction Score
adding griffiths would probably mean two things: 1) Ball has to start, and as a result 2) we can only bring in one elite transfer.
I say that b/c bringing in griffiths plus 2 starting transfers would mean moving Ball to the bench and forcing Ross out of the rotation since neither Ross or Griffiths is big enough to play backup stretch 4:

Diarra---- Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Stewart-- Griffiths
Karaban--Transfer
Transfer- Johnson

Bench:
Roumeglou/Abraham/Singare

Abraham or the Greek will back up Karaban most likely IMO.

And Ross is not a 2, or close to it. Griffiths slots in that role better in thos hypothetical.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Griffiths could move into some PT quickly if he locks in on D. Spencer and Newton gone leaves a BIG hole for some perimeter shooting.

Athleticism with Abraham, Ball, etc. is there, but we can absolutely use a shooter, even in a 6-8 man reserve role.

Just speculating on speculation, I’ve been intrigued by him since his recruitment and I’m sure he’s still got a good relationship with the staff.

Reaction Score
Assuming Griffiths is in fact in play. Would be curious to see the impact his prospective interest might/would have on our continued interest in Derkack and McNeeley. I'm sure the staff has some preliminary ideas about next year's roster . Seems like there may be some overlap among those three re: their profiles. Griffiths looks like the sniper among the three.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Abraham or the Greek will back up Karaban most likely IMO.

And Ross is not a 2, or close to it. Griffiths slots in that role better in thos hypothetical.
yeah backup PF is the least of our concerns with AK as the starter and stew capable as well. If GG can play SG then there's room for 1 more starting quality transfer.

Diarra---- Nowell
Ball-------Griffiths
Stewart-- Ross
Karaban--Roumeglou
Transfer- Johnson

Bench:
Transfer/Abraham/Singare

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley should give the coaches a list of portal targets and assign one assistant to work it. The rest focus on game prep. It's a different world today.
Hmmm. Management 101. He has a guy for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom