UConn and Notre Dame Remain Unbeaten | The Boneyard

UConn and Notre Dame Remain Unbeaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Indiana and Iowa State lost today leaving the best two teams in WCBB unbeaten.

Reaction Score
Tough day for ISU hoops fans ... men's and women's teams both pick up first loss today (to OK and OK St repsectively).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
ND may or may not be the 2nd best team in the nation.... What have they done this season to make you think they are ???
100% agree - they very well may be, but they have yet to do anything that would make that definitive.

They have done enough to deserve the #2 ranking - but until they have success against the upper crust of the ACC, I'm not anointing them yet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
100% agree - they very well may be, but they have yet to do anything that would make that definitive.

They have done enough to deserve the #2 ranking - but until they have success against the upper crust of the ACC, I'm not anointing them yet.

Alot of people already have them penciled in as the ACC Champs.... but as I channel my inner Dennis Green... "if you want to crown em, then crown their
Donkey-2123.jpg
"

I'll wait until the second weekend in March before i render a decision :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Both Sagarin and Massey have UConn well up and then Duke at #2, ND at #3, and Stanford #4 all close together. So anointing ND as #2 could be a bit premature, as kicking around the BC Eagles at home yesterday is not a huge feat.

The story for ND during the regular season will revolve around how they do in a 6-game stretch from Jan. 20 to Feb. 6 when they have 4 road testers against ranked teams, and the finishing trio of games from Feb. 23 to March 2 when they face three more ranked teams. If they get through those games unscathed or mostly so, then they are indeed the #2 team. But it certainly won't be easy.

Also not easy is a UConn fans dilemma about who to root for in that Jan. 20 game at TBA. The Vols will be following that game with some maybe semi-tough games against FL, Texas A&M, and Arkansas, so the ND game will be a good prep for them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Also not easy is a UConn fans dilemma about who to root for in that Jan. 20 game at TBA. The Vols will be following that game with some maybe semi-tough games against FL, Texas A&M, and Arkansas, so the ND game will be a good prep for them.
Are you smokin' crack??? Not easy for UCONN fans to decide who to root for? It's like saying who's worse - Satan or a cat burgler? ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are you smokin' crack??? Not easy for UCONN fans to decide who to root for? It's like saying who's worse - Satan or a cat burgler? ;)
Actually, as much as I want Tennessee to lose, I'm ready for ND to lose a game as well.

Tough call for me.

I will have to settle for a Tennessee loss in a close really ugly game, putting ND at the same level as Tennessee.

I'll have to be patient until the ND games against Maryland and Duke for the first ND loss......or two.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, if you're saying UTenn is the Great Satan, that's just so way gone yesterday, plus the fact that they've minded their manners and stayed away from the FF for many years and they have more BY posters than ND these days. So you can say kumbayah and let's go back to 1994 and all.

If you're saying that ND is the Big Beelzebub because of those two semis losses and the 7 defeats in recent years, well I guess, but now they're going to be stewing in the ACC brimstone, so they deserve some sympathy for the devil there.

Think I'll just root for the TBA timer to his job right, whatever that means.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for ND to dispatch all of its opponents (and especially the Orange Ones) convincingly by double-digit margins, setting up a National Finals match that the whole world of WCBB deems to be competitive and therefore interesting -- and that will draw high TV ratings. And then for UConn to win that game by 10-15 points, which seems about right.

After that, I hope that the UConn-ND rivalry will become the central media focus of the sport for as long as Geno and Muffitt continue to coach. Ideally it will be as big as UConn-Tenn was in the old days, but without the poisonous accusations about recruiting practices. If it dispels the notion that it is impossible for anyone to compete with UConn, that will be a good thing.

Reaction Score

I'm on the fence. As another poster suggested - it's been a while Vols have made a ff. And Notre Dame - the university - I have no love for. They shove their arrogance of football down the entire nation's throat. So its tough to root for them even though Muffett is very likeable. And I wonder if they were one of the backstabbing schools that didn't have the courage or didn't care abut the UCONN men's team being punished way too harshly in the NCAA. UCONN should have been playing in the BE Tourney last year. I believe a school like Syracuse stood up for us. Not sure who else.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
ND will hang on today, but they were only up by 2 with under 4 minutes to go.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand all the hatred for Notre Dame. All they do is play basketball and win. No different than others hating UCONN for winning. They have an excellent coach and push UCONN to their limits and I hope this outstanding rivalry continues.

68 TO GO

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand all the hatred for Notre Dame. All they do is play basketball and win. No different than others hating UCONN for winning. They have an excellent coach and push UCONN to their limits and I hope this outstanding rivalry continues.

68 TO GO

What does "all they do is play basketball and win" have to do with hating? You mean you can't understand how anyone can hate UCONN women?

As for me, I can care less if ND pushes UCONN "to the limits." It still doesn't take away the arrogance of the University of ND when it comes to football.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

68 TO GO
Same thing could have been said of UTenn a while back. All they did was play basketball and often win. They had a HOF coach and sometimes pushed UConn to the limits. Muffet is no Pat in behavior, but chippiness between fans of top teams is very understandable, especially when you sum up ND's whole blood-sucking relationship with the Big East, and with UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think I dislike ND more than UT, but expect the Irish to win. Duke will need a good game to beat them. I don't see anyone else in the ACC challenging them. We could indeed see undefeateds in the NC game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think I dislike ND more than UT, but expect the Irish to win. Duke will need a good game to beat them. I don't see anyone else in the ACC challenging them. We could indeed see undefeateds in the NC game.

No way ND makes it through the ACC unscathed this season. If they do.... I'll eat fried fish every friday til the end of the year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No way ND makes it through the ACC unscathed this season. If they do.... I'll eat fried fish every friday til the end of the year.
You're on! With Gray still not 100% and Williams having plateaued, it'll be tough. I doubt anyone beats them in South Bend. Sometimes they don't look that good, but they are tough and resourceful and Muppet is a very good coach.

I really hope you're right. I think, though, the game at Cameron is the only possible regular season loss for them, despite how they played today. You'll hate playing them 3-4x. Just absolutely hate it. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand all the hatred for Notre Dame. All they do is play basketball and win. No different than others hating UCONN for winning.
Take it up with Stef Dolson who was just quoted as saying, "They don't like us and we don't like them."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're on! With Gray still not 100% and Williams having plateaued, it'll be tough. I doubt anyone beats them in South Bend. Sometimes they don't look that good, but they are tough and resourceful and Muppet is a very good coach.

I really hope you're right. I think, though, the game at Cameron is the only possible regular season loss for them, despite how they played today. You'll hate playing them 3-4x. Just absolutely hate it. :)

You dont think Maryland can beat them in College Park ? Im not sure where they play Florida State. I think the irish lose in Durham, but wins the rematch in South Bend.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You dont think Maryland can beat them in College Park ? Im not sure where they play Florida State. I think the irish lose in Durham, but wins the rematch in South Bend.
Notre Dame's upcoming road games against ranked teams include Tennessee, Maryland, Duke, Florida St. and NC State. Their only upcoming home games against ranked teams are Duke and UNC.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. Hence my earlier post. I'm stunned that any UCONN fan would root for Tennessee over ND, but some folks feel about ND as they do about the Duke men. Attitude of being most deserving all the time, and simply better than everyone just because of the name on the jersey. But my dislike for Tennessee stems directly from their holier than thou fans, all the crap they pulled against Geno, UCONN, and even our own fans, and my general dislike for that puke color they have everywhere on their uniforms. ;)

Reaction Score
All right, if everyone is going to dislike them for their own reasons then I'm going to dislike them too. :mad: to N.D.

68 TO GO

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. But my dislike for Tennessee stems directly from their holier than thou fans, all the crap they pulled against Geno, UCONN, and even our own fans, and my general dislike for that puke color they have everywhere on their uniforms. ;)
Yeah, but ES, UTenn does have a lot of holes now, and that makes them almost lovable. They are in the past, and right now you know there are some idiot Irish fans out there saying that their team is undefeated and has done mainly pretty well against UConn recently except for that last game, and maybe they should be #1 since they think their team is the #1 team in what they think is the #1 conference that their team has pimped over to.

Just saying, if Meighan Simmons puts down 50 against the Irish at TBA and the Vols somehow win, I'll get a chuckle out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom